“Good hotel & location, some service issues”

Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
Ranked #200 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was my first stay at a Thistle hotel, and wasn't sure what to expect... overall I'd say I was impressed with the hotel, but disappointed with some aspects of the service.

Positives: Great location; a short walk to Covent Garden, Soho, and Leicester Square... and close to a couple of tube stations. The building itself is grand from the outside, and beautifully renovated inside with an impressive central staircase. Although the check-in was rather chaotic, one of the managers came out to assist and was extremely polite and professional. Upon entering the room, we found it reasonably spacious and well designed, with nice furniture. The bathroom only had a shower, but was spotlessly clean and modern. We really enjoyed the breakfast both days; good selection, good food, good service.

Negatives: The chaotic lobby wasn't the best first impression, and the check-in seemed to take a very long time. Although our room was a reasonable size, we could see it was one of the smaller on the floor and had an uninspiring view... we phoned to ask if there were any other rooms available, and the person who answered couldn't understand what we were asking. We eventually received a call back from someone else at reception, who promised to look into it... but didn't hear back again, so we gave up. On the last day, we had some drinks/ snacks in the lounge, and were very disappointed by the service; the server seemed rather hostile at first, although she did warm up after a while. In fairness, I do have to say that all of these issues were not a "big deal" and didn't really affect our stay too negatively. However, I did have one more disappointment; after completing a post-stay questionnaire, I received a voicemail from the hotel... they apologized for the small issues we had experienced, which was very much appreciated. However, she promised to send me an email as a follow-up and to "restore my faith in the hotel"... but did I receive anything? No.

One more issue I have with this hotel - and the Thistle brand in general - is that there are no fridges in the rooms, and the amenities include shampoo but not conditioner... I was told this isn't part of their "brand positioning". Small things, I know, but annoying as I expect these items, and they are typically included with other comparable 4* hotel chains.

Verdict: Lovely hotel, well located, with comfortable and modern rooms... however, some services issues and for the same price I believe there are many other options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AR_Cox_
Sudhanshu R, Relationship Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your well balanced feedback.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings on providing a great service. I understand our Operations Manager has been in touch with you and have come to a satisfactory resolution. For some reason her initial e-mail to you did not seem to have reach you.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Warm regards, S Rathee, Relationship Manager - Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,365)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel rooms are clean and very comfortable. The staff is friendly and efficient. Wifi is free and functional. The location is one of the best for central London. To me this the recipe for a great hotel stay and the Thistle Holborn performed flawlessly.
We did get a room upgrade and had a larger room with King Size bed. The room was facing the street, but we were not disturbed by traffic noise at all. Our friends had a standard room at the back of the hotel and they expressed they were happy with their room as well.
For London, this hotel is great value.

1  Thank ssk_traveller

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the upgraded, quite room and the complimentary hi-speed wireless internet. Indeed the location of Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley is unbeatable. Always a pleasure to learn the team looked after you well and you found the service friendly and efficient. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Warm regards, S Rathee, Relationship Manager - Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Have just returned home after a weekend break from 11th to 14th October in this great Hotel. Staff were very friendly and couldn't have done anymore to look after our needs. We arrived to find free Crunchie's everywhere as it was Friday. Breakfast was continental and cooked with plenty of choice and tasted great. I don't ever recall having such a good nights sleep in a hotel bed, sooo comfortable!!!!

1  Thank Adrian A
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Good location with friendly and efficient staff, but the room was a big disappointment. The restaurant and food selection looked good, although we did not eat there and the staff in the bar were helpful and brought a small taster of wine to try when we could not decide which one to go for. The room was a letdown. I had carefully looked for a hotel with a spacious twin room as I was travelling with my mother, who is in her 70s and we wanted somewhere that we could share, but gave us a bit of space. I liked other reviews for this hotel and was assured a deluxe twin would offer this. It did not. The room was small and cramped, even with the twin beds pushed up next to each other. It had nowhere to store luggage; no shelving for clothing and one chair crammed into a corner, squashed up against one bed. The room was some distance from reception, up and down stairs and along a corridor with no lift access to the room. Because the window looked directly onto a brick wall about two feet away there was no natural light to the room. This made the room stuffy, so the air conditioner was appreciated, but it was not in the best condition and was quite noisy overnight which was disturbing. Not what was expected given the room rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

For the second year in a row we had the pleasure to stay at this hotel. Not only is it well located; British Museum, Tube station, theatres ... The hotel personal is attentive and offering great service ... We had a great room, the breakfast was perfect !! Should we come to London again this will for sure be our choice !!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great location close to the underground and British Museum. We were worried about noise as there is construction across the street, but it was very quiet. Loved the heated towel bar! Reception staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: We were at the side on the fourth floor and it was great.