“Nice place, nice people.”

Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
Ranked #199 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here because of its proximity to the attractions of the west end. The hotel itself is a very interesting old building that has been totally refitted in recent years. Our room was a large suite on the sixth floor. This gave my family plenty of room, and my children were very happy to have a double bed each. The suite also benefitted from very pleasant decor and a modern bathroom. The wifi was as promised super fast, and it was nice to have duel zone air conditioning. As we liked it here so much we decided to try the bistro one evening. The two waitresses were very helpful and the food hit the spot. I really could not fault anything with the hotel or the staff. They made my family feel really special. Thank you very much to all at the Kingsley.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeremyhaynes
There are newer reviews for Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is the fourth time I have stayed here as working the following day in the hotel. and we cant fault the friendliness of the reception staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and the location. We have had a variety of rooms, and all have been comfortable and reasonably spacious (this time we were upgraded and had loads of room). The room was quiet (for Central London) even though on main road, Breakfast was set out well, the cooked buffet looked appetising and good array of continental features. Wish you didn't have to pay extra for other items eg eggs benedict.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Sudhanshu R, Relationship Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guests,
Your loyalty is highly appreciated. May I recommend you to sign up to our ever so generous Signature Loyalty program online. Your kind feedback is highly appreciated. I am extremely pleased to know the service, room size location of Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley hotel was to your liking.
We have a large spread of the Full English Breakfast, with some additional items available on al’a carte. I am glad you found the breakfast appetising.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward for your 5th stay.
Kind regards

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked this hotel for my husbands big birthday as it could accomodate us and our 2 children aged 10 and 12. We booked a Junior Suite, non refundable B&B rate including breakfast. I emailed the hotel after to advise it was my husbands birthday and to ask for a room higher up at the back of the hotel. The hotel emailed me back to say they would look after us and to also ensure the 2 extra beds for the children would be provided.

We arrived at midday, were checked in by a lovely man and left our luggage as room was not ready, but that was expected and no problem. We returned about 4.30pm and were extremely pleased with our room. It was very generous in size and had a double bed for my husband and me but also a double sofa bed for each of the children. There was also a birthday card, hand written with lovely words and a box of chocolates for my husband. Lovely touch.

The beds were very comfortable and can honestly say, the it was the best nights sleep i have ever had in a hotel, and I have been lucky enough to stay in some very good hotels. We decided to have some dinner in the hotel and for London it was very reasonably priced. My only criticism is that it advertises on the website that there are children's menus, but this isn't the case. However, we enjoyed the meal and my daughter loved the Udon Salmon. The ladies was looking after us in the restaurant were lovely, attentive and made us very welcome. Breakfast was equally good with a good selection available.

I would highly recommend this hotel not only for the fantastic location, everywhere is easy to get to but for us the staff made the whole stay from the moment we checked in, to the ladies in the restaurant, the turn down service staff who left us extra tea bags and chocolates for the children and the concierge who looked after our bags. We look forward to staying at The Thistle Kingsley again. The only thing we will need to clarify is the child policy. When we booked i checked with central reservation who told us children 12 and under are permitted. Our son will be 13 next time we travel to London. Thank you again.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are better and towards the rear of the Hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for lovely review. I am glad the room, service, food, location was up to your satisfaction and team looked after you well. You are right in pointing out we do not have a special kids menu; however I am pleased to learn your daughter loved the Udon Salmon. Our chef’s would be pleased to make any preferred item for kids even if it’s not on the menu. For the kids above 12 years old it adds just £10.00 extra for the breakfast.
Once again thank you for taking your time out to share your generous praise and I am glad you had a lovely family time at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley.
I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is clean and tidy, however the room was fairly small. The bar didn't have a very good selection of drinks. Situated close to the theatres but not the best I have stayed in by far. We never took the breakfast option, but there were a number of cafés only a few yards away from the hotel with good atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at The Holborn, Kingsley. I am glad you liked the location of the hotel. Sorry to learn you did not find the room’s size did not meet your expectation. We do have larger rooms available at minor supplement, may I recommend reserving the Executive rooms or Junior Suites which even have a separate seating area as well. I take on board your feedback on our bar selection, ands shall pass it to our Bar Manager. Do try our delicious and much loved cocktail selection on your next visit.
Thank you for your feedback. Do feel free to contact me next time you have a reason to visit London.
I look forward to welcome you in near future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We dropped off our bags and checked in at 11am although our rooms were not ready. We went out for the day and when we returned we were told that there were no rooms left in the hotel due to a centralised booking error. We had already paid for the hotel several months earlier. The staff allocated us to a new hotel in Euston, refunded rate differences and refunded travel costs. A shame to have to deal with this stress when trying to enjoy a well earned weekend in London.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline R

