“Things have changed...!”

Ranked #200 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Frankfut, Germany
“Things have changed...!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just arrived today at St. Pancras for another two weeks stay. This is my third stay here and again its going to be for two weeks. So far I only had very positive experiances.

Well, lets make it short. Despite having eMail and telephone contact upfront to ensure that everything is fine, I received an so called "upgrade" to a room with a shower only. They call it Barlow Premium and it comes with free Breakfast and free Internet (which I have anyway as a Platinum Premier meber). As a bathtub is very important for me (as already stated to the hotel in 2011), I asked to change the room and I got my bathtub. But therefore I am now on the ground floor, with the taxi queue right in front of my window,some noices from the street, in a room that is just big enough to walk around the bed. The closet is not big enough to carry my clothing for two weeks.

There used to be water on the nightstand....well - not in my room (however after asking twice I was told that from tomorrow on I would get it...lets see!). At least tea and coffee are still available (milk is in the fridge).

Even though the hotel is booked, I have to say that I placed my reservation about 3 months before my arrival. So I was hoping that this was an adequate amount of time to allocate a nice room to my reservation.

Overall I have to ask myself why do I have to pay extra, to stay in a tiny little room....of a hotel that impressed my before. Therefore, if its busy in London, dont hope to get a special treatment here as a Marriott Platinum member....look for other hotels, that do offer more value for your money. If you book in advance, there are lots of possiblities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joerg04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Dakota
Reviewed June 23, 2013

As could be surmised from number of Trip Advisor reviews we have written, we are generally content with mid priced properties, feeling that most high priced venues are overrated.

But not the St. Pancras Renaissance! We used Marriott points to bring down the price of a Chambers Jr. Suite to our price range. A great decision.

First off the hotel. Spectacular architecture lovingly restored. Modern amenities brought into a framework of classic elegance. The fifteen minute introductory tour upon check in was very helpful and informative. Even offered to have the butler stop by to attend to any unpacking and ironing needs we might have. Great welcome.

Then there's the room. Good be used for work or leisure either. We were on the first floor (European numbering -- second floor in American numbering). A quiet and spacious hallway yielding to a quiet and spacious room that nonetheless overlooked the train quays. Fascinating and delightful.

A final touch was the Chambers Club. Great breakfast selection. Formal afternoon tea. Evening hors d'ouvres. For us, the piece de resistance was being able to order dinner from the booking office in the piece and quiet of the Chambers Club.

So if this is your accustomed style of travel, you won't be disappointed. Or for a truly special occasion and an unusual treat of excellence, it should prove worth the investment. In addition, my guess is that for convenience and serviceability at a lower price, the Barlow rooms also would be just fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IowaGrandparents
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Awesome building and delightful staff. Would highly recommend. So convenient for many reasons. Want to come back and stay longer sometime. Take a train to Another city from there. Appeared easy to do so...and will do so next time in London.

Stayed June 2013
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in May. Got there pretty early, reception offered a room straight away, although told us we had a better room organised if we wanted to wait, which was fine for us.

Came back at 4pm, our bags had already gone to the room, and our keys were ready for us. Stayed in a Barlow Premium King Room - very large, very comfortable - no real view though, which we had been told we had by reception.

Even so, excellent stay. Very central location, great for using the tube to go everywhere around London (straight downstairs). Heaps of shops and restaurants in St Pancras Station, very convenient.

Breakfast was included each day at the Booking Office - superb A La Carte during the week, Buffet on the weekend.

Had room service one night - a brilliant steak - expensive, but worth it :-)

Quick easy checkout, and easy exit to the Eurostar downstairs.

Will be back next time we are in London

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

As of today (6/22/2013) I am currently mid-stay at the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel. This hotel is a stunning (from the moment you first lay eyes on it) but our stay did get off to a bit of a rough start.

After a 12 day Mediterranean cruise that arrived very early in Dover, we were very much looking forward to an early check-in. I had even contacted the Marriott Platinum (who claimed they checked with the hotel to confirm we could check-in early). Unfortunately, we were told the room wasn’t ready.

The good news was that we were allowed to wait in the Chambers Club (for approximately an hour) until our room was available. The Chambers Club is truly extraordinary. Anka and the other staff have been providing exceptional service.

