“Warm and friendly”

Ranked #166 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Bloomington IN
“Warm and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Kingsley by Thistle. The location can't be beat (a block from the British Museum and an easy walk to almost anywhere in central London), and the facility is modern, chic, clean, and comfortable. They have a nice restaurant and an excellent bar. But the best thing about the hotel was the staff -- everyone was extraordinarily friendly and eager to help, far more so than in the majority of hotels, even fancy ones. On our arrival, we found a couple of problems in our bathroom, and when we notified the desk, someone came up immediately to see what was wrong. When it turned out that there were no quick fixes, we asked for another room, and they promptly (and cheerfully) arranged to move us while we went out to walk off our jet lag. When we returned that evening, we found our new room to be just right (and a little more luxurious, since they were nice enough to give us an upgrade, too, at no extra charge). We also spent a couple of pleasant evenings in the warm and attractive bar, where we had the chance to chat with the servers/bartenders who were happy to spend a little time with us and make us feel at home. We've been to London many times, but never found another hotel we liked as much as this one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the street, which can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Whilst disappointing to read that you had to change rooms I was pleased the team resolved the issue to your satisfaction. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reedham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding service on reception and concierge, pre-empted requests before even asked. Quick on requests and only problem was tricky air conditioning but didn't moan as everything else was so perfect. Brilliant location- 5minutes walk from covent garden.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Yateley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for New Year's Eve, was a great choice. 10 minute walk to the South Bank from the hotel to see the fireworks, but also walking distance to Covent Garden, Picadilly and Leicester Square. Check in was quick and smooth and all the staff in the hotel are very polite and welcoming.
We booked breakfast for the next morning (£10 per person) and was very pleased. A full english buffet style breakfast, and was pleasantly surprised that they provided Gluten Free toast for my partner. Also choice of fresh cut fruit, sliced meats, cheese, pastries and Cereals.
The room was an Executive King, which provided us with lots of room, seating area and lovely bathroom with full bath and rain style shower head. Room was very clean, comfortable and towel's and bathrobes provided were soft and comfy.
Would definately recommend staying here and would definately return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and spacious
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the breakfast! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently stayed 1 night at this hotel for my anniversary with my partner and I was not dissapointed. The room we booked was an Executive Double and the friendly receptionist (Xu I think her name was) upgraded us for free into the Junior Suite. Boy were we impressed! Two minutes after entering the room, there was a knock and someone from the staff came in and delivered us an anniversary card and some delicious chocolates! The room was insanely massive with a huge king sized bed, massive modern bathroom and a long beautiful lounge area. Our room was located on the second floor, and while there was a lift avaliable, we opted for a short walk up the beautifully decorated purple staircase which in my opinion is one of the highlights of this hotel. At night time, they even put that extra effort in to put candles along the side of the stairs which created a beautiful atmosphere with a pleasant aroma.

As for the location, the hotel is about a 8minute walk to where all the shops start along Oxford St. When leaving the hotel just turn left and you will be there in no time! The closest tube station is Holborn and getting around anywhere is easy from there. I would highly recomend checking out the very nearby British Museum which is free of charge for entry and also Regent's Park which can take you a whole day to explore, although this is much further away and travelling via public transport / taxi is recommended.

The last thing I wanted to mention is the breakfast. My partner is a former anorexic and she doesn't really eat much. But when we walked into the breakfast buffet, boy did I see a different side to her! The breakfast served is Full English and absolutely everything was marvellously fresh and tasty! The staff were very attentive, quick to refill the tea and always friendly and smiling! I swear the chickens Thistle use lay golden eggs, because they were the best tasting scrambled eggs I have ever tasted!

All in all, getting a free upgrade, with excellent service from both reception & breakfast staff, lovely location for a cheap price, topped off with a room I honestly wouldn't mind living in, this gets a well-deserved 5 star rating! Highly recommended for all and will be coming back!

Room Tip: Ask nicely for a free room upgrade...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the breakfast! I was also pleased to read that the team looked after you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times over the past 2 months. The location of the hotel is excellent for shopping , theatre or sightseeing , 5 minutes from holburn tube station or covert garden and the british museum is behind it.
The service is excellent , with all the staff are very friendly and helpful, especially the lady who greets you at breakfast.
The rooms are well appointed but ask for a room at the back of the hotel or a high floor if at the front, the rooms at the front of the hotel you can hear the road noise especially the buses running till late.( i was moved to a room at the back when i asked). I have had both a very large room and a tiny squashed room.
I have eaten in both the restaurant and had room service , I had a steak in the restaurant which was good but nothing special and a thai red curry on room service which was very lackluster, hence the 2nd stay i went out to local restaurant.
Breakfast is excellent , lots of options and friendly staff.
Overall great 4 star hotel in a excellent location of London, would recommend as have very reasonable rates. ( check the hotel website)

Room Tip: ask for room at back of hotel to avoid road traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the team looked after you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here for four nights on a biz trip and have nothing but pleasant things to report. The staff was very courteous and respected my wish to have a higher floor. My king room was large and well appointed. See photos of room and view. I was surprised to have a decent view of the steeple of the church next door. The breakfast voucher is a good buy - 10 pounds gets you a hot English good quality breakfast in the dining area. There's a lounge / bar downstairs to relax in which looks great!

The hotel is very close to the Holburn tube which makes it very close to soho and other great areas. I was able to walk to lots of places and loved it.

My only complaint was that the shower would go scalding hot for a few seconds every few minutes. I reported this upon departure - hopefully it's addressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the team looked after you. The issue that you reported upon departure has now been addressed so thank you for advising us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Purmerend - Holland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having been in this hotel for the first time, I only can say that this is one of the best I've ever stayed in.
I already knew the location and that is the best for me in London, theatres, shopping, eating, good public transport, all on their doorstep.
The rooms are great and the service is sublime. The breakfast is super, good and very fresh food and always enough for the people who are in.
I will come back when I'm in London, that's for sure and I will recommand this hotel to everyone I know who wants to have a few great days in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, December 28, 2012