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience faced by you due to being relocated during your recent visit; it was indeed due to an unforeseeable system error, due to which unfortunately a few reservations were affected, which we deeply regret. I hope your stay at our recently refurbished sister hotel was up to your expectations and enjoyed your overall stay. I appreciate although the taxi was arranged by the hotel, you did lose out on the precious holiday time in the relocation, may I request you to contact me directly next time you have a reason to visit London and i shall ensure you are well looked after. You may e-mail me at Sudhanshu.Rathee@Thistle.co.uk
I look forward to welcome you soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Arriving at this hotel at 5pm after a long flight they told us they had given away our pre-paid rooms . They said it was a mistake due to a system failure. At that point two more families came to the desk - the same had happened to them , but one of them had ALREADY checked in that morning and left bags at the hotel all day !! Hence the story about a system failure was not true, since for that family they could have just handed over the keys , even if the system was down .
Appalling way to run a hotel.
They did arrange for us to go to a sister hotel ( much nicer place) and paid the taxi , but by the time we got there we had lost 90 mins of a one night stay in London .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Ravfamily
Sudhanshu R, Relationship Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience faced by you due to being relocated during your recent visit; it was indeed due to an unforeseeable system error. I hope your stay at our recently refurbished sister hotel was up to your expectations and enjoyed your overall stay. I appreciate although the taxi was arranged by the hotel, you did lose out on the precious holiday time in the relocation. I understand our Front of House Manager has left a voicemail for you to contact him. For any reason you have not picked up the voicemail, may I request you may e-mail me at Sudhanshu.Rathee@Thistle.co.uk with the best number and time to reach you.
I look forward to welcome you soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

we stayed here for 4 nights in October. We checked in at 9PM, the reception staff were very welcoming. We were told we had room 27, and were walked down a flight of stairs that looked like the staff quarters. Untidy and carpet needed vacuuming. We were then directed in a lift to floor 1 and followed the signs with 2 large suitcases, where we then had to walk back down some small stairs in the middle of the building, very tiring and very strange. The room was TINY with a low ceiling. We were not happy. Next morning we explained this to reception, and we were moved immediately to a proper double room on the third floor for the 3 remaining nights. Happy we were moved without complaint. Room was very clean. The breakfast was excellent value for money. And all of the staff on duty there (especially GANDIMA) were really friendly and accomodating. The hotel is ideally situated, with all facilities you need for a weekend break. We never ate dinner in the hotel restaurant as the photo of the food on the outside wall of the hotel (chips in a basket) did not look appealing! Change your meal advertising leaflet. Apart from that all the staff were really very friendly., and for this reason alone, i would return again. Thank you to all the staff there :-)

Room Tip: do not accept room 27, rooms on third floor are good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Swissmisstraveller
Sudhanshu R, Relationshio Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your well balanced review. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience faced by you by your first room location. However, I am happy the recovery was up to your expectation. I am glad the team took good care of you and you found the service friendly. I sure shall pass your kind words to the team who would be really happy to learn the same, especially Gandima. I take on board your comment of the food picture, thank you for the same.
Look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards