“beautiful but not perfect”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #198 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2013

i was so excited to stay at this hotel because i love the architecture. Even though I only live 5 minutes away, I was getting married opposite the hotel, so perfect excuse to stay for 2 nights.

the day staff were so accommodating, from room service staff to concierges. they even sent up complimentry cake to myself and bridesmaids when we were getting ready.

the bed was very comfortable (some of the best pillows i have ever slept on) and room was much larger than i expected. It's also extremely quiet and the sound is even dampened down in the corridors. room service breakfast was really really good.

sadly i now move onto the negatives...
- charging £25 for wifi! i just can't believe that hotels (especially of this level) charge guests wifi. i firmly believe that a wifi should be included in the price of the room & I refuse to pay any extra for it.
- rude unaccomadating night staff. we arived back at the hotel at 2am so the main door was closed & there was just 1 member of security guarding the small door the the side. it was freezing and beginning to rain, i was just in wedding dress so very cold. the security guy wouldn't even let me stand in the entrance in the warm without my husband showing him our room key. the husband was busy paying the cab driver and struggling with the other bags, yet we were forced to stand out in the rain/cold until he had checked the key. he didn't even say hello or good evening to us.
- booking office staff. love the food & drinks in the hotel bar. just hate the service. so slow and forget parts of the order. the main hostesses are the rudest people i think i have ever met. they never smile. I have been to the booking office several times since it first opened with friends and the service is going down hill very fast, it is worse everytime we go. think i have now had enough and doubt i will be returning.

so the 3 rating is purely for the day staff and hotel room. If i never left the room and only ordered room service it would be a 4 rating. the no free wifi for paying guests is a sticking point for me and night staff & booking office staff sadly put a black cloud over what was actually a nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank arch_82
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you very much for staying at the St Pancras Hotel for this special occassion. I was glad to hear you had an enjoyable time while getting ready for your wedding and enjoyed your room as well as room service and complimentary amenities.
I am happy to inform you that we do offer room categories that include complimentary internet and as of April wifi will be complimentary in public areas.
I was disappointed to hear your comment about our night security. On a weekend once our bar has closed we indeed limit entry to in-house guests. Please accept my sincere apologies that our officer did not recognise you as a resident right away.
Your comments about the Booking Office have been addressed with the team.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to St Pancras. Please do get in touch if there is anything else I can assist with.
Kind regards, Kevin Kelly, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,433)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have been traveling to London multiple times a year for too many years to mention and this hotel is truly exceptional! Over the years we had walked by the location many times going from Kings Cross to Euston Stations and saw this old run-down building that was breathtaking in it's decaying grandeur. We were so excited a few years ago to see it blocked off with signs promising that it was going to be renovated as a Renaissance / Marriott property. Well, we waited patiently and booked the hotel on our first trip after it was reopened and it did not disappoint! From the moment the taxi pulled up you just new it was something special! The architecture is amazing!

We had taken a red-eye in and we were really early for check-in. I'm certain that my excitement was evident and the staff member who was checking us in very kindly asked if we would like to go on the architectural tour of the building. I did not know that this was an option! Be still my heart!
The tour was excellent. The building is absolutely glorious and I am certain that I would have missed a great deal of it if I hadn't been on that tour. Mr. Royden Stock (the historian and tour guide) was entertaining and informative and it was such a great way to have a good peek around.
So if you're lucky enough to be staying here, be sure to book the tour the tour. It is time very well spent! As a hotel guest the tour is complimentary and I believe they charge a nominal fee if you are just visiting the hotel.

The staff could not have been any nicer or more efficient. We were still very early for check-in, so after the tour we went to the Chambers Room just to have a seat and have some refreshments. My husband is Marriott Platinum and we were given access to the Club for the duration of our stay.
That was by far, the loveliest Club Room I have ever seen in a Marriott property. Just gorgeous! Sky high ceilings, a magnificent staircase, a helpful attentive staff, great scones and a wine dispensing machine. What more can you ask for?

A short time later, (and still very early for check-in) hotel reception came in to the Club Room with our room keys. (No going back and forth, no long delays. They came in with the keys and by the time we got to the room our luggage was already there.). The service really was efficient.

Our room was one of the modern ones in the new building. It was large, spotless, and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and the amenities were REN. Very nice! It is true that the room was kind of dark and had only a small window. But given that the location is superb in terms of transit (between 2 train stations), I'm kind of glad that we didn't have a massive window. When we booked we were a little concerned about the noise based upon the location, but our concerns were unwarranted. I have no idea how that building is soundproofed, but it is amazingly quiet.

