“The best mass transit system I've used anywhere on Earth!”
Review of London Underground

London Underground
Ranked #18 of 1,874 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: London Underground, better known as the Tube, has 11 lines covering 402km and serving 270 stations. Opened in 1863, it is the world's oldest underground railway network, and one of the largest.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Well, I've traveled all over the US and to a number of foreign countries. I've used the subway in NY, Philly, Amtrak all along the East Coast, but the London Tube (aka "the Underground") is freakin' amazing! My daughter and I were in England the summer of 2011 for 19 days and we used the tube and regional railways to get everywhere. It's clean. It doesn't smell. It's well-marked. There are stops for everywhere you want to go. There is no one begging for money. The buskers that are in the stops have licenses and have some MAD skills that are worth your pocket change! You CAN get pretty much everywhere with very little walking via the tube. Big Ben? Check! Greenwich? Check! Leicester Square? Check! Buckingham Palace? Check! Picadillly Circus? Check! Heathrow Airport? Check! Gatwick Airport (Just a short train ride, but, yes... Check!) I could go on, but you get the idea... One thing we did was get an Oyster Card that we could preload with credit and use pay a lower fare per trip than paying cash (plus you don't have to worry about exchanging your currency for English pounds prior to entering the underground!) and you can top off your card at most tube stations. Bonus - you can use the Oyster card on busses too so you can see London above ground if you desire!
There is also a great TubeMap App that can tell you what your closest tube stop is, how to get from point A to point B (which lines to take and which stations to change lines) and when the next train is. I HIGHLY recommend the App as it was interactive and you simply followed the command of where to go and when to switch trains instead of staring at the map on the wall of the station (the closely resembles a bowl of colored spaghetti!) and clearly look the part of the tourist while impeding the flow of traffic. Also, the trains run so frequently that even when my daughter got on one train and I got on the next, the wait between them was only about 5 minutes. We never had need of a taxi (even to get our luggage to the hotel - we were right across the street from Victoria Station) and never had any "weird experiences" like we've had on mass transit back in the US. I wish I had the tube in the Detroit area and I could commute this way instead of the 12 mile commute that took an hour this morning!

Date of experience: July 2012
2  Thank PAn8iv
Write a ReviewReviews (35,908)
All reviews
in 716 reviews
"signage"
in 407 reviews

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I cant say I'm too much of a fan of the underground, mostly because of all the steps and escualtors and lack of lifts, which make it near impossible if you have luggage, a pram or in a wheelchair (however am aware of some stations which do have lifts available). i also have quite a bad fear of going down esculators and going down stairs too quickly, which is annoying in London because of the masses of people and the pressure to hurry up. However I am aware of that the tube was built 150ish years ago and lifts were'nt an option then. As a tourist I'd actually opt for the busses as they're low floor and you can see some of the sites on your way. Sure, they arent as quick, but you will most likely get a seat too.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

It's what keep London running and transports thousands daily around the city. A lot of history along with the modernisation of the underground. Extremely reasonable prices for the convenience of hoping on this bad boy, with tube stops now more than 5minutes walk all over the city.

Date of experience: June 2012
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We loved taking the tube specifically using the Oyster card. It seemed so confusing at home reading about it over the internet but the workers were so helpful at each station.
Some stations are very well decorated but all are easy to navigate.
Fun to walk out of the station, into the sunlight and being at a London landmark like Big Ben at Westminister.