WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #199 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Walnut Creek, California
“Superb stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

It was my first trip to London and my husband surprised me with the beautiful St. Pancras hotel. It was a magical visit. We both felt that the staff did everything in their power to make us feel welcome and wanted and well-cared for. The hotel is simply gorgeous. We stayed in a Chambers room, which was beautifully appointed in my favorite pale aqua color (how did they know?) with accents of cream and silver. The bed had excellent pillows and top-quality linens and I slept like a princess. From one of our four windows we could see the front of the beautiful gothic hotel with the clock tower and I couldn't resist taking photos of it several times a day.Our marble bathroom included a deep tub and a generously sized shower, plus lovely scented bath products.

The buffet breakfast was generous and delicious. We also stopped in for wine and nibbles in the early evening. We met two of the delightful young interns working there who couldn't be more helpful or charming. I called for the spa services, but was told that they were booked for the weekend (book this in advance if you know you will want a massage). They kindly put me on the waiting list, and called with an opening for a hour of service. Perfect! I was happy one afternoon that it was raining hard so we could just lounge around the hotel and enjoy it! Don't miss the free tour--very informative.

We needed to ship some items back to the States, and the concierge took care of that for us, even holding the items for several weeks so they would not arrive back home before we did. As promised, they arrived our second day home. In addition, they toted our bags to the Eurostar gate and carried our bags onto the train for us. All in all, the service was superb. I was pleased that we were able to both support and enjoy such a beautiful, historic place. Some magical day I would love to return!

Room Tip: I believe we were in room 537. Quiet, with a beautiful view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I am so pleased you were able to stay with us for your first experience of London! I am thrilled to hear you felt the staff were so welcoming and helpful and do hope you were able to speak to our Navigator on the concierge team, who is superb at putting together detailed and unusual activity suggestions to really help guests get the most out of their London travel experience. Great to hear you took lots of pictures during your stay: we’d love to see them, so if you haven’t already, do share them on our Social Media networks! I am so pleased the rain didn't ruin your plans and you were able to relax in the Chambers Club with a glass of wine and later enjoy a treatment in the Spa. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope we are able to welcome you back again one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

The exterior of the property is stunning, as is the lobby. The Chambers Lounge, which is only available to Marriott Platinum members (not Gold), or guests staying in the Chambers section of the hotel are allowed in. The property is really 2 different hotels, the Barlow and Chambers. The Chambers section is what you see in all of the pictures. The Barlow section, where I have stayed on my 2 visits here, is pretty average, as far as Marriott's go. That's to say it's a nice place, but there's really not anything unique to it. My room this time did not have a tub, while the room on my last stay had one of those nice, deep European style bathtubs. Marriott Platinum members are not upgraded between the Barlow and Chambers rooms. Staff were all pleasant, but did not seem particularly warm (though this has been my experience more or less in every hotel in London in 15 trips over the past 4 or 5 years.) Room size in a Barlow King is decent. Breakfast in the Chambers Club is excellent.

The location is awful relative to where I work (oh what we will do for points/status), but it is nice to be attached to the St. Pancras train station with all of its amenities. Highly recommended if you have an early Eurostar train to catch. This isn't in the touristy heart of London, but if you are ok with a Tube ride, there are tons of tube lines running through the station.

Room Tip: If you can manage your way into the Chambers section, that's the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank highama
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear you think the property is stunning and agree that for those travelling by Eurostar, it is unrivalled in terms of location. We make it clear both on the website and when booking direct about the differences between Barlow House (the modern extension) and, Chambers (the original Victorian part of the building) and are proud to offer Platinum Members an upgrade in Barlow House subject to availability. The Kings Cross location is fast becoming London’s hottest new neighbourhood, so I do hope to welcome you back again soon so you can see the ongoing changes happening in the area.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Let me start by explaining that I met my wife working in the beautiful St Pancras Chambers back in the 1970's when the building was being used as offices and it holds many great memories for us both. It was with some excitement that we chose to celebrate the night of our 31st anniversary back here for the first time together last week.