As a Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Platinum) member, I had requested but did not receive an upgrade. This too was disappointing as the Barlow room is rather small for my wife, daughter and I (but it is larger than the stateroom that we had on the cruise ship which is a positive)

A second issue was that my Platinum amenity wasn’t delivered and I had to make two calls before it was finally delivered (truly unusual for a hotel of this very high calibre)

However, contrary to other reviews, there is no noise from the street (and we are on the 1st floor). The Barrow room is clean, is well-appointed and smells fresh.

There are two things thing that Kevin might want to look into. The first is the “smell” in the vestibule area once you exit the 1st floor lift. It is a bit off-putting but vanishes once you exit the vestibule doors into the main corridor. The second is the loss prevention staff.
As mentioned in other reviews, I too feel they are a bit aggressive as I have been repeatedly asked if I am a guest of the hotel (when entering and existing the lobby area during daylight hours) and was once asked if I was “lost” when approaching the front door while out walking around Bloomsbury). Whilst I am American on holiday, I do wear proper casual attire and certainly don’t feel that I look “lost”. However, given the proximity to the rail station I do understand the need for security.

Despite the rough start it would be impossible to give anything less than the highest possible rating.

As far as location, this location cannot be beat. There are a number of interesting sites, from the traditional to the eclectic, within walking distance. Some examples are British Library, Foundling Museum, Wellcome Collection (a free exhibit that's truly ecclectic), Charles Dickens Museum, British Museum and several very nice public gardens. The hotel has a Concierge that can provide additional recommendations and assist with special plans.

The hotel’s proximity to St Pancras station / Kings Cross are perfect for local trains, the Eurostar and the London underground (it took us less than 15 minutes to take the underground from the Tower of London back to the hotel on the “Circle Line” (take it in the direction of Hammersmith to get back to the hotel).

The hotel also has a tour (complimentary) that is guided by hotel historian. We haven’t taken this tour yet but we do have it booked for Monday (but we have heard very good things about the 90 minute tour)

As someone who has spent more nights in Marriott properties over the last `15+ years than my own home, I can assure you that this hotel is truly magnificent and unlike any hotel I have ever stayed in. The architecture and beauty of the building will leave you speechless (an ideal place to take that special person away from a romantic getaway)

There is no question that we will stay here again when we return to London. My family and I have three more nights left (four including tonight) and we absolutely plan to enjoy every remaining minute here.

Kudos to Kevin, Christian, Paul, Anka and the rest of the St Pancras Renaissance team !

P.S. As per my wife the rasberry bon-bons (from Mrs Kibbles') at Reception are absolutely decadent !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family wanted to start our European Trip in London followed by a train to Brussels and beyond. We chose this Marriott property and could not be more pleased. The hotel location is unbeatable for our purposes and as a base in London really. The rooms are large and well appointed. Staff and Service great. Many restaurants in or around the hotel and train station.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

On Friday, June 7th we were booked into this splendid edifice and from the moment we arrived were treated quite royally! The concierge, very young but very smart greeted us so courteously and the reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. When we finally arrived in our room we discovered it was huge with an even bigger bathroom. Everything, probably as you'd expect, was spotless. We were off to the theatre that night so didn't dine in but we did come down for breakfast in the Booking Office which was an extraordinary place with masses of usual breakfast fare on offer. Sadly, the waitresses did let the side down a bit by poor service, and in the end when my eggs didn't arrive, the duty manager had spotted the problem and sorted it out. It was also a bit of a concern that during breakfast a lot of people were making their way through the Booking Office into the station itself and I felt that would be a massive concern to the security staff, not to mention one's own belongings whilst enjoying a meal. Throughout our holiday in St Pancras, as well as Paris/Zurich/Italy we were repeatedly warned about pickpockets and other gangs of thieves. So to be in a first-class hotel, see people walking straight through did slightly bother me. That said, this hotel is simply a triumph for everyone involved in its renovation, they must be very proud. Even just going there for afternoon tea is a wondrous experience, nice to see such history still going strong.

Room Tip: The reception staff suggested upgrading us for an additional £100 to a Chambers Jr Suite which I had...