“Disappointing hen activity”
Review of Homemade London

Homemade London
Ranked #179 of 763 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Owner description: A unique craft salon offering inspiring workshops, short courses and parties in the heart of the West End. Create the things you love with London’s most stylish crafts people, who'll teach you how to make their designs in a fun and sociable environment, using the highest quality materials.
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had a fascinator making afternoon for a hen do. We were told it was £45 per person for fascinator making including afternoon tea with sandwiches, wine and tea. Firstly, we only had a choice of two different colours/ pattern feathers, which we werent allowed to choose ourselves. There were no materials (no flowers etc like in other establishments), we were limited to two sequins each (apparently they were very expensive). We cut out a bit of felt, followed by sewing a little ribbon onto it, followed by trying in vein to stick feathers on the felt with the wrong glue. (I am a teacher and my 5 year olds did something alot more difficult recently)

The woman teaching us didnt know how to make it properly and the glue we used wasnt fabric glue it was ceramic glue, so we ended up spending an hour holding down the feathers onto the felt and getting sore thumbs!! Additionally, towards the end, another teacher came down and told us we should have done it a different way! There were ten of us and no ones feathers stuck properly to their felt. Then, they came apart as soon as we left Homemade London.

They were oversubscribed, so there weren't enough scissors, sequins etc and there were 4 scones for ten people and no sandwiches and no wine. We had to go out and buy extra food for it. Again, this was £45 per person plus the extra costs - this was definitely not worth it. Very disappointed. Would never recommend it to anyone.

The bit that was fun was seeing our friends and laughing about it, but extremely overpriced for what we got. I would recommend people to go to other fascinator making venues.

4  Thank Lucy643
HomemadeLondon, Owner at Homemade London, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

I was really sorry to hear your review and sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations. We love hosting hen parties at Homemade London and want to make the experience as special as possible for everyone who visits.

In answer to your points - our parties cater for people of all abilities and in this particular workshop to guarantee success, we do follow set designs - hence the reason we do not use flowers etc as embellishments.

The only restrictions we made were on the very expensive Swarovski crystals we use. Used sparingly, they reflect the light and add to the design. Alternatives were available and no restrictions were put on these.

The price of our hen parties include complimentary tea and a selection of cakes and this is made clear at time of booking. A selection of different cakes were served at the party and complimentary wine glasses were available for wine. Full afternoon tea, cakes and wine are available with certain hen party options and upon request for an additional fee - but this will always be made clear on the booking form. I'm very sorry if there was any confusion with your group and I understand that you wouldn't feel that you were getting value for money if this is what you were expecting.

We have a wonderful team of experienced designer/makers at Homemade London and this is a workshop we've taught to hundreds of people with great success, with materials that are appropriate for the design, (we don't use ceramic glue, but perhaps this was one of the uses listed on the tube).

I apologise again for any misunderstanding over the experience you were expecting. As a business we're continuing to improve our workshops and service and comments good and bad are always useful to receive.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Went to an amazing party here as a token man for my female best friend's 30th birthday and actually had a great time and was certainly not expecting to! Very well looked after and lots and lots of fun. Highly recommended, particularly for the ladies! Lol.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had a Pant decorating party at Homemade in April 2012 - there were 18 or so Hens of various ages (and varying abilities!).
The venue is Fab (best if you are upstairs rather than downstairs).
Homemade supplied the knickers and all the possible decorative material you could need - Homemade also provided tea and cakes which went down a treat with the girls.
Was a really great sociable activity for a hen party with different groups of friends who don't know each other - everyone felt included and the atmosphere is lovely and relaxed.
The hostesses are always on hand with tips and ideas plus for extra help for those less handy with a needle and thread!
We were able to take our own Bubbly which is great for keeping the costs down when u need to - there is also a cute Brasserie 2 doors down for lunch/nibbles after - or for more takeaway wine :)
Best of all - the hens came away with their personalised pants to keep as a momento of the hen party!

1  Thank Joanne L
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We all had such a brilliant time making the garters and pants and they all turned out looking amazing!!! The workshop included sandwiches, cakes, tea and wine. Thanks to Homemade London for making the day so special.
Right from the start the Homemade London team has been so helpful, advising us on the perfect workshop right through the workshop itself where the gave us many tips and inspiration and helped whenever any help was needed. :)

1  Thank Laurienchen
Reviewed October 3, 2010

First impressions of Homemade London certainly don't disappoint. The shop itself is a beautiful treasure trove, that removes you from the hustle and bustle of Marble Arch. Nicola is the perfect hostess ushering me in and within moments I am being introduced to my fellow 'makers' for the evening and a delicious glass of bubbly is placed in my hand!
Fiona is extremely patient guiding us through the various stages creating our 'one off' vintage brooch.
I came away with a warm glow, having made lots of new friends, filled my belly and 'created' my own piece of designer jewelery - not many can say that of a night out in the capital! I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who's looking for somewhere special to get creative.

3  Thank PickSarah