Breakfast was in the booking room which is also a sight to behold. The restoration is most impressive! The food was really good and again, the service was excellent.

If you walk out of the booking office you are right in St. Pancras Station. There is a nice shopping area and you can just take the glass elevator down to the Eurostar. So easy! There is also a passage way that leads to Kings Cross Station. It is very well signed. I will admit that I was a bit concerned about security being so close to the traIn stations, but there was no need. Every time we entered the hotel via St. Pancras Station there was a very pleasant security person to greet you and hold open the door, regardless of the time of day.

The lobby is also incredibly beautiful. In the lobby (as well as in other areas of the hotel) they have large glass jars filled with blue candy. Be sure to try one as they are quite interesting. I'm still not sure what they are!

Overall, staying at this hotel is quite the treat. It has every modern amenity housed in a true architectural gem!

Since our initial visit we have stayed at this hotel on one other occasion. I assumed that things would have been different since our initial experience was so great. I am happy to say that it was just as good as the first visit!

My new goal is to stay in one of the Chambers Rooms in the old building! That has got to be a treat!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Douglasthedog
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the St Pancras Hotel.
I am glad to hear about your excellent stays with us and about your aim to stay in the Chambers. The suites are truly spectacular and I highly recommend them. Please call us toll free on +44 (0) 207 841 3575 to make a reservation.
As you said Historic tours are complimentary for in house guests and available to non-residents at £20 per person.
The blue sweets in the lobby are Victorian raspberry bonbons and very addictive. There is a small sweet shop in London where we buy them.
Thank you for staying with us and I hope to be able to welcome you to the Chambers in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stunning hotel which is outstanding on approach and as you enter the reception area.

We were offered an accessible room as I was on crutches and it was perfect for what we needed. The bed was big and comfy. The roll away bed for our daughter was already in situe, and well placed - which is so often not the case when we have arrived at other hotels.

We were late arriving but we were still able to order a wonderful meal in our room whilst our daughter slept. It was a lovely Valentine's night.

The service from almost all staff we encountered was positive and customer focussed.

Our only disappointment was at breakfast where the service was lacking a genuine feel and was not as attentive as we would like or certainly expect from this hotel. A smoothie order was forgotten and hot drinks were served over the head of our 5 year old daughter - a very dangerous moment! Breakfast itself was OK but not to the level I would expect for the hotel or the cost. We ate at Le Pain Quotidien in the station the next day and this was a much better experience.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will stay there again.

By the way we were very impressed with the ease with which we received the price promise deal - Marriott really do deliver on their promises to provide the best online price or they will match it and discount by 25%.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kate J
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel.
I appreciate your kind words and recommeding our Hotel. I was disappointed to hear about your breakfast experience and passing a hot drink above your daughter's head is unexcusable. Please rest assured that I have addressed this with my team and accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back anytime soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

HOW CAN THIS AMAZING BUILDING BE SO LOW DOWN THE LONDON HOTEL LIST?
One can only assume that people don't know about it.
We stayed here for a wedding that was being held in the hotel and it was already on my list of buildings to see in London.
Wow, what a building. Seems to be in two halfs. You can have the modern hotel or the half of the hotel that looks like a medievil palace. I experienced both and both were 5 star.
Just look at the photos I have included and marvel at the incredible detail in this building.
We stayed in a modern hotel room which was lovely, very clean. We slept extremely well (too much champagne) and I can report that the room was quiet and I hear no noise from anywhere else.
The breakfast was buffet style and there was planty of choice to please most people. There was plenty of friendly staff around everywhere and the stay was just wonderful.
But it's the budiling itself that is the wonder. Look at the grandeur outside and the palatial surroundings inside. Marvellous.

Room Tip: modern rooms are great but get in to the spirit of this palace and go for a old style room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cartagia

Thank you very much for your glorious review. I really appreciate it.
There are indeed two parts of the Hotel, the so called Barlow House which is a new building and due to it's attachment to the original one it makes it the newest Grade 1 listed building in the UK. And then there is of course the Chambers which is the historic part of the building. To experience the full Victoriana we definitely recommend staying in the Chambers which also includes Butler service and access to the Chambers Club for breakfast, light afternoon tea, pre dinner canapes and drinks throughout the day.
Thank you once again for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back anytime soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the St. Pancras for the first time in February. We were heading to Paris on the Eurostar for an early morning departure so decided to stay "at the station". It was a great choice. The public areas of the hotel are one of a kind. There was a book in our room about the renovation of the original hotel and it was quite an endeavor. It was fascinating to see the fabulous staircase in the old hotel and the booking room of the old station being put to good use. We stayed in a room in the new section of the hotel and therefore could not go upstairs in the old section to see more of the renovation but photos in the book told the story.