We checked in early afternoon and were told that we were staying in the newly built part of the hotel behind the historic building - it was explained that there are only apartments and suites where we worked. Ho-hum, disappointing but no fault of the hotel, indeed there was a plate of cakes with 'Happy Anniversary' painted on the plate in chocolate in our 7th floor room, a lovely touch. The room itself was better than average but maybe not quite 5 star, although it boasted a large LCD TV and a very comfortable bed with luxurious cotton sheets, there seemed to be something missing. I certainly didn't like the fact that I couldn't open the window for some fresh air and hoped for a separate shower and bidet in the bathroom - maybe I expect too much.?

After enjoying a wonderful meal in Mayfair we then enjoyed a generally good night's sleep (apart from the lack of air) and wandered down to breakfast at about 10.30. This was very disappointing. We were shown to a table fairly quickly and the buffet breakfast was pointed out, we ordered coffee and had to wait between 10 and 15 minutes for it to arrive. We helped ourselves to the hot breakfast and were very disappointed by the quality of the bacon which was only streaky and 70% fat and somewhat congealed. The scrambled eggs were even worse, a gloopy mass of porridge like substance which we avoided like the plague. On the upside, the cumberland sausages were excellent.. I asked the girl who seated us if other eggs (or breakfasts) were provided as we hadn't been given any sort of menu and she said "You have to pay for different breakfasts, only the buffet is included in your rate" and "you could have ordered poached or fried eggs". As we had to wait so long for our coffee and I had already started eating I declined, choosing to ignore the rather testy remark about paying for a different breakfast - as if one couldn't afford to pay more at the rates charged for rooms at this place.!

After breakfast we wandered around the parts of the old building that one is allowed to roam (unfortunately neither my or my wife's old office were open to the public) and reminisced about our times working in such a beautiful place and not appreciating it. It has hardly changed, I understand that English Heritage were very tough about changing too much so it has really had a good clean up and restored to something like it must have been when it was originally a hotel dating back from 1873.

I can understand why this place is such a draw, it is built right on/next to the superbly crafted St Pancras International Station with direct trains to Paris and Brussels and beyond. It also gives one a chance to wonder at the revitalised, almost fairy tale building that was the Midland Grand Hotel.

It was disappointing to us for personal reasons but I'm sure that won't (and probably shouldn't) put anybody off. They really need to sort out those breakfasts though..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nidgehammer
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I am thrilled to hear from a couple who met at the original hotel and so pleased you chose to return for your anniversary! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the welcome plate and it is a shame that due to high occupancy we were unable to upgrade you to one of the rooms in Chambers (the original Victorian part of the building where your offices would have been located back in the 70s). Thank you for the feedback regarding breakfast. We have recently made some improvements to the breakfast offering and further enhancements are scheduled for December. Should you wish to discuss further please contact the Booking Office manager on antonio.bruno@renaissancehotels.com. Thanks again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the future.
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed there on awards redemption. Staffs not very helpful compared to another 5 star hotel I stayed earlier in London. They are snobbish probably thinking we are Asians, suckling down on redemption to stay in this hotel, as if not probably we couldn't afford it. Come on, I have a gold membership & I stayed in Marriott Hotels more than 50 days a year!!! Staffs at the breakfast lounge only serves 'White People' only, I felt as if colonialism still exists. Sucks for service & shame to a hotel name related to Marriott. Will not stay there again next time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, which I am extremely disappointed to read. I can assure you this is in no way reflective of the attitudes of our staff. As part of an international hotel group, we pride ourselves in celebrating the cultural differences of our associates and how these differences lead to our continued business success. At this property alone, our hotel team represents over 45 different nationalities and we are delighted with the cultural diversity this brings to the organization. Should you wish to discuss further, please contact our Director of Operations on edward.white@renaissancehotels.com.
Loughton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is clearly an excellent, top of the range hotel, with prices to match. The location is fabulous, situated in the majestic former station building. The building is dreamy and fairy-tale-like, with pre-Raphaelite-style murals and carefully crafted walls and ceilings, in keeping with the Victorian past. The Ticket Office restaurant/bar is a great place to sit and absorb the atmosphere and afternoon tea is served in the reception area. Ideal location, not only for Kings Cross, but also for Bloomsbury and Marchmont Street. Our room was in the modern wing, and was extremely comfortable with large beds, and with a beautiful bathroom. It was also very large by London standards. Breakfast was delightful, buffet-style, but with fresh ingredients and lots of fresh fruit and speciality breads. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, found the staff helpful and courteous and eager to please. On the negative side, I found the 4 O'clock check-in a bit late, and would generally expect to be allowed to check in earlier. The receptionist did try to accommodate this but was unable to find a free room, and said 4 O'clock was the guaranteed check in time. I also found the security staff to be high profile but not in a good way, giving off the feel of nightclub bouncers. One even started following me from room to room when I was trying to take some photos and I found it off-putting. The toiletries were quite spartan for a hotel of this caliber and the tea and coffee set was quite frankly mean, with no biscuit and very small quantities of tea bags etc. I also do not expect to pay £6 an hour for WIFI. The general comfort of the hotel outweighs these smallish gripes and I would be happy to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyWildman
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you say, the location is incredible. We are delighted to be part of the ongoing regeneration of Kings Cross, a very exciting project that is fast transforming the area into London’s hottest neighbourhood. Great to learn you enjoyed your Barlow room and found it so comfortable and spacious and I am pleased you hear you found your breakfast in the Booking Office so delightful. Appreciate your comments about check in. As the staff explained, 4pm is the guaranteed check in time across all Marriott hotels but we do our very best to accommodate early arrival requests when we know about them in advance. Thanks again for all your feedback which has been noted. I’m pleased to hear you would be keen to return and do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I've looked over the other reviews to see if there is something I can add. This is a hotel that starts with very high expectations. The public spaces and exterior are astonishing, and of course the story of the building's rescue is spellbinding. We have enjoyed the bars and restaurant prior to being guests, so we decided to splash out on a recent trip and stay for a few (3) nights on the way home from Paris.

