“Believe the hype!”

Ranked #18 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Believe the hype!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had originally planned to take my girlfriend to The Savoy for Valentines weekend (having previously stayed there and loving it). However, after a quick review on TripAdvisor there were a few negative comments, and one person in particular loved The Corinthia. So, after a review of the comments on this hotel I booked. And I am really glad we did!
The hotel is truly brilliant.There was one slight issue - I had requested Champagne and Roses to be in the room on arrival. I e-mailed to confirm this would happen on the morning of our arrival and received a response confirming it was all in place. However when we arrived in the room - no roses!! Approximately 15 minutes after I sent an e-mail there was a knock on the door - a beautiful bunch of Red Roses which actually made it more of a surprise for my Girlfriend (who was already loving the room and champagne!). This was followed by a phone call apologising and advising I wouldn't be charged - so then I enjoyed the champagne too!! This was dealt with so well it did not spoil our experience at all.
On arrival we were told we had a free upgrade to an Executive King - the room was brilliant. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and so quiet. Heated floor in the bathroom is amazing, as is the shower, and TV in the bath. In my youth I was a lighting engineer for a number of bands/clubs so found the lighting controls for the room quite straightforward, however.....!!
On the morning of the second day we woke to see some filming happening across the road - Downton Abbey no less, so this was an added perk! In the evening we had cocktails in the Bassoon Bar