The hotel lobby, bars and restaurant are bustling places with a certain level of energy. It isn't an intimate place, but it is not meant to be. I will say the room in the new section was very quiet though a bit smaller than some of the rooms in other Marriott properties in London. Breakfast in the Booking Office was quite nice.
I am happy that I was able to stay there...especially when we checked out and had a mere 5 minute walk to the Eurostar check in area!!

Room Tip: For a real treat, choose a room in the old hotel if you can bear to part with the money. The reward...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank flomap

Thank you very much for your kind review of the St Pancras Hotel.
Great to hear you made the choice of staying with us and had such a good time. You are absolutely right, the building and it's restauration is amazing. We do offer Historic Tours several times a week if you are interested to learn even more about the Hotel. On these tours we show more of the Historic part which is called the Chambers and maybe next time you will stay there. Feel free to call us on 020 7841 3540 to find about availabilty and rates. When staying in the Chambers we organise fast track to the eurostar which means you just leave the Hotel a few minutes before departure and we will escort you onto the train and assist with your luggage.
The Booking Office is a very lively bar in the Hotel and offers live music on every Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening from 7pm. There is also The Gilbert Scott Bar and Restaurant within the Hotel which is an alternative to the Booking Office.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again at St Pancras in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I went on a tour of the then empty run-down building just before the renovation began a few years ago and knew then that I wanted to experience a stay there once it reopened. I finally took the opportunity last Friday having spotted good offers for Marriott Rewards members on the website. Before arrival, I must admit I wondered if this hotel would be a bit too upmarket for me but I need not have been concerned. From check in to check out, all the staff I saw were welcoming, friendly and so very helpful. Once I had registered, I was given a tour of the hotel which quickly helped me get my bearings and then taken to my room, a Chambers Grand Junior Suite. I think I was almost speechless by then having been amazed by the restored splendour of the building and now shown the most fabulous hotel room I have ever been in.
Once settled in there and having declined the offer of the butler service to unpack my bag, I went down to the Chambers Club, access to which was included in the room offer. A superb afternoon tea was available there and I helped myself to two delicious scones with jam and thick cream. Returning there during the evening, a friend and I spent a couple of hours chatting in there and being offered complimentary drinks at frequent intervals. Next morning, I went to the Club for breakfast and was more than pleased with what was on offer.
Overall, I found this hotel to be a true oasis of calm and luxury in the heart of a busy part of London. Had I not been booked on Eurostar that Saturday morning, I would have been tempted to extend my stay. As it is, I can't wait to go back and hopefully stay longer next time. Lastly, I must emphasise that the staff here are a fantastic asset their attitude and efforts made this stay just about perfect.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank furgus
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your stay in the Chambers. We would love to welcome you back anytime soon. Please feel free to call us on 0207 841 3575 to make a reservation and we can see if there are any special offers available for you as Marriott Rewards member.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night before going to Paris on the Eurostar. My boyfriend had booked it for the special occasion of asking me to marry him, he stated this when booking and we were kindly upgraded because of this. The suite we had was beautiful and looked out into St Pancras station which was a fantastic view, like no other hotel I have stayed at!

The staff and room service were fantastic except for one exception, the security staff who was at the main grand entrance late in the night did not believe we were guests and was quite rude to us, once we had shown him our room card he begrudgingly let us pass. We had wanted to go up to our room but the beautiful main staircase which has featured in many films, but didn't hang around to look at it properly because we were made to feel so uncomfortable and unwelcome the security staff.

I would definitely like to stay here again though and would recommend it, this has always been my favourite building in London and the inside really does do the outside justice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leah M

Thank you very much for your review and Congratulations! It is great to hear your fiance chose the St Pancras Hotel for this special occassion and you had a great time.
I am disappointed to hear your feelings about the attitude of our Loss Prevention Officer at night and that he did not make you feel welcome. I have personally followed up on this matter with my Loss Prevention Team.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to St Pancras in the not too distant future and please feel free to stop by anytime to have a look at the Grand Staircase. We also offer Historic Tours of the building so please give us a call if you are interested in one of them.