“Fabulous birthday break”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #32 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have just returned home after a three night stay at the ritz for my 50th birthday. I've stayed in many 5 star hotels in many countries and this was the best ever. They made my birthday perfect, on arrival They had upgraded us to a 2 room suite from a superior suite simply because it was a special birthday. Staff were wonderful and the hotel is simply beautiful. We had a stunning 2 room suite overlooking the park, decor was perfect and the experience out of this world...I Woke up this morning, looked at the chandelier in my bedroom and didn't want to come home!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff who truly make the ritz experience so special. The hotels attention to detail and focus on really getting to know their guests makes it a very different holiday experience. I couldn't fault anything at all about the place, service, food, ambiance....and the cocktails are to die for! Seriously nothing was to much trouble for the staff, anything you wanted they would sort for you. Before going we had tried to get decent tickets for les miz and failed so asked at the hotel and Michael on the front desk worked his magic and got us two of the best seats in the house.
I can't wait to go back there. Michele from Cheshire

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park if you want a view. We had a corner suite which was fab as you...
1  Thank MicheleCheshire
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Indeed, at The Ritz, we only deal with The Best, and our relationships with the theatres, cultivated over many years, ensure that our guests and clients are allocated the cream of the tickets. It is always delightful to receive news that a special occasion has passed so smoothly and marked out for special memory. Thank you for choosing The Ritz, and I hope you will return again to celebrate with us. SB

Write a ReviewReviews (3,751)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz for one night only, but the brevity of our stay provided me with a snapshot of a hotel into which I have not stepped foot for a decade. Lots of high points. Great location in St James. Excellent service at all levels. Tight security, perhaps a bit too obvious, with the earpieces all over. Small lobby, quick registration. Plush carpets, rooms are beautiful with any amenity you could possibly want. No signs of wear anywhere. Expensive furnishings. We picked the least expensive room available, as we would be occupying it for less than 12 hours, but it was still extremely comfortable with a pretty view. Great bar, good late night snacks. Now the downside: everywhere you turn there is a sales pitch. The reception desk offered us a pricy membership in the hotel group's loyalty program...it costs money? There are display cases in the hallways hawking various wares. Awaiting us in our room was a live tv channel displaying jewels...only jewels. Tent cards on the bedside table, promoting Ritz gifts. It was really too much. If they just tone the marketing down a bit, it would be a better experience overall. If the commercial pitch does not bother you, the Ritz is a good choice.

2  Thank Lucinda00
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz for the first time during our latest EU trip. We normally stay at some small boutique hotels in the same neighborhood as the Ritz, but this time, because we were following "The Leading Hotels of the World", we abandoned our usual digs and checked in to the Ritz.

From the moment we walked in, the doorman, the receptionist desk, the bell hop, could all not be more inviting. When we entered the room, there were two hearts of rose pedals outlined on the bed in recognition of our anniversary. We joined friends in the bar for drinks and music. The ambiance was engulfing in luxury and style.

I will definitely be back! Thank you for such a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald R

Excellent. It gives me great pleasure to read that you were following the Leading Hotels trail, and that we did not disappoint. I sincerely hope that your anniversary will glow in your memory for years to come, and that you will help you to celebrate for many more years to come. Thank you. SB

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We visited London for a week in early October and stayed at The Ritz. The location is central to all and the rooms are beautiful decorated. The hotel is simply lovely; each public space is a sight to behold. And while the decor is over the top French antiques with gorgeous gilt everywhere the thing that makes this place so fantastic is the staff. My husband arranged a number of events prior to our arrival, everything was managed impeccably by the concierge Andy. And upon our arrival we received excellent recommendations and service throughout our stay from each and every person that we had the pleasure of encountering. Tony at concierge desk proved invaluable as well. The service is what makes this hotel THE place to stay in London.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 6fromCT

This review makes lovely reading. I know I repeat myself often, but our Concierges are quite remarkable and it is great to learn that you experienced the first class service they provide. Of course there is great teamwork involved and I am so pleased that the service we pride ourselves on was noted and appreciated by you. Thank you. SB

Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a fantastic experience, from the door staff 3 family members meeting you with over 100 years family tradition to the magnificence and elegance of all that is England. Churchill and Roosevelt held meetings here to discuss tactics and the bars and all staff are above excellence. If you do this just once it will make you feel like you have done the hotel of hotels. I have stayed all around the world but nothing touches this great institution, well done the berkleys for keeping it so English and harnessing our heritage for all to enjoy

Room Tip: I don't imagine the is such a thing as a bad room but if you want high tea at the traditional 3...
1  Thank Chris E
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Sir, thank you for your kind words. I and the staff are extemely proud to be part of such an historic English icon and indeed part of British history. I am extremely pleased that you approve! I hope we will see you again in our "hotel of hotels". SB

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

After trying several afternoon teas in London the Ritz had to be done at some point, not to disappoint the experience was lovely even though the cucumber sandwiches are perhaps an acquired taste!! Lovely cocktails in the bar, the only disappointing thing is that you are unable to take any of the left over cakes and treats home at the end of the experience, my advise is take a small box or napkin and pop them in your handbag for a tasty treat on your journey home:)

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Hethbow
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Driving into London from the countryside in a rental car on a Friday afternoon proved more hectic than expected. As we pulled up to the entrance of The Ritz, we received a warm and friendly greeting from Michael the Doorman. He invited us to leave everything with him and to go into the hotel and relax after our journey. We knew this was a great start to our three night stay.

Once inside, Michael the Concierge (the other Michael) worked his magic and arranged for the rental car company to come pickup the car so that we would not have to drive any more in London traffic. He even convinced the rental car firm to waive any fees. We were then shown to our lovely room which was located on the third floor. From the third floor one gets the full spectrum of the view into the reception lobby.

Anyone planning to stay at The Ritz London should make sure to have breakfast included in their room rate. Breakfast is served in the main dining room, which has long been hearlded as the most beautiful dining room in Europe. I take no issue with that statement. The servers dress in formal attire, but as with the entire Ritz staff, are friendly and polite. At breakfast, our server remembered which fruit juice we each drank and how we liked our toast prepared. We found formality (which a hotel like the Ritz deserves) without stuffiness.

I am not sure where they hide, but the cleaning staff managed to keep the bedroom amazingly clean, with towels replenished, toiletries refreshed and bed linens turned down in the evening. All this is done without troubling the guest.

I stayed at The Ritz a couple of times in the 1980's, when many Americans thought it was part of the Ritz-Carlton hotel group. This is not the case with this 100 year hotel that was lovingly built by Caesar Ritz. Every inch of this hotel is special, and the staff make it even better.

I think my wife cried as we left, and Michael the Doorman appeared sorry to see us leave and anxious for us to return. We do not want to disappoint Michael, a true ambassador for what may be the finest hotel in the world. I recommend the Ritz London to any traveler who can appreciate a place that is truly unique and magnificent, operated by a team that realizes what they have and what they need to do to preserve their traditions.

Room Tip: Our room faced a courtyard, as opposed to Piccadilly or Arlington Streets, which may have made a noi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

This review is a Hotelier's dream. I am so happy that you and your wife had such an enjoyable stay at The Ritz and were so well looked after by the long-serving members of staff that you picked out. Thank you for taking the time to detail your account of your stay and I hope that you and your wife will come back before too long. SB