“Awestruck!”

Ranked #1 of 1,674 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum of the world, for the world. Discover over two million years of human history and culture. Some of the world-famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Easy to navigate. And truly FREE! We left a donation anyway. If you've been to "The Met" in NYC, then you know that there is a "suggested donation" that certain people will try to make you feel terrible about if you don't pay the recommended amount. I have friends on a very limited budget who have been made to feel terrible when entering the Met. Not here.

This museum seems too proud to beg. We literally walked in, passed very polite security guards, picked up a map (2 euro donation) and found the Rosetta Stone in 5 minutes.

Best thing about the map that makes it worth the price is a list of popular items in the museum on a course that takes you through the museum in about an hour. We spent about 1.5 hours before leaving to catch train to Bath. Will go again if in London.

There are newer reviews for British Museum

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am a total museum person and this by far is one of my favorites! The British Museum has such an extensive and well rounded collection of artifacts from around the world. My favorite was the Egyptian Antiquities wing by far. Such an amazing collection of artifacts including Cleopatra herself! This museum is a must see for the whole family as it is very interactive for kids as well.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was in awe to see the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. The Great Court is a photographers delight. I definitely will explore more on my next trip to London.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were in London, so we "had" to go to the British Museum. Despite my son's protestations, we took a quick walk through the museum. As we were getting ready to leave, we realized that the Rosetta Stone was there - so, we had to take a look. Then, we just had to go see the Chessmen and the Easter Island statue. All in all, we really enjoyed it!

1  Thank Steve8063rd
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Free for all. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy. Perhaps team it up with a visit to near by St Pauls Cathedral or shopping in Oxford & Bond streets.