“Terrible to staff”

Soho Joe
Ranked #1,684 of 23,992 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Soho Joe is the product of a husband and wife team who both have more than twenty years experience in the catering industry. Open from early morning until late at night, Soho joe is an exciting new venture situated in the buzzing heart of Soho, serving a range of food and drinks at extremely affordable prices. All food is prepared daily on site so whether it be for a coffee made by one of their professionally trained barristas or a pizza made by one of their award winning pizzaiolos.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I have just been in to buy my lunch from Soho Joes only to see one of the poor serving girls try and have a glass of water (as there were no customers at that point), when the owner came up to her, grabbed the glass of water off her and threw it to the floor swearing at her to go back to serving customers! This lead to her walking out on him. Hardly an unreasonable thing to do (having a glass of water, not screaming and abusing his staff) given it is hotter than a sauna in there!

What an incredible lack of respect for his staff, especially as he is clearly too tight to put any sort of air conditioning in! Last time I will be going ther and suggest you all avoid it too unless you want to put money into his pocket (which clearly doesnt go to his staff)! Shame as I have bee a regular here! Has made me angry just to see someone be so unreasonable!

12  Thank andymc51

Reviewed June 2, 2014

A group of friends and I went to Soho Joes for dinner last week. There was a great atmosphere as it wasn't heaving with people but had a nice buzz. We reserved and were given a good large table, but was too close to the table behind me (we kept clashing chairs). We arrived early and wanted to buy a drink, and one of my friends was told they didn't accept card (?) and was directed outside to a cash point, which was slightly annoying for her. We had to order food at the bar, which wasn't a huge issue, but we did feel slightly abandoned by the staff - the only times I saw them was when they brought out the food, and then again to tell us we needed to vacate the table we had booked by 8:30. This didn't bother us, but didn't give off the friendliest of vibes.

The food itself is very reasonable for the area, I can't argue with that. The ingredients are fresh and you can definitely share one pizza between two! Each pizza was £10, regardless of what topping you picked. So obviously you are going to get much more for your money by ordering an extravagant pizza as opposed to a margarita. I chose the Bufalina pizza (pictured), which was tasty and definitely felt fresh and homemade, but I was overloaded with Basil leaves (which I ended up leaving) and the Mozzarella was cold and hadn't been melted into the pizza as I'd hoped. We also had a bottle of the house white wine (which was £18) - it was really sharp and not great at all. They do a good deal on double spirits and mixers for £6, which I wish I'd opted for.

We were very excited about visiting Soho Joes after reading all the great reviews, but ultimately I felt quite let down by the food and even more so by the service. I would not return to Soho Joes anytime soon.

1  Thank Verity-phillips
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place has a very chilled-out atmosphere and the pizzas were not only delicious but were excellent value for money (12 inches for £7). The pizzas have a nice thin crust base with plenty of toppings and are far better than what you get at other chain pizza restaurants. The menu was varied and included other Italian fare such as lasagne and cannelloni. The house red was pretty good too! Will definitely be returning.

1  Thank ColinSchnauzer
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Don't have enough words to express the quality of food that is served at Soho Joe. Only if I could go there more often than I actually do, completely my loss!
Just pick anything on that menu and it's bound to be superb, perfectly cooked and attention to details is very much evident.
Great atmosphere!!!

2  Thank Ganesh N
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We went as a family of five (my husband, parents and daughter) and arrived early for the dinner hour so found it to be quiet. It was a pretty miserable day weather wise and the staff were very welcoming when we came in feeling rather bedraggled. We ordered burgers and pizzas which were great. Really good value for being in the centre of London. Would definitely recommend.

3  Thank thebrowns3