“Nice little pub near Silicon Roundabout”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fox

The Fox
Ranked #16,297 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
London, United Kingdom
“Nice little pub near Silicon Roundabout”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stopped by here with some colleagues after an event at the nearby Google Campus. It's a mellow place with a decent (and decently priced) beer selection, and a reasonable range of wine as well. Service can be a bit slow at times. Unfortunately, food options are pretty minimal which is a shame as there aren't many places to eat around here in the evening, and this was a main reason for our moving on rather than lingering longer.

• Visited June 2012

Beverly Hills, California
“Gastro Pub Upstairs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Quaint upstairs area with small fireplace on cold day. Filled up late with regulars. My colleague and I enjoyed the nice selections, he had steak, I had the lamb on broad beans (photo). I ordered the merangue for dessert, a bit stifff but with nice sauce. Sure beats tired old pub grub. Lots of great alternatives in the Shoreditch area and particularly Paul Street. This one is a very good selection.

• Visited February 2012
Lisiya12
“Delish gastropub but service a tad slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Went to The Fox last night with three friends for dinner in the restaurant upstairs. The menu looked great with 3-5 choices each for appetizers, entrees and desserts but our waiter informed us some of the entrees were almost sold out. We had the steak, pork burger, duck confit, and braised beef shin and all three of the starters.

The food was quite good; I would definitely recommend the sprouting broccoli app, which came with an egg on top that was surprisingly delicious with the veg. Also, my beef shin was so tender and juicy. I tried the pork burger as well and while it's misnamed (no bun to be seen; really should have been called a pork patty) there were some great tangy flavors.

We ordered all four desserts and my favorite was the grapefruit granita, which was extremely refreshing. The treacle tart was a table favorite as well.

My only complaint is it took a while for each course to get to us. Between ordering our food and getting the appetizers we waited a good 15 min at least. Maybe it was because there was a large party downstairs. That said, the server was super-friendly, so I can't really fault the service that much.

• Visited January 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a lovely little pub with a very lovely upstairs dining room. I had lunch here for the first time last week and was very impressed.

The menu is fairly limited, but I'd rather a small menu where the food is cooked well then an extensive one where it's all pretty average. And the food turned out to be very good indeed. I had the rib steak which was simply delicious; cooked perfectly and the beef was very good quality. My friends were very pleased with their dishes too. Our only complaint was that the service was quite slow - we only had an hour for lunch so it was a bit of a rush by the time the food arrived. But it was certainly worth the wait.

• Visited November 2011
Derbyshire
“Good food, good staff and handy for the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

The Fox calls itself "perfectly placed between the bustle of the City and the buzz and energy of Shoreditch and Hoxton" and that was certainly true when I went there for lunch with a mix of city and the more arty coming together. The food for me was the star of the show. I had lamb, nicely grilled with a Spanish style veg and garlic stew on the side. Colleagues had various soups and salads and found them all excellent. The service was good - we'd asked for a quiet table and got an email to confirm they could. A good place with a bit of charm but close enough to the City for a walk up for lunch - but beware if you don't like garlic.