“Something for everyone”

Ranked #3 of 1,595 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of London's most famous landmarks, the historic Tower houses the Crown Jewels, the prison cell of Sir Walter Raleigh, known as the Bloody Tower, and the Chapel of St. John and the Royal Armories.
Ljubljana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Something for everyone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My daughter and I went to the Tower of London on a Monday morning, just as they were opening. It was very cold, but still there were quite a few people entering the attraction. Since we had a London Pass we were able to skip the queue and enter via the group entrance, which was nice.

We went on the tour offered by the Beefeater (free with entrance) which lasted about an hour. I was really impressed with his ability to tell the stories of the Tower in way that combined enough history for the history buffs and entertainment for the younger folks. Also he told us the story of how he became a Beefeater, which was interesting in its own right! The tour was well worth the time because it gave us a good orientation to all the buildings, what they were once used for an what they contain now. We stayed to review the Crown Jewels and the torture instruments...well worth a couple of hours to see this sight!

Visited February 2013

• Turkish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“In colder months, wrap up warm but it is well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had been promising our kids a visit here for a long time so on the first dry day during our holiday we went. We didn't have to queue (which was a bonus) and as we got through the gates one of the warders had started his tour so we tagged on to that. My husband and myself found this really interesting but due to how cold it was that day and the length of each stop my youngest (7 years old) was becoming a bit fidgety. We found the jewel house amazing, there is a slow moving walkway that takes you past many of the jewels and I would think at really busy times this would be frustrting because it moves just a little too fast to have a really good look. My daughter just kept getting on again but I would think on really busy days this wouldn't be an option so you wouldn't get a good look. For us, after the warders talk, this was the highlight of the visit. The other bits I must admit I got a bit bored with, this may have been due to the cold weather. The restaurant though was FANTASTIC you get used to museum restaurants serving same old stuff but this was well cooked and you were really spoilled for choice. Nice area also. The gift shop was really expensive though. If I were to go again it would have to be in summer as I believe you could have a brillant day here and for the price you want your moneys worth! For us though, the cold beat us and we left after about 3 hours.

Visited February 2013
Melbourne
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Excellent enjoyable history lesson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

A place we all should visit (esp if family ties to english history) the beefeaters (their tour is a MUST) make history live, even for the kids. Well done to all, the english are the best tour guides by far.

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“LOVED IT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I went to London this Christmas and Tower of London was by far the best attraction in this city. Both of us are very interested in History, and this place took us to the King Edward Era.

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very interesting place to visit. Loved the "beefeater" tour guide. Wonderful history. Did not go to see the crown jewels as the line was too long, but plenty of other great stuff look at.

Visited August 2012