“Jewel in London's Crown”
Review of Wallace Collection

Private Custom Tour: London in a Day
Ranked #15 of 1,724 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Both a national museum and a prestigious private collection of art bequeathed by Lady Wallace in 1897, this attraction features one of the world's best collections of French 18th-century pictures, porcelain and furniture, plus a fantastic array of 17th-century paintings.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

After quite a few trips to London, I realised on our last visit that we had never made it as far as the Wallace Collection. I'd heard about it 40 years ago, but the glamour of the National Gallery, Portrait Gallery, Tate Galleries and so on had always tempted us to revisit those well-known places. Finally, we found ourselves in London on a very wet day and decided to find our way to Manchester Square, actually not too far from Oxford Street. We were astounded! The collection is housed in a wonderful old building and every room is a treasure-trove. There are wonderful paintings, porcelain, furniture - and I believe armour as well but I have yet to see those rooms. I couldn't believe that there was no entrance fee and yet the house was not too crowded. It truly was a quiet haven close to the heart of the busy Oxford Street area. We had afternoon tea in the stunning glass-covered Orangerie and although it was not cheap, it was truly a part of the Wallace Collection experience! We will certainly return to Manchester Square on our next visit to London, and meanwhile, I am spreading the word!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Wallace Collection is a chocolate box of delights hidden away just 2 minutes off Oxford Street. It is not too big so you can easily fit a visit in between shopping if you really want to! I adore The Swing, Mme de Pompadour and The Laughing Cavalier all such fabulous paintings and my favourites amongst the treasures at The Wallace. Spend a day here or just a few minutes (as I often do just to see my 3 fave paintings!) either way you will be enchanted. Great facilities - lovely cafe/restaurant and learning facilities.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a brilliant place to spend an hour or two, perusing the vast and eclectic collection of artefacts, art and antiques in a gorgeous, huge house just off Oxford Street. It's relatively off the beaten path so quieter than other museums. The cafe in the covered courtyard is nice too.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

After visiting most of the top museums London has to offer, including the National Gallery, I have to say that the Wallace Collection is my favorite art museum in the city. While the two museums I mentioned are both free, the Wallace Collection had a more intimate feel and it was less crowded, so you didn't feel like people were pushing you to move on to the next piece. You could have as much time as you wanted admiring each work of art, and photography was also freely permitted, unlike in the National Gallery.

At the same time, since this is a collection, the exhibits aren't just limited to paintings or art. Each room is beautiful in its own, with different colored silk wallpaper, exquisite furniture, chandeliers, candle holders, statuettes, vases and various other decorations that are very enjoyable to see.

We were suggested to go upstairs first and work our way down, which was great because just walking up the grand staircase was impressive on its own and most visitors feel like taking pictures before even entering the first room, due to how wonderful the place itself looks.

The ground floor holds armory and pottery and various other items that we had not seen in any of the other museums we visited.

If you only have a short stay in London and can't visit all the art museums you'd like, I recommend you choose the Wallace Collection because it won't feel overwhelming and it brings together all the beautiful art you might be looking for.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stumbled here and thought I had found a treasure. Great paintings, armoury and other objects. I have been back a few times when I need a break from shopping and it is never as busy as the other London galleries. Nice cafe too but the menu is limited and expensive for what you get.