“Fine architectural features” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #207 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“Fine architectural features”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Enjoyed my one night stay in this hotel. I've always loved St. Pancras Station and when staying in the hotel, one can truly bask in the Victorian architecture of the place. The reception area is wonderful as is the Platinum lounge and the views from some of the rooms must be awesome. My basic room had a tight view of the outside of the roof (covered in snow). The room was comfortable but a tad warm (despite my constant fiddling with the AC). The price of £270 per night is a little steep, however the location for someone travelling to and from Sheffield is perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jayteacat
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of the St Pancras Hotel and for staying with us. Views from the Chambers are the ones which are unique - either looking out to the front or overlooking the eurostar trains. Maybe we will be able to welcome you to one of them in the future.
We hope to see you again at St Pancras anytime soon.
Kind regards, Kevin Kelly, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

As a child my father used to bring me into london. We had lunch in the then GPO tower in the revolving resturant in the 70's and we stood out side the St Pancras building to admire the building and pray it would be bought back to life one day. So my joy when it was re-born and 40 years later I decided that with 2 days in London I could stay near my work in Knightsbridge but NO i wanted to explore the building that I and my now deceased father had admired all those years ago. I booked the guided tour of the hotel at the same time as I booked the room and was Ok to do the hellish trip back and forth to knightsbridge on the train as it would be worth it.
BUT they only have one tour guide and he was off sick. I was gutted. This whole hotels life is about the building, the building !! Not the Spa, the bar, the restaurant etc etc THE BUILDING !!!
Why can't they train up another tour guide to cover for the sick guy. If more people know you could tour the hotel with a guide I am sure they would have a lot more takers. The lady from guest services was very apologetic and offered me a tour " another time" seeing I have not been to London in years and won't be retuning anytime soon that did not make me feel better. I had hoped on check out that she would offer me compementory a copy of the coffee table book about the history of the place but she did not. Its a shame they spent all that money refurbing the building and let down one of its true fans, who wanted to enjoy what they had achived. Thank god they have more than 1 beefeater at the tower of London as tour guides !!!!!

1 Thank purserMonaco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

A truly splendid setting for tea on a winter afternoon. Fresh peppermint tea, rich hot chocolate and the chocolate cake and cookie were good. Disappointingly, their menu range of cakes was sold out by 3.45pm this Tuesday afternoon and you would have had to book well ahead for their formal afternoon tea. Service was below the standard you'd expect: poor knowledge of services and products - but only needing more coaching/training to raise it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the Hansom Lounge at the St Pancras Hotel. I appreciate your feedback and the impression you received is definitely not up to our standards. Our Afternoon Tea is freshly prepared on a daily basis and therefore needs to be booked in advance. I apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to be able to welcome you back to St Pancras anytime soon.
Hythe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Bedroom and bathroom were fine, everything worked and the bed was comfortable. The A/C was surprisingly noisy for a new build though. I turned it off before bedding down for the night.
I was using this hotel along with colleagues for business reasons, yes it was a Friday but I did not expect loud inappropriate music complete with DJ in the only bar available upon our return mid evening after a set of meetings. Plus, the it was so dark in this area that I could not read my papers anyway. Music was too loud to talk over and there was no where else for us to go, lobby lounge area was full.

Breakfast the following morning was a buffet, and a very poor one. The scrambled eggs were watery and warm at best, tasteless. Sausage available was a heavily seasoned Cumberland. No plain alternative, plus the ones on the buffet were all dried up, as was the bacon. I asked for fried eggs to be cooked for me, this was done nicely, but took 20 minutes from order to serving. The queues for the toaster to make your own toast were long, most people including me didn't bother. The coffee, served, was weak and watery and the espresso machine unavailable. Service was only OK at best.

I normally use a different brand in London and this property has a very long way to go before it gets even close to that brand, which I might add is cheaper. we payed 280.00 for the rooms we had. Check in and check out was efficient, and the building is absolutely wonderful - a real feat of refurbishment. This is not a business hotel I conclude, just has to be aimed at tourists as a business hotel would never have a too dark to read bar with loud pervasive music together with a very third rate breakfast - should have gone out onto the station as there were better offers outside the hotel.

I will not be returning here, and I did not enjoy one little bit.

1 Thank John D
Thank you for your review of the St Pancras Hotel. I was obviously disappointed to read your comments and can only apologise that you were not informed about the Gilbert Scott Bar which is a second bar in the Hotel and does not have live entertainment in the evenings. I am sure you would have found this a good alternative to the Booking Office.
I appreciate your feedback about breakfast which we have taken on board. Improvements to the buffet which is served on weekends have since been made.
I would hope to be able to welcome you back to St Pancras to show that the impression you received is not up to the standards we pride ourselves with.
Sidcup, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in the grand staircase suite and grand it was !!! This room was breath taking and I felt like pretty woman , the bathroom superb marble ,I.this is the best hotel in the whole of London with the best room,staff took care of our every need from the moment we arrived,this was well worth every moment ,the only complaint I had was I had to go home !!!

Room Tip: Just book the staircase suite that's my tip !!! And this is the chambers part decor amazing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 932Karen
Thank you very much for staying with us in the Staircase Suite and for writing this review. The Staircase Suite is truly spectacular and very unique. I am glad to hear you had an amazing time. You should have simply extended your stay.
I hope to see you at St Pancras again soon.
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I first stayed at the St. Pancras by myself two years ago, just a few months after the hotel had opened. It was such an amazing experience that I planned a return trip with my husband, children and father to celebrate his 80th birthday. Everyone in my family was as amazed with the hotel as I had been that first trip. My eight year old son thought it just as spectacular as did my 80 year old father, a Classical historian.

The hotel is one of grandest, most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. And the service at the hotel is amazing-- from James at the concierge desk to Sara in the Chambers Club. The food in the Booking Room was very good, and the new St. Pancras beer was excellent. The pool is gorgeous and the gym was great. And while the neighborhood is not particularly interesting, the location right next to Eurostar and the St. Pancras tube stop make the neighborhood a non-issue.

We ended up staying our last night in London in a different hotel and we were all very disappointed. I will never stay anywhere in London but the St. Pancras Renaissance again. Overall, we spent nine days in London and Paris; while we all has our own favorite sites and experiences, we all agreed that the St. Pancras Renaissance was a highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: The Barlow rooms are modern and on the small side. If you can manage it, book a Chambers Room. The...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KathSnide
Thank you very much for staying at the St Pancras Hotel on such a special occassion. I am delighted to hear that it was a highlight for the whole family. You arrived just in time to be one of the first to try our new St Pancras beer which is brewed exclusively for us.
Hopefully we will see you again soon at St Pancras.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The location of this hotel is just perfect for anyone travelling to / from London from the North of England or by Eurostar to Europe. This recently renovated hotel is an architectural gem, especially for those interested in the Victorian Gothic style, in which this building was originally constructed on the mid 19th century. The renovation has been carried out very sensitively and many of the magnificent original features have been preserved. The building is worth a visit, even if you are not staying at the hotel. The facilities of the hotel, the service and food etc are just about OK for a 5 star hotel, but it is the spectacular building that makes this hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank John D
Thank you very much for your review of the St Pancras Hotel. I can only agree that the building is spectacular and definitely worth a visit. I would recommend staying in the Chambers to see most of it as this is the original part of the building.
I was disappointed to read your comment that you think the service and facilities are just about ok. That is not what we aim for and we appreciate any feedback we receive in order to imrove the service we deliver. Please do get in touch if there is anything you would like to share.
Hopefully we will see you again at St Pancras anytime soon.