“A Victorian Masterpiece!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #207 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“A Victorian Masterpiece!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I am very delighted to have stayed in this hotel for my business trip this year.

As soon as I had arrived, I recognised this is no ordinary hotel. The architecture, the decoration, the mixture of classical and comtemporary is just extraordinary. It is a total restoration of a Victorian masterpiece.

I had tried their breakfast in the booking office which has direct access to the St Pancras station. Also I had dinner in The Gilbert Scott which was a great British brasserie with nice live piano music.

The swimming pool in the hotel is just a plunge pool which I could not really swim in there. However, the sauna and steam room were both relax and unwind.

I would highly recommend this hotel especially if it is your first time to go to London as it shows the best of British style in every single way.

One big disappointment during my stay was my room is facing a wall which is only 12 inches away from my window. Honestly, it was quite unacceptable for myself as I felt like I was in a prison whenever I opened the curtain. However, I did not ask to change the room as I was too tired to do so after the business travel.

I would definitely want to come back to this hotel again with a better room!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ccesther
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and would highly recommend it to others. As you found the Spa is the ideal place to relax and unwind and the hotel has direct access to the station making it ideal for business trips requiring travel around the city to be quick and convenient. I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with the view in your room. As a city centre hotel, some of the views from bedrooms are limited, and whilst we cannot do anything to change them, we make a point of accommodating individual guest preferences. It is a great shame you were too tired to speak with staff as they would have been keen to rectify this for you. We do hope to welcome you back and please do let us know in advance if you would like a room with a view.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were in a Barlow Room. Good size, but could use more lighting. The staff was nice and helpful. We used the spa just about every night to rest our legs from a day of sightseeing. The best part was it was connected to the Eurostar so when we arrived from Belgium we were at our hotel! Also, the station is connected to several tube lines which made getting around London easy.
We didn't eat at any of the restaurants so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback. We are so glad you were able to make the most of the hotels excellent location and its close proximity to Eurostar! Should you return to the hotel, you may be interested to know that we offer a complimentary VIP Eurostar Transfer Service to all guests staying in Chambers. Our front office staff are authorized to clear security at Eurostar, so they would be able to meet you directly outside your carriage, fast track you through security and take you straight up to your hotel room. Either way, we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This review will focus on service as there is nothing to fault with the impressive building& rebirth of the hotel.

Reception service was poor, we arrived at 4pm, one receptionist on duty, serving a guest, no attempt to acknowledge my waiting or call for more staff. Rather abrupt, and certainly not a warm, genuine welcome. We dined at The Dorchester in the evening& the reception team could learn something of service excellence from the team here.

As we were staying in one of the 38 original rooms in the old part of the hotel we had access to the private club which was absolutely super. Service was excellent, food, drinks wonderful. It was certainly worth the extra money for this service. Staff, facilities & service absolutely first class, well done. & thank you.

The whole hotel was let down by the poor reception team. The concierge team deserve credit, a wonderful service received from them.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharon E
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in Chambers and found the product and level of service to be so wonderful. I am sorry to hear your experience for the majority of the stay was tainted somewhat by your check in. Whilst there are busy periods at the desk during peak check in and out times, we work hard to manage these with extra staff on duty. I am sorry to hear this was not your experience and have spoken with the team to avoid this happening again. Great to hear your feedback about the rest of the team was so positive and I hope this goes someway in showing the standard of service we expect and demand of our associates. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is an stunning hotel with amazing service - the staff cannot do enough to help you. I stayed in a Barlow room which was beautifully appointed. The room was generously sized and not fussy, but I would have liked a slightly bigger bathroom. I wish that I had made the time to take the 90 min tour of the hotel and find out a bit more about its history.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the British Library as the view from the other side of the Barlow wing ca...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Alison, thank you so much for your kind comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be so accommodating. We do hope to welcome you back again soon (then you can make the most of our historical tour!). Should you not be staying overnight in London for a while though, the experience can also be booked via Time Out. For just £20, a blue badge guide will bring the history of the building alive with a 1.5 hour tour.
Caerleon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I chose to stay in the St Pancras Renaissance London Hotel because I was interested to experience the restoration and refurbishment of the building. I found it really fabulous and thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The quality of the service, at all levels, was second to none and there was real attention to the needs of the hotel guest. Worthy of special mention is Victoria Maria who ensured that we had a superb meal in the Gilbert Scott restaurant and that I celebrated my 70th birthday in a memorable way. Many thanks, Victoria!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Caroline, thank you so much for your kind feedback. We were delighted you chose us as the location for your 70th birthday! We have passed your compliments on to Victoria Maria who is thrilled to be recognised by you. Thanks again for taking the time to comment and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay here on a trip to London, the hotel and service were without fault and outstanding in every way. Make sure to take advantage of the club lounge, its a good breakfast with lots of choice. The building itself is an architectural gem and well worth a tour. Its perfectly situated for access to the Eurostar saving you time and effort. My London go to now, you won't be disappointed. My only regret... I didn't buy one of the fantastic robes that had in-room :-)

Room Tip: We had a suite at the top of the hotel, very spacious. It has fabulous access to the Eurostar in the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay in Chambers with us. As you experienced, the exclusive Chambers Club, accessed by those staying in that part of the building, is a truly exceptional experience. We do hope to welcome you back soon (and will be sure to have a dressing gown waiting for you!)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

What an amazing place sitting in the heart of London.

If you are looking for an hotel with history and beautifully decorated, look no further, this is it.

A top class experience recommended to anyone.

If you do have a chance to stay in, don't miss the hotel tour, it will blow you away.

Victorian decor, fantastic stairwells ( might remember them from the moving stairs on the Harry Potter movie ) .

Staff is very friendly and polite and willing to help to cater your needs.

I Sir John Betjeman called this Gothic treasure “too beautiful and too romantic to survive” , but it did and here it is with all its glory .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time at the hotel and were able to join the historic tour. It obviously paid off: great to see you have quoted the saviour of the building ! We do hope to welcome you back again soon.