This was my first stay at a Thistle hotel, and wasn't sure what to expect... overall I'd say I was impressed with the hotel, but disappointed with some aspects of the service.
Positives: Great location; a short walk to Covent Garden, Soho, and Leicester Square... and close to a couple of tube stations. The building itself is grand from the outside, and beautifully renovated inside with an impressive central staircase. Although the check-in was rather chaotic, one of the managers came out to assist and was extremely polite and professional. Upon entering the room, we found it reasonably spacious and well designed, with nice furniture. The bathroom only had a shower, but was spotlessly clean and modern. We really enjoyed the breakfast both days; good selection, good food, good service.
Negatives: The chaotic lobby wasn't the best first impression, and the check-in seemed to take a very long time. Although our room was a reasonable size, we could see it was one of the smaller on the floor and had an uninspiring view... we phoned to ask if there were any other rooms available, and the person who answered couldn't understand what we were asking. We eventually received a call back from someone else at reception, who promised to look into it... but didn't hear back again, so we gave up. On the last day, we had some drinks/ snacks in the lounge, and were very disappointed by the service; the server seemed rather hostile at first, although she did warm up after a while. In fairness, I do have to say that all of these issues were not a "big deal" and didn't really affect our stay too negatively. However, I did have one more disappointment; after completing a post-stay questionnaire, I received a voicemail from the hotel... they apologized for the small issues we had experienced, which was very much appreciated. However, she promised to send me an email as a follow-up and to "restore my faith in the hotel"... but did I receive anything? No.
One more issue I have with this hotel - and the Thistle brand in general - is that there are no fridges in the rooms, and the amenities include shampoo but not conditioner... I was told this isn't part of their "brand positioning". Small things, I know, but annoying as I expect these items, and they are typically included with other comparable 4* hotel chains.
Verdict: Lovely hotel, well located, with comfortable and modern rooms... however, some services issues and for the same price I believe there are many other options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following a recent extensive £10 million restoration and refurbishment program at the hotel, every area of the hotel has been transformed – our bedrooms have been completely modernised with a contemporary design and vibrant soft furnishings. Our public areas reflect the new contemporary style but retain elements of the hotel’s traditional Edwardian features. London landmarks like the British Museum and Covent Garden and Oxford Street are within easy walking distance. Just five minutes from Holborn and Tottenham Court Road Tube Stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Kingsley By Thistle London
- Thistle Bloomsbury
- Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley London, England