“poor experience for the money we spent and time we had to wait to get in”

Sea Life London Aquarium
Ranked #243 of 1,615 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Let your imagination soar as you explore the wonderful riches of underwater life, from the beautiful coral reefs of the Indian Ocean to the dark, mysterious depths of the Atlantic and Pacific.
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“poor experience for the money we spent and time we had to wait to get in”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I went to London aquarium 5 times between 2007 and 2009 and had lovely time each time. But it seems like this place had undergone a lot of changes and its focused on making money more than providing unforgettable experience to its visitors.

I was absolutely shocked to find out that we had to queue up for over an hour before we got in. It was never the case during my previous visits. We paid over 40 pounds for 2 adults, which is fair enough but it took us less than an hour to walk though the aquarium plus the place was packed. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

There surely should be some procedures in place on how many people should be in the aquarium at a time????!!!!!! Plus maybe they should start selling tickets to certain amount of people for a certain hour!!! As well as each group should have a guide so they could get the group moving. I mean this place makes money and their exhibition is really poor to what it used to be. As well as there is no organization of this place WHATSOEVER!

Bathroom facilities and signage- very poor.

Save yourself a disappointment and go to London Zoo or different aquarium until SLLA sorts out issues that so many people talk about.

Visited March 2013

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awful experience”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I were a bit disappointed with this attraction. Long queues and definitely overcrowded, we struggled to see the fish because there was too many people inside. It was hot inside and is March and outside was cold. There was not much information or staff to ask about the fish but the cramming was definitely an issue for us.

I think this attraction is not design for uk residents with families but for foreign visitors and is just used as a cash cow as it is not cheap either.

If you are going to visit, don't expect massive tanks, even the fish looks sad!!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Didac M
MSLLA, Guest Relations Manager at Sea Life London Aquarium, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear DidacM, Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to SEA LIFE London Aquarium. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations and left you feeling disappointed. We do get extremely busy over the weekends as we are a very popular attraction in London for families and tourists alike. We do have staff walking around giving out information and helping to move people along in our most popular areas of the attraction. I can understand how it would have tainted your experience if you felt it was over crowded. If you need any further information please contact me on SLLondon@merlinentertainments.biz Kind Regards- Customer Service Executive
West Thurrock, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“very crowded - book priority tickets”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

the queue was long - it was worth the extra few pounds for priority tickets. The attraction itself was quite like being in Ikea - you can only really go one way and before you know it you are out the other side. Having said that, the exhibits were varied and informative.
There was nowhere to eat our packed lunch and the shop was very expensive. My granddaughter, who is 5, loved it though.

Visited February 2013
manchester
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I agree with others who have commented on here, if you are visiting this attraction with a young child then they will probably love the experience anyone older not so.

We were really disappointed with our experience, the exhibits/tanks are small, many of the computer screens detailing information were not working, or if they were you had to wait for a period of time to read about what was contained in the tank, particularly if there were several species. In the current era I think the aquarium should have interactive touch screens so you can easily find the information you need.

The aquarium was much smaller than we expected and we walked through in under an hour.

I was shocked to see the penguins in such a small enclosure with no apparent access to outside, obviously this might not be the case but still it was quite upsetting.

We have visited other aquariums in the uk, if I was to recommend one it would be The Deep in Hull.

My advice, don't waste your money.

2 Thank ireallywanttogothere
Grantham
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Been 6 times and it's getting better!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I have been here 6 times in my life. I had not been however for a few years and WOW!! What an improvement!! I loved it before, but now pictures etc and better knowledge at touch pools!!
I have been to Melbourne Aquarium and had a behind the scenes tour and the London Aquarium is still the best. I bought a combined ticket with the London Eye this time and it was worth it. My 3 year old enjoyed it immensely and I found it very child friendly as a mother now. Well done!!