“Standard maintained”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have been to Saravana Bhavan retaurants in India and Singapore, but this was my first visit to the Tooting outlet. I was favorably impressed by the food quality as well as the cheerful and efficient service. In fact, the service at Tooting surpasses those at other branches that I have visited.

The dosas were excellent, the vadas rather stodgy, and the coffee very good. Was disappointed that most of the dessert items available on the menu were not available at lunch.

There are newer reviews for Saravana Bhavan

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I went to the restaurant yesterday with my family and have been there a few times previously. Despite being a meat eater, I didn't mind so much at this restaurant as there was a great selection of vegetarian food to choose from. The food was brought to us really quickly and despite us making requests for various things not mentioned on the menu (such as halva and icecream) they still made the effort to do it for us. The staff were polite and extremely hard working. For the price you pay, you really can't complain. To be fair, it isn't one of the grander indian restaurants you would otherwise find within the more central areas of london but for the price i was paying I really couldn't ask for more. Mum and sis loved it hence they had been there the weekend before too! We ordered so much that we couldn't finish it but they gave us boxes to take the rest home- again this is not something I am often able to do in the restaurants I tend to eat in but it came as a genuinely nice surprise to be offered that option- plus they don't even add a service charge on the receipt- another great surprise!! (which is nice when you actually leave a tip knowing you actually wanted to, which we of course did as the service we received showed the staff deserved it!). I would recommend it if you are just wanting an easy, cheap, vegetarian meal.

1  Thank Tharini S
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Food good, you can watch the goings on in the kitchen. Found what I had that time (masala dosa) a bit salty.

1  Thank Electroburger
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've been to Saravanaa Bhavan in Delhi, Chennai and New Jersey, and this one was probably my least favorite, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the meal. It's more expensive here, obviously, and I don't remember being limited to just one poori per thali in the Indian branches, but the food was fresh, flavourful and plentiful. We were seated almost immediately (don't think that's happened to me before in one of these), and the staff seemed helpful enough if busy.

1  Thank Lissie87
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had Chana Batura today. I loved it, although the size of the chickpeas portion was modest. The dish consists of an enormous puffed up fried puri with delicious chana masala. Charge £3.50.
The restaurant does not display menus, nor make much effort to entice customers. The service can be very sloppy, but I persist in eating there.

1  Thank balhamvoter