“A very disappointing stay”
Review of Thistle Hyde Park

Thistle Hyde Park
Ranked #363 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hamilton
“A very disappointing stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and I had 4 nights at the Thsitle - booked well in advance. Firstly, our executive room was not available for the first night and so we were put in a small double room . Admitedly we were then upgraded to a "Junior Suite" for the other 3 nights. My omplaints are as follows: the internet was down for the duration of our stay and I was forced to make expensive phone calls using the hotel's phones. There was no Mini bar at all and the selection of complimentary tea/coffee was miserable to say the least. Full-time or permanent Concierge service was non-existent, especially in the mornings when it was most needed, and the females on reception were less than knowledgeable and not overly keen to assist us with our typical tourist-type enquiries, e.g. buses etc. The hot water took absolutely ages to come through, although we got used to this, and the toilet was very difficult to flush. As we do not like the small plastic pottles of milk for tea we asked for a jug of fresh milk to be sent to our rooms - we are still waiting! On a more positive note, the location is great as were the full-English breakfasts. Dining staff were very obliging. In summary, this hotel is suffering from faded glory.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Hyde Park, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Jaguar 40,

Thank you for your review. While I am pleased to read that there were some positive elements to your stay, I am very sorry that we have let you and your family down so badly. It would appear that we have failed in our attempt to provide great service and, for this, I am truly sorry.

My promise to you is that we will use your comments to improve the service which we provide. We are immensely proud of our hotel and are constantly striving to make every guest leave with a smile. While we have not achieved our goal in this instance, we will stay focussed on consistently achieving excellence.

Once again, many thanks for your comments – I believe that guest feedback is the best measure of how we are performing and highlights where improvement is needed.

Yours Sincerely,

John Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Cairo, Egypt.
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at this Hotel, I found it a very good hotel, Location is great, Bus station actually is in front of the Hotels , 10 min. walk to the Underground station " Lancaster" , Hyde park is just in front of the Hotel with a Big entrance Gate.
The BIG BUS tour station is very close to the Hotel just in front of the Gas station SHELLat the right of the Hotel. Breakfast was very good. Room was spacious and lovely , has everything that you need " LCD TV, mini bar, Coffee maker, Big working area" , nice seating are with comfy seats, large bathroom with traditional tabs.
a big thank you for all the staff " reception, restaurant, house keeping". will sure be back again.

Room Tip: Excellent rooms.
2 Thank Akramdash
Reading
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were going to the theatre and we booked this hotel because it is in a good central location. The rooms are lovely, the staff couldnt have done any more for us and the breakfast was one of the best I ve ever had! A fabulous place + we will go back!
!

Room Tip: Make sure you dont book the room beside the lift shaft as it can be heard all night.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank teacher1Reading
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The room and staff were lovely at the Thistle. The room was spacious and exceptionally clean and the food in the restaurant was beautiful. The manager, John and other staff including Michael and the reception staff and maintenance guys were so helpful and nothing was too much for them to do, including going out and buying scales for me to weigh my baggage!!!. The maintenance guys had no hesitation in changing batteries for the kids and fixing my handbag latch. John, the manager offered to store baggage after checkout so we could continue sightseeing which helped immensely as I was travelling on my own with two young children. Loved my stay at the Thistle and definitely going back!!

1 Thank PowellsPerth
Halesworth
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed here for long weekend, took the superior room option and had breakfast included. Room has been recently redecorated and was very comfortable. Old building, so no air con, but large fan helped. Staff friendly and helpful. Hotel not close to tourist attractions, but good bus and tube connections.

Room Tip: Front rooms have tree view rather than park view, traffic noise could be issue with windows open.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I've stayed at the Thistle Hyde Park before on business and always enjoyed it. This summer I had my wife and son join me for a week-long holiday in London and we had an outstanding stay. We had a junior suits that gave us plenty of space and my son had wonderful privacy in his corner of the sitting room.

The service was excellent from from arrival to departure and every member of staff went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel's size is big enough to allow for a full range of services yet small enough that it never seems crowded. I also think its relative small size allows the staff to get to know their guests. It was very nice being greeted by multiple members of staff in the breakfast room by day three.

In short, an excellent value for money hotel in London. Large rooms, fair prices and great service.

perth
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed here with my 22 year old daughter. We had booked a twin room and on the first day when we arrived they told us they only had a double room which was a bit annoying as it had been prepaid. However we managed to get our breakfast included which was not part of the original deal so didn't complain too much although it was quite small. The next 2 nights were done by a separate booking and we were delighted to be upgraded to a delux twin which was a lovely big room. Minor niggles that the loo was very difficult to flush and the water took ages to run hot but once you knew that, you just had to allow for it.
Good location - midway between Lancaster Gate and Queensway tubes and near a bus stop.
I would say they were short of reception staff particularly in the evening but not in the morning. Breakfast was good.