Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
2,451 results
All reviewsbritish museumcovent gardengreat locationoxford streetwest endbox of chocolatestheatre landjunior suitelovely hoteldrury lanetheatre breakgood sizeminute walkfree upgradecentral hotelbus stopbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. Our room was lovely, not massive but very nice. Went in August so it was hot and the air con didn't work and dripped from the ceiling onto the carpet. Told reception that it was dripping and they said they'd look at it. The iron in the room was a bit rubbish, was off to an evening do so needed to use it and it left marks all over the clothes.

Breakfast was amazing!! Out of this world. How breakfasts should be. Hotel was very very clean and the maids were very thorough in the room.

On the evening on our 2nd night went to reception again as the air con was still leaking and making the carpet wet. I think my exact words were 'the air con is leaking on the carpet and it'll make a mess if it keeps going'. Within seconds we were booked into a new room and being apologised to. The new room was massive!! Easily 12 metres long and the bed was enormous. Obviously two types of rooms at hotel, those put on offer to websites like superbreak and those reserved for people paying full whack to stay. Having said that our original room was more than adequate so definitely no complaints.

The only downside was the totally ridiculous price of drinks. Asked at the bar for a bottle of water. Was given a half litre bottle of highland spring and charged £5.35 and then a £0.60 charge for the bar man to unscrew the top. I know it is London but that is pretty crazy.

All in all, fabulous hotel, lovely rooms, amazing breakfast just pop down the road to the shop for any drinks you may require.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
KingsleyGM, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your recent visit to The Kingsley Hotel and for taking the time to write a constructive review. We have addressed the maintenance issues mentioned in your review thank you for highlighting them. I am sorry to hear that you though our bar prices was excessive, we do market research and we find that our prices are very competitive compared to most of the other hotels in the area. Once again thank you for all the positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsley hotel in the near future
Johan

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on business at the end of August.
I've stayed in quite a few London Hotels and this may well be my favorite
so far.
I've stayed at nicer, and worse but this one had the whold package.
Good service, free internet and nice rooms.
The location is great!, you're on a quiet street but you're within a 5 min walk
to good shopping and food so it's really the best of both worlds.
If you're looking for a hotel that's well priced for the UK and you want a nicely
decorated room then this should be your pick.
The rooms aren't that big but they are nice, comfortable and I would definatly stay here
again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Loveagoodgetaway
Reviewed September 17, 2011

this is not a bad property by any standards..my room was capacious, the staff were attentive and friendly, and although the bar area is a bit naff, overall this get thumbs up.only complaints - annoying to have to buy vouchers for the internet, no stocked mini bar, and water pressure is dribbly.but no doubt these things can be ironed out, and the hotel is around the corner from our wonderful british museum which provides diversion aplenty..i think if you can get a rate c 200 per night this is a good bet.

Room Tip: ask for a bigger one
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
KingsleyGM, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Kingsley hotel and for taking the time to write about your experiences. I will share your positive comments with the hotel team and will investigate your comments regarding water pressure to avoid a re occurrence. I am sorry you did not enjoy our bar offering being an informal offering with a wide variety of drinks and food I trust it would not deter your from returning to the Kingsley in the near future
Johan and team

Reviewed September 11, 2011

This hotel is very stylishly decorated, with simple and tasteful decor, a sophisticated colour scheme, and nice fixtures and black and white photographs decorating the walls.

Location is great: about 3 minutes walk from Holborn tube station, which is on the Piccadilly Line arriving directly from the airport. Right outside the door is a bus stop, with buses that take you east to Clerkenwell (and other places too I'm sure) and west to Oxford Circus.

Breakfast is fantastic, with a buffet with everything you'd want. You can also order. I was recommended the porridge by a lady at the next table, and it was indeed delicious and creamy. The restaurant staff are very nice.

London hotels in general are expensive, and this hotel is not cheap either. But I didn't want to ruin my experience of London but staying in a hole. In the scheme of things I think I got good value. I booked on simply-london.com and got a pretty good rate.

If you like good coffee, check out Wild & Wood on New Oxford Street behind Bloomsbury Way.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank soujo
KingsleyGM, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Dear reviewer
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Kingsley hotel and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I will share your positive comments with the hotel team and use the opportunity to re iterate our commitment to offer great hospitality and value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsley in the near future
Johan and team

Reviewed September 11, 2011

We booked a deluxe twin room late at the Kingsley Thistle on a good discount and were not disappointed. The hotel seems to be central to everything Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Shopping and Theatres; it was a good walk from Kings Cross/St Pancreas/Euston stations and UCL which was our reason for booking.

There was a lovely big walk-in shower, good sized bath sheets, and clean and comfortable beds. We had a dismal view of the fire escape being at the back of the hotel but from reading other reviews we were saved from the traffic noise.

Breakfast was worth the £10 saver booking and I wished we had chosen to eat there for our evening meal (another 20% discount offered) even though we were towards the end of the sitting, the scrambled eggs were super. The staff were all friendly and courteous and we found it very helpful to be able to leave our luggage, and the 12 noon checkout was also beneficial to us on this occasion

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family