“"That is NOT nice!!"”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Gregg's famous "OOOHH that is NICE!" comment on Masterchef doesn't ring true at this restaurant. We were there today for a family celebration. It was at 5pm so we didn't expect much of an atmosphere. We also didn't expect to be physically freezing either!! OK so it's December, but seriously, it was uncomfortably cold for the whole 2 1/2 hours. I spoke to the manager and he claimed that the heating was on "full blast". Hmm. Even the loo was freezing. They need to sort this out quickly, as it was really uncomfortable. Some of us had to wear coats and I kept my suit jacket on the whole time. The food was reasonably priced, and fairly average in quality. No real issues, but certainly not special either. There was very little atmosphere and warmth was lacking on all fronts; the heat and the general character. Just a bit soulless and it's not at all what I was expecting from the personality that Wallace portrays on screen. It was a last-minute choice of venue, and for 7 people it was £275 so it's priced very reasonably. Sadly, that wasn't the lasting memory. I won't forget thinking about putting a scarf on, or worrying about the comfort of the other guests around the table. Shame.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a huge fan of Greg Wallace and really looked forward to this meal. While the food was good the service was very poor. I had to keep attracting the waiters attention to get service despite the place being quiet. They even forgot altogether about one round of drinks. Declining a dessert I said that I would quite like some cheese....only to be told that they dont serve cheese !.......in a fashion probably blunter tyhan the cheese knife. Sad to say.....I will still enjoy the man but will avoid the restaurant.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Had a taste of the mushroom starter - lovely. Had salmon for my main, cooked to perfection, the catch of the day (haddock) looked lovely. The sticky toffee pudding was huge and looked great and the tart I had was fantastic. We left nothing on our plates. Service was excellent. I was an early diner so hardly anyone else in there but love the decor and layout. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

There's much to love about this place, the standard of ingredients is high, the choice of different salads is definitely a leading menu item and the display tables and seasonal promotions really imaginative and thoughtful. However, most of the staff seem to be disgruntled middle aged men who resent taking the general publics food orders. They consistently give me the impression they'd prefer to be 'managing' somewhere else than waiting on tables and who knows why? It's a noble and difficult skill to get right there's nothing to be ashamed of. The sachets of condiments are cheap. The toast racks with cold toast are an unnecessary homage to Bournemouth B&B circa 1975 and it could so easily be some hot granary with fresh butter instead of cheapo wholemeal and butter portions. The decor is twee. Just because you're in Putney it doesn't mean everyone is a yummy mummy and even if they are, they still don't like twee. Come on Greg, keep it simple! Get some doorstop granary bread, get a toaster and get some enthusiastic local younger waiters. Get some ketchup and some brown sauce. In bottles. In brand. Don't put them in poncy pots or swap those for Little Chef sachets, just leave em. It's fine! Coffee is superb. Cakes are smashing.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you are going to set yourself up to judge other peoples cooking on primetime BBC then you really should sort out your own restaurants offerings first. Gregg Wallace needs to sort this place out and quick! The food is average at best. I very rarely leave food on my plate and I left almost all my chips which says a lot!! Probably the toughest and chewiest steak I've had in a long long time- couldn't even cut it with a steak knife.Service was OKish but completely uninterested with a side order of attitude - I did try to have a word with the manager at the end of our meal but he had miraculously disappeared and no one could find him. The place was half empty on a Saturday night which is self explanatory. I certainly won't go back. Bill worked out at £55 per head so not cheap either.