“Too much for one visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1,568 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum of the world, for the world. Discover over two million years of human history and culture. Some of the world-famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
York, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Too much for one visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My first visit to the British Museum was to see the Pompeii exhibition - brilliantly staged and very interesting as I had already visited Pompeii, but not seen these exhibits - but while waiting for my time slot I visited the African displays and realised what I had been missing. So much to see, explained in detail, fascinating for art lovers as well as historians.

Visited June 2013

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

There is only one problem with the British Museum as far as I am concerned; it's too blooming big! We only planned to spend a half day there and stayed most of the day and still did not see it all.

After visiting Paris and Rome we were amazed to find that the British Museum was free and that there were no queues to enter. If London can do that why can't the others? See my other reports, particularly on Musee d'Ornsay.

The "lobby", for want of a better word, is spectacular. All sections we saw were excellent but without doubt the Egyptian section stood out as the best museum display that I have ever seen.

We did find the layout of the museum confusing but the very many and very helpful staff came to our assistance more than once.

For me it was a tie; equal first place for attractions in London were the Tower of London and the British Museum

Visited May 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wow wow wow....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This museum is amazing....the collections are overwhelming! It is incomprehensible when you visit there and go from exhibit to exhibit. The most amazing has to be the Egyptian collection, especially the mummies. Best of all, it's free! I recommend several visits to make the most out of this treasure. Can be very crowded but its to be expected.

Visited June 2013
Amherst, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awe Inspiring!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

After 3 trips to London I finally visited The British Museum. Though I only had a few hours, I was able to see so many amazing things! Exhibits on Babylon, ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, the Rosetta Stone, and I could go on. No one should leave London without visiting the British Museum!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Rossersuzi
Los Angeles, California, USA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

interesting day out - a lot of looking around and reading and taking in of facts - kids will enjoy but may get tired fast ?

Visited January 2013