We stayed in one of the Chambers Suites, and this gives rise to the first caveat. While I knew exactly what I was getting (there are floorplans on the website, if you search for them), I still strongly dislike the idea of calling a large hotel room a "Junior Suite", just because it has a couch and/or a desk in it. In my mind, the word "suite" means two rooms, with a door between them. We stayed in a lovely large room, but it was not a suite, despite being advertised as such.

Second, and this is also endemic of old hotels that have been repurposed into modern ones, was the bathroom. It was far too small for the room. While it had both a shower and a bath, the shower stall was very small -- barely large enough to turn around in, and the tub was very shallow.

Beds are always a matter of personal preference, but the bed here was quite hard, even though I like a firm mattress, and would have benefited greatly by a pillow-top.

Finally, there were some maintenance issues with the room: a slow shower drain, and a loose toilet, that on our final morning finally broke away from the wall, necessitating a move to another room just long enough to take a shower.

The staff works hard to be solicitous, and generally succeeds -- they are invariably pleasant, but could use some training. One thing that was inexcusable was turning up at the front of the hotel on a Saturday night and being unable to get a taxi for 40 minutes. The bellmen could have simply walked to the taxi rank at King's Cross (which we eventually did), but instead we were given bus directions. At 6:45pm, the bellmen should have several taxis waiting, this is standard practice at a luxury hotel, and it was only inexperience and poor training that led to this unfortunate circumstance.

So the bottom line is that this is, in many ways, an almost magic place to stay given the public spaces, and the general finish of the Chambers rooms, but it will disappoint and frustrate anyone looking for a real 5-star hotel experience. Go with appropriate (lower) expectations, and you will be pleased.

Room Tip: Note that the Chambers suites on the second floor (100-series) are exposed to a certain amount of st...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gnetwerker
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I am so pleased to hear you found the public spaces astonishing and found the story of the buildings rescue of particular interest. I do hope you were able to join one of the complimentary historical tours which I am sure you would have found fascinating. I appreciate your comments in regards to the naming of the suites but know our team does a great job at explaining all of the rooms in detail at booking stage due to the individual characteristics of each room. I am sorry to hear about your taxi experience and would be keen to learn more about this. I would urge you to contact our Head Concierge on salvatore.bartolone@renaissancehotels.com so this can be fully looked into.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

One of the best hotel I've stayed. I was here in Oct 2013 and stayed in the Chamber Club room. The room is spacious and beautiful. Love the pralines. Like the architecture of the building and enjoyed the tour around the hotel. Conveniently located on top of the Eurostar station. Will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am so pleased to hear you had such a great experience with us and that you consider the hotel one of the best you’ve ever stayed in! Glad to learn you enjoyed your praline welcome amenity, Chef and his team do a great job of preparing these daily and will be pleased to be recognized! Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.