“Great building retored to former glory”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #197 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Roos are nice, but it is the main lobby, bars and restaurants that make this place special. Good location to get throughout London via tube. This location is especially convenient if you need to take the train to the Northwest or Northeast of GB via Kings Cross or Euston.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,487)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My children and I spent a wonderful morning having a leisurely breakfast at the St Pancras Hotel, London over half-term. This beautiful old Station has undergone an extensive £800m restoration, and is now a luxury hotel. The architecture is amazing, and the transformation to modern day five-star luxury is sensitive to the building's history. My children (aged 14 and 12) enjoyed looking at the fabulous examples of Victorian Gothic architectural details, and we wandered straight out onto the platform, (where one boards the Eurostar), to look at the bronze sculptures, and enjoyed seeing the famous one of John Betjeman, who campaigned tirelessly to save this building (and many others) in the 1960s and 70s. The service, from being met at the door stepping out of our taxi, and in the restaurant was perfection, and all the facilities were beautiful. If you enjoy architecture and great service, I would recommend a visit here. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night on October 12. I'm a Gold Marriott member and was always able to have lounge access. However, we were told by a rather curt staff member that due to a recent policy change, lounge access is reserved for only their "top" Platinum customers. Everyone knows that prices in London are sky high so having free drinks and snacks can save a lot of money. The staff refused to explain further and said at least breakfast was still included - a standard perk for elite members. Marriott's website clearly states that Gold and Platinum members are granted access to their lounges worldwide - we felt ripped off. Going forward we shall stay with other chains, as I'm a premier member with Hilton and Starwood as well..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank LasAlturas
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stunning building and one could rate this 4 or 5 just on the building (if you're in the old part, my friend was in the new, and I was in the old).. The new is absolutely mediocre and when you consider price and location ... It just ain't great. The Old part is stunning.
Service in this hotel is the issue, it is totally bland , a bit disinterested, a bit uncaring.
You are ignored at the bar (although there is an absolute army of staff)
Double pepperoni pizza is small, expensive and there is barely enough pepperoni to cover the meagre slices of sauceless, gloppy pizza (what would a single pepperoni pizza look like one wonders!?)
Minibar is all sweet

The bathroom soaps are nice.

Hey, stay in London, the area is awful.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Slavomir B
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for one night for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is gorgeous, a very elegant restoration of an old building full of character. The room was big and very comfortable, on my list of favourites anywhere. Huge, comfortable bed; great shower; everything you need.
The spa was a little disappointing as the pool is so small - really not worth bothering to make it a pool at all - which given the size of all the other rooms in the hotel was very surprising.
The spa treatments are expensive, as are the restaurants - so we didn't bother but breakfast is excellent and served until 11am on Saturday, allowing for a lie-in AND a swim beforehand. All the staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful and there were plenty on hand to make our stay as relaxing as possible.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is gorgeous, but not cheap and the most disappointing thing I found was that it fell into the typical high end hotel that still charges additional money for wifi connectivity on top of my room rate. Digression aside...

The room was very spacious - I was staying in the newer part of the hotel. It's incredibly large considering the typical size of hotel room in London. I had plenty of room to spread out. The bathroom was spacious enough. The products provided are the Ren brand: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion and soap. I ended up making a local phone call from the room - DON'T. The call cost me over 30GBP for one hour, total bummer. Lastly, upon check out, I had checked my bag with concierge. When I went to grab my bag, concierge was occupied and I was in a hurry, so I found someone at the front desk who wasn't helping anyone and asked to get my bag as the concierge was taking a while. They did get my bag, but they made me feel like I was out of line with my request, nothing overt, but a bit of 'tsk, tsk'.

Its vicinity to the Angel tube stop and the train station is literally on top of them. Overall, I'd love to stay here again - but likely not due to the 'nickel & diming' for wifi and local phone calls and the general feeling of 'you don't seem to quite belong' here going on.

I ate one meal at the Booking Office. It was good, the drink was super yummy. However, I was put in an awkward situation; I didn't have a reservation, but thought as a hotel guest of one, I could get seated quickly. I did get seated quickly enough by one man who seated me at a table that showed a reserved sign, but then another employee (female) came up afterward and told me I couldn't sit there; I politely told her this was where I was seated and she wanted me to tell her who told me this. Upon receiving the info, she left me seated and I ordered and then finished my meal with her never saying another word to me. I felt slightly uncomfortable for the rest of my meal wondering if someone was going to come up to me and tell me to hurry it along.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GreenStarfish
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I’m in London a few times a year and have stayed at most of the Marriott’s in town. This is my favorite. Two classes of rooms, the newer wing are traditional rooms, but very functional. The chambers are amazing, warm and grand. The staircase is reason alone to visit the hotel. Chambers club is great quality. International staff is attentive and always welcoming. Bar service moves at their own pace.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to the chambers