“Incredible”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #198 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an extraordinary hotel. Part of St Pacras International Train station, the owners did an extraordinary job of renovating this property. Very special. I highly recommend this for either business or pleasure, I was therein business but had the wife and kids with me. 3 years later the kids are still talking about the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank StevenEk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,491)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We used some of our bazillion Marriott points to stay at this hotel. Had to add an additional fee of $250 per night to "upgrade" to a chambers room. Wouldn't do that again. The regular chambers rooms on the train station room were really small, not the upgrade I expected. Not only that, crazy noisy from train station and the restaurant below. Asked to have our room changed to the upgrade I though I'd requested but apparently this was the upgrade. In the end, were moved the next day to a street side suite (the one with the big silver mirror over the fireplace if you've looked at the pictures). Still very loud but much larger. In hindsight. If it weren't for the chambers club access, I would not recommend the original chambers location in the hotel. Obviously they are original rooms but with that comes old plumbing. Our sink and shower would never drain, a little annoying when this suite is supposedly over $800 per night. Our friends stayed in the new side and loved their room.

Having kings cross/st pancras train station at your door step was great not only for transport but for the champagne bar/restaurant and other services right there. The chambers club was he best part of the hotel, the friendliest waitpersons and a great manager, I think Rick was his name, he was spectacular and a huge asset to this property. Service in the mail lobby area was careless and a little surely, servers being more interested in chatting with each other. The booking bar was nice but the music was too loud in the early evenings to enjoy a conversation. The building itself is very beautiful with a great location just two blocks from euston station. If I returned I would definitely would choose the less expensive new rooms.

Room Tip: Unless you just love trains, don't choose one on the station side. We had room 179 chambers buil...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were really looked forward to staying in this hotel as we booked it to go with our tour of Downton Abbey. Being a Gold Elite Member of Marriott Rewards I used reward points. Upon arrival I was told that they didn't have a lounge but was given a letter welcoming us and describing that we would have a full english breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea or coffee in the lobby lounge and snacks from 5P to 7P in the Lobby Lounge or Booking Office Bar. We went to the Lobby lounge for afternoon tea where the service was poor and the people serving us seemed quite snooty. We did not find ourselves welcome in the booking office in the evening therefore we never did try the snacks. In fact we found most of the service at this hotel to be poor. While our room was physically very nice. There was the usual tea and coffee service but there was no cream, nor was it replenished during our stay of 5 nights and we finally found someone to ask for cream. Wash cloths were not replaced and the bath tub being so narrow at the bottom that I felt like I was going to fall and held on to the handbars for dear life as it was slippery. The concierge the first half of our stay fit right in as he also seemed snobby and had an arrogant attitude. The bellhops and the people in the restaurant in the morning were lovely and the only reason I did not give this hotel one star. We did take advantage of the tour of the hotel which was excellent. As somebody who stays in Marriott Hotels all over the world this hotel was very disappointing. Being a Gold Elite Member for several years I have become accustomed to being treated very well and I did not find this hotel up to the usual Marriott Standards. There are several other places to stay in London which are much more convenient and where I have enjoyed my stays.I would not stay at this hotel again unless I were planning to go to Paris or Brussels via Eurostar.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a Shower instead of a tub. We were in a Barlow Room it was very nice and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Maxine3618
Reviewed August 31, 2013

First, note this comes from a Marriott rewards member with lounge access. We were in a lower end room (Barlow regular) - room view was of the train station roof, room small, but had a bed, desk, tv and bathroom with shower - that's all you need. Typical Marriott/Renaissance comfort bed. There is a ton of staff in the lobby and all were friendly and helpful. The lobby is stunning (old train station). BUT, the epitome of service were those in the lounge. Had noticed the same in Zurich - not sure where their training is done, or who selects staff, but these folks are the best. (At a Renaissance in Warsaw right now and it's not the same level.) The lounge food is better than average, too. Yes, a very expensive hotel, think it's pretty average for London. Location is not the best for walking to your typical sights, but it's great for access to the train and tube lines (including Picadilly, if you're coming/going to Heathrow) - you don't even have to go outside, it's direct access from the lobby. A nice walk to Regent's Park. Right next door to the British Library. I hear the hotel spa is fabulous, but didn't come prepared. Would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Not sure if others are noisy, but top floor of Barlow facing station was extremely quiet. If you wan...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Bit of a problem finding the hotel from the station side. We eventually found the entrance by process of elimination (platform level, the Booking Office bar on the right). There are then no signs to point you towards reception (or anywhere else). Once located, the reception area is impressive and the staff were helpful & friendly.

Our room (Barlow Premium) was also impressive (floor to ceiling windows overlooking the platform area) and huge – about 4½m x 7½m with a 5m high ceiling! The décor & furnishings were definitely superior and the bed & pillows were exceptionally comfortable. Masses of storage space. The dressing gowns were divine but there were no slippers!

And now the bad news. Two of the sideboard doors were hanging off and there were used coffee beakers inside (we spoke to reception and the cupboard doors were fixed while we were at dinner). There was a good dressing table between the two wardrobes but there was no mirror and no light. In fact there was nowhere to sit and dry my hair or put my make-up on - I ended up next to one of the windows, sitting cross legged on the floor with my hand mirror – in a 5 star hotel!!?

The aircon was effective but very noisy to the point where, when we went to bed, we decided to switch it off. Although we are used to dealing with aircon we couldn’t work this one and, unfortunately, there were no instructions so had a poor night’s sleep. In fact, there was no room information about anything. We had a problem with the TV due to a hotel system failure which was fixed quickly but we never got it to work satisfactorily – maybe instructions would have helped!

The lighting in the bathroom was very dim (my husband could hardly see to shave) as it was in the bedroom. I would describe it as “mood lighting” which is fine for a romantic evening but hopeless for reading, working or anything else. We also found the Booking Office bar very dark but you can sit outside which is better.

This is a fantastically convenient hotel if you’re travelling by Eurostar (as we were) but at £260 per night excl breakfast very expensive and ultimately disappointing. We were only there for one night and would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 309Chris
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I love the idea that a beautiful building that has been rendered redundant as a train station can have a renaissance as a 5-star luxury hotel. Aesthetically it truly works! Functionally I'm less convinced. No complaints as such but neither could I say the experience was 5-star. It's a good Marriott hotel that is more attractive than most but somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Beautiful place to stay, right in the heart of London.
Rooms are large, modern & well thought out.
The breakfast was great & kept us going for most of the day.
Service a little slow but staff were very friendly & helpful.
Not sure if it was worth the money. I wouldn't pay that price again but it was a special treat.( over $800 nz )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple