“Golden visit”

Book In Advance
More Info
$28.84*
and up
The British Museum Tour - The Ideas That Made Our...
Ranked #2 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum of the world, for the world. Discover over two million years of human history and culture. Some of the world-famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We went to the fascinating Beyond Eldorado exhibition from Columbia. The beautiful objects and skills of the native craftsmen before Spain invaded were breathtaking

Write a ReviewReviews (60,207)
All reviews
in 436 reviews
"pantheon"
in 745 reviews

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Fantastic collection of practically everything you can think of. I particularly enjoyed the Ancient Egypt collection which is breathtaking, a reconstruction of the Greek Parthenon...I spent a whole day there and still got a feeling I missed some exhibitions.

There is no entrance fee, only for special exhibitions.

The museum has its own restaurant upstairs and a cafeteria on the ground floor which can get pretty full at times - I just left the Museum for a wile, across the street there is Costa Cafe, so had a snack there and returned, without having to waste my time queueing in the cafeteria :)

Next time in London - I'm definitely going there again!

1  Thank Jana N
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Not the most exciting museum or attraction in London. Rather boring, with a lot of the impressive building being little more than wasted space. Food and drink is very poor here compared to the good food offered in other museums across London. My advice, go to the V&A instead.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was a superb exhibition. The craftsmanship was incredible - so much fine detail on items so old.

I also enjoyed the Japanese exhibits, thinking they gave a good bird's eye view of the country's culture.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The BM is my favourite museum in London. Today we visited the El Dorado exhibition, which I last saw about 30 years ago (in London, but not sure where). I enjoyed it as much this time as last time, but in comparison to other exhibitions of (I think) the same price, it seemed to be over all to quickly. The gold was wonderful - lovely masks, jewellery etc - and the other artifacts were equally lovely and fascinating. Great info boards, and a much better and more spacious layout than the Pompeii exhibition. We arrived at 1000 without pre-booking and used the 2-4-1 rail vouchers which make it much more affordable. We were told that this exhibition hasn't been as popular as others - I can't think why - but it was nice that it was less crowded and we were able to take our time and read & see everything much easier. I hate it when it's a scrum!
Downsides - the scandalously high prices in the cafe, especially for the dry and unappetising scones served, and the extremely frustrating touch screen survey which wouldn't respond and needs to be taken out of service. We just gave up! Also the very intrusive and noisy security staff who seemed to be incapable of talking below shouting level, stood in front of info boards when we were trying to read them and were incapable of lowering the volume on their radios. Apparently there was a problem with a bad smell, but this was far outweighed by the inconsiderate racket from them!