“Take a tour with the beefeaters!”
Review of Tower of London

Tower of London
Ranked #10 of 1,913 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of London's most famous landmarks, the historic Tower houses the Crown Jewels, the prison cell of Sir Walter Raleigh, known as the Bloody Tower, and the Chapel of St. John and the Royal Armories.
Reviewed May 8, 2008

The Tower of London was a fun stop on our trip. Take a free, guided tour with one of the Beefeaters - the crowds are pretty big in the afternoon, so try to go in the morning on if you can. Our guide was hilarious and informative.

17  Thank ssibayan
Write a ReviewReviews (56,568)
All reviews
in 569 reviews
"prisoners"
in 601 reviews

Reviewed April 22, 2008

I have been to the tower of London three times this year, taking my kids there on two occasions, and we all loved it.

The line to get in can be quite a hassle, but once through we chose not to go on the beefeater tour but headed instead over to the far side away from the crowds and went round that way.

It proved a great idea as we were constantly against the crowds.

The Beefeaters themselves were great and even though we didn't go on their actual tour, we did meet several and they told us little stories, which was great.

I think this is a must do location that everyone should visit, whether you live in London or whether you are a visitor to London.

3  Thank Minstrel1066
Reviewed April 22, 2008

Even in the sun this place has an atmosphere of death and haunting. You can feel the presence of the executed and tortured souls that must still walk the grounds. A place that I would imagine would be terrifying at night! A great day out for those who like history and historic buildings. Good value for money and the guards are most informative!

3  Thank jaccia
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I visited this attraction with my dad on monday. Upon arriving we quickly decided we should have booked on line as it saves a little bit off the price and a lot of the queue. The queu looked awful so we popped round the corner for lunch instead. (must recommend the quality burger bar - its delicious with huge fresh burgers for a reasonable cost - but i digress)

After lunch we decided to to go and queue and to our great fortune the queue had disappeared due to rain showers! So we headed into the tower of london. We did wait for a yeoman tour which started out quite promising and sounded very interesting but unfortunately the tour was called off as it started pouring down with rain (and hail)

The pklace is HUGE! the walk around the tops was lovely on the riverside but the other side had a much less attractive view :( the crown jewels are SPECTACULAR and I don't think you will ever see diamonds so huge! although I was disappointed to find that the older crowns have been stripped of all diamonds and gems for security reasons.

I also enjoyed the bloody tower (not another bloody tower!) and the walk around outside on the cobbled area. there are a couple of guards on the area, one performed a little stompy march for us, but I'm pretty sure the other was sleeping...

The only part of this trip that I did not enjoy as much was the white tower as it is a huge exhibet and as I am personally not hugely interested in weaponry, It was a little tedious. I did quite enjoy the interactive area at the end however (young child in me)

I would strongly recommend this visit for anyone with an interest in londons history, and an enjoyment in gruesome details. Also, the ravens are HUGE!

enjoy your trip!

3  Thank Teenage_voice
See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We visited the Tower of London in December 2007 and a friend staying with us visited in March 2008 as we had recommended it so highly.

The Tower itself is amazing particularly if you are interested in history and its location is quite impressive with some stunning views of Tower Bridge and the London skyline.

The closest Tube station is Tower Hill and the entrance to the Tower is clearly marked from the station. You buy your tickets from ticket booths located across the paved area from the entrance. Once you proceed through the entrance there is a sign that will display when the next beefeater tour commences and you can wait near that sign.

This tour was excellent. Our tour guide was very funny and informative although there are no caps to the group size so if you were at the back of the tou group it could become very hard to hear him. The tour includes stop and brief overviews of important sections of Tower and stories that corresponds with this section including the cathedral. Our guide was happy to answer any questions and to pose for photographs afterwards.

Other areas to explore by yourself (ie not included in the tour) is the weaponary displays and the crown jewels.

We did not find it crowded during either of our visits. During winter, a portion of the moat aruond the Tower is made into an ice rink and open to the public.

2  Thank London018