“Really loved the food - can't understand other reviewers' negativity”
Review of Saravana Bhavan

Saravana Bhavan
Ranked #7,850 of 22,675 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
“Really loved the food - can't understand other reviewers' negativity”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Went to this quaint South Indian style cafe/restaurant with some Asian friends for lunch. We got there at around 1:30 pm and every single one of the tables was occupied with 3 or 4 people busily tucking in to the great food on offer (now does that sound like a terrible restaurant?).

It took around 10 minutes for a table to become free but we were soon sat down, reading the menu and my friends duly ordered for us. The technique we used was to order one or two dishes first, which were very promptly delivered and then order other dishes once the initial ones had been almost finished. It was a bit of a "tapas" style experience with all of us sharing what was brought out from the nearby kitchens. The food was simply superb - the dosas were delicious and everything we tried was first rate (nothing was ever too spicy and the hottest dipping sauce they had was only mild-medium). The options on the menu were vast - I think I counted over 20 styles of dosas. Sadly, we ate too much and had no room for the numerous deserts they also had on offer! Overall the food was light, non-greasy and exceedingly tasty! When we left at around 3pm the restaurant was still full!

What amazed me as a regular visitor of "British" Indian restaurants was that there was nothing on the menu that really I had ever seen before. I could not even tell you what we ordered and my biggest mistake was not taking pictures of what was brought out just to show you how wonderful the dishes looked.

There is also a ground floor dining area I believe but this was closed on the day.

If you are happy to put up with a busy, simple, cafe style dining experience with excellent South Indian food then this place is definitely worth a try. Cue terminator: "I'll be back..."

Likes: The simple, tasty food, informal atmosphere, prompt food service.
Dislikes: Soft drinks only ;-)

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank llyryo

London, United Kingdom
“hospitality”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

When I turned up at this place with a 3 month old in the buggy, I could see the hostility as soon as i walked in through the door. I was placed right at the entrance with the door constantly opening. I was then asked to take her out and place her on the table with all the hot food. I am going back to teach them how to treat new mothers with children. We are not in India here!!!

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank angela a
“Dampen your spirit -go to Saravana Bhavan”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went to this restaurant to have a simple meal. Ordered Gobi manchurian - they brought a green slimy concoction with tiny bits of cauliflower sticking in it. When we asked the waiter why it's like that and not tasting good too he started showing us the menu card but the menu card do not have pictures if it. So no idea why he did that.The next item onion Utappam( thick pancakes with onions) wasn't cooked thro . When asked about this the arrogant waiter , since we had tried it , commented to his colleague without realising We understood his native language) '' since they have started eating they better pay''. It was so degrading to listen to him saying these things . All in all a very bad and disgusting experience and one which helped make up my mind never to go there again. Saravana bhavan you have lost a valuable customer.

5 Thank FoodieUKim
london
“worst street in london”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

sure the food was fine and the staff were peasant but since they dont sell beer/wine etc...this was my girlfriends birthday party but i left early and she joined me in Soho House later..not for Christians, who like a drink with their curry.. and I've lived in london for 50 yrs and this was the worst street i've ever encountered

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank bernardcoughlan
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great food.”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very good food, paneer chilli, idli was very soft fresh.variety of food.prize ok good ambience, very good service. When ever I will to London, I will visit this restaurant at wimbly.

Visited September 2012