“Quaint hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #347 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Dallas
“Quaint hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

We were plesantly surprised when we walked into our room. It was quaint and very roomy.

About a 10-15 min. walk to the Underground. Not much nearby.

Breakfast was good and the server who served us every morning was so cheerful and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2003
1 Thank MuchLoveForTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

Me and my husband stayed in Thistle Hyde Park for 5 nights. We had a nice room, yes it was very warm there but not too hot anyway. The toilet was beautiful, as well as the toilets in the lobby. Breakfast was really good and versatile. Staff were great and personal. The only problem to me was wall-to-wall carpeting, I'm not used to it, I think it's unnecessary. Overall very nice experience!

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — wall-to-wall carpets, there was no open window
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank London-Souvenier
Milton Keynes, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

Luckily we had booked ahead regarding a parking space (there isn't many of them). Room was a decent size, however we soon realised later in the evening that there was no air conditioning and couldn't get the window open either - it was ridiculously hot. After enquiring with reception, there were no fans either, so we got barely any sleep.

On the morning we checked out (way before the deadline), my partner left his mobile in the room by accident - he knew exactly where as well. We realised about 45 mins later or so. Phoned the hotel to tell them and they said they had already tidied the room and it wasn't found. Returned to the hotel to take it up with someone more senior and they still said the maid had not found it. It never turned up.

Later wrote to them to complain and to their credit we received a letter offering an upgrade on our next stay. We took them up on it some time later and had an upgrade. The room was much larger with a nice view of Hyde Park, however it looked like it needed a bit of decorating but it wasn't unpleasant. This room was fine all in all.

Good location, right near Lancaster Gate tube and over the road from Hyde Park. Parking not too bad either - I think it was about £15 a day. Would stay in again if it was a bit cheaper, but too expensive for what it is.

• Liked — Size of upgraded room, view of Hyde Park
  • Disliked — no air con on 1 occasion, reception not always helpful
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank R D
west midlands, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

i stayed at this hotel in April and i was very dubious about it after reading the reports on here. I have to say I honestly do not know what people are complaining about.

a colleague and I booked to stay in this hotel for one night so that we could attend a meeting the next day. I stayed in room 133 and she stayed in room 131. my room was located in an odd position between 2 floors!. however the room was clean and of a nice size for London. the bathroom however was HUGE. i had a full size bath, seperate shower, toilet, bidet and sink. all the sanitary ware had a gold filigree design on it and this was matched by the tiles. there were also complimentary toiletries that came in very useful.

my colleagues room was bigger than mine and had a very high ceiling and a mirror in it that ran from waist hight all the way to the ceiling. I have never seen a mirror so big. she also had a huge chandilier in the middle of the bedroom.

I found the breakfast to be very extensive with cereals, fruit, yoghurt and a full english cooked to order. my colleague had this and said it was excellent.

All of the staff i came across were very polite and attenitve. the concierge hailed us a taxi in the morning and didnt expect a tip which is very unusual!!!!

i can fully recommend this hotel the only thing i could complain about is that it is in a quiet area but then again that can be a blessing in london!!

• Liked — the victorian feel
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kezza26
malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

Not cheap and not good. Tired,battered seedy hotel. The unfotuneate staff did their very best but the hotel is understaffed to the point of their not being able to half cope. One of them told me it was an utter joke.
The breakfast was worse than a cheap seaside boarding house, Stale bread and tinned graperuit segments, or suchlike - don't even speculate on the cofee.

All the time I was there the central heating on my side of the building was not working and it went down to 3deg outside. Guests were appearing at the reception with their teeth chattering, blue with cold, to be told that it might be fixed in a few days. Being more enterprising, or just more pessimistic than most, I went up to Woolworths in Notting Hill and bought a fan heater for $9. So cold was the fabric of the building that I had to run it at full rate all night, each night.

When I checked out and once more complained bitterly they offered to 'process' the cost of the fan-heater ?

Do not stay here unless there is no room left under the Thames bridges.

• Liked — Proximity to Tyburn for the mangemnet and going home
  • Disliked — Everything, even the stress caused to the staff by things beyond their control,
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank annibalepreca
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

Initially I was reticent about staying at this hotel because of the previous reviews on this site. I'm extremely pleased I decided to "risk" it! The hotel was lovely - the staff were friendly and very attentive. The location was great - with lovely views of Hyde Park and served very well by public transport (including night buses for the clubbers!)

Daniel and Joanne - the guest relations managers- made us very welcome during our stay. It was my friends birthday and they even had a birthday card waiting for her, signed by the front of house staff. Nice touch!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good value place to stay!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank stevecbridge
Shipley, West Yorskshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

In contrast to some others I got a really good room. My corporate booking should have got me a single, but I ended up with a huge double with sitting area. I arrived fairly early - I think this is a good move, as when I went out to dinner there was a couple arguing about the state of their room and being denied a move - allegedly because the hotel was full, but it seemed very quiet to me.

Like others I found the hotel stiflingly hot - needed the fan on and window open in October.

The nearest tube is Lancaster Gate, but this is closed for refurbishment, making access more difficult at the moment. Not too well endowed with places to eat nearby - best bet is to walk to Queensway - 10 -15 minutes. Hotel restaurant looked very expensive. Breakfast was lovely and a rare treat - cooked to order.

Not enough staff at reception in the morning, I had to queue for ages to check out as the sole member of staff seemed to be covering the phones and room service all at once as well as dealing with someone with a complicated bill.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — the heat
  • Tips/Secrets — arrive early
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank YorkshireUKtraveller