“EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #32 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Thank you for a most memorable stay last weekend. We came with our 8 month baby and from the time we arrived to the time of departure the staff were attentive, friendly and made us feel very much at home. I was a little unsure if we would find the hotel child friendly or a little stuffy as some of the reviews suggested. I cannot disagree more. The staff made our baby feel very special but I doubt he will remember it!
Please keep up the great traditions and levels of service you provide and we will certainly return.
p.s The afternoon tea was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IWJ
Write a ReviewReviews (3,702)

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Back in September, we took my mum for her 50th birthday for afternoon tea at the Ritz. We found the whole experience just fantastic, me and my mum are big 'Downton Abbey' fans, and this really did give you the feel of having stepped back to the time of ruling Aristocracy. Everything was impeccable, service, layout and food, as you can imagine. Half way through the piano and the harp began to play background music which just added to the whole ambience. Near the end, the harp began to play happy birthday and the waiters brought out beautiful little birthday cakes to all those there to celebrate the occasion - a very nice touch.

We did not have a bad word to say about the experience, and would say it's definitely an experience for your bucket list.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ced1g10
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz last week, as part of an Orient Express trip, I can't praise it enough, it was truly wonderful in every way.
A fantastic experience for us both and one we will always remember.

The hotel is amazing, true Britsh luxury, the staff there are so good, we were very spoilt, the bar and cocktails are wonderful and we were made to feel very welcome.
Rooms are amazing as is the decor, the dining room we had breakfast can only be described as "the best I have ever seen".
If your worried about a dress code then what's the point in going, you would be mad not to put on your best and enjoy the Ritz!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steven M
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Afternoon tea was such a great experience in such grand settings, the staff, from the doorman to the waitors to the cloakroom attendant, were so lovely and added to making the afternoon fantastic. The food was delicious, as expected! However me and my friend agreed on our next visit we would stick to drinks in the Rivoli Bar as the cocktails were simply superb, the service was impeccable and the atmosphere was slightly more relaxed and to our taste. Fantastic experience and looking forward to returning sometime soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We booked this hotel through AmEx who offered a a great deal for the room which included breakfast. The reviews are correct. Sort of. The "Proper Ritz" as the Londoners call it, think old world charm, Titanic, Afternoon Tea, breakfast and breakfast room - all over the top. If I based this review on the Ritz's old world glamour, this would be a five star review. We were in a top floor junior suite with a small juliette balcony. You were not able to open the french windows of the balcony as they were secured shut with alarm wires and could only be opened the few inches the wires would allow. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem. However, it was quite warm when we visited and the a/c in our room was noisy and didn't get very cold. Our room was large and the bathroom beautiful, but there were few receptacles in the suite and none in the bathroom which had the only usuable mirror. This made it very difficult to wash and dry your hair. In order to charge cell phones, a necessary light had to be unplugged. Lastly, we found the mattress way to soft to be very comfortable. All things considered, it was a good experience of glitz, gold and old world charm and deserves four stars. If you plan on staying in London for any period of time, go for practicality, have tea at the Ritz, but consider staying at a more "modern" hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank panter
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Be very careful, Ritz Hotel in London. You may likely be one of the best hotels in London, but you refused me and my husband entry giving us the impression that we had "tourist off the tube needing the loo" stamped all over our foreheads when in fact we wanted to view your establishment to see the hotel to possibly make a reservation for lunch or dinner. For guests only we were told? Really? While we do recognize that you are on the tube line and tourists and families want to use your facilities, it was my first visit to London and our first day there and if it hadn't been for my jet lag I likely would have responded with "excuse me? - rather than my very tired "oh, I see". I've never been refused entry anywhere in my life!
You were my only blight in a remarkable city and a wonderful country. We spent three weeks in England, thankfully not at the Ritz.
By the way, I hail originally from Montreal and the Montreal Ritz, now newly renovated, still welcomes me. I think Liz and Dick got married there, right?
Katie Moyer
Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
44  Thank Katie M
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've read reviews on here from people criticising The Ritz for it's dress code policy. And I must confess I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, but after a few minutes in the building I "got it". A stay at the Ritz is not like staying at the Four Seasons or any other modern 5 star hotel. A stay at the Ritz is an experience and like any experience it's always better if you dress for the part!
From the moment we crossed the threshold we were made to feel welcome by the courteous staff. Check-in was conducted swiftly, followed by a brief tour of the hotel by an obviously proud member of staff before being taken up to our room.
The room was spacious and immaculately decorated. Plenty of hanging space in the wardrobes, a well stocked mini-bar and a very, very comfy bed. The bathroom is scrupulously clean with a large bath which is ideal for having a good soak in.
This stay came as close to perfect as I think it is practical to get. It's not perfect and if you really, really want to find something wrong you will.
My only true criticism is that the only way to get 'free' internet was to use their laptop in the hospitality lounge. In this day and age, if I can get it free in McDonald's I do not expect to have to pay for it in a 5 star hotel. But then the Ritz is not unique in this, it seems all the major 5 star hotels in London do this. At the end of the day, I could get online without additional charge and it was only a minor inconvenience, I wasn't there to surf the 'net and there are plenty of other far more interesting things to do in the hotel than that (the Rivoli bar is well worth a look)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank harblinger
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

What lovely feedback - I am so pleased you "got it"! You would be surprised how many people actually 'demand it". There are people who think that because we have a dress code and wonderful surroundings, that we are not warm, friendly and hospitable, however it is exactly because of the ambience that we all go out of our way to ensure that all visitors are treated with courtesy and respect. Yes, I am extremely pleased that you "got it"! Thank you. And please look out for interesting news regarding the internet charge next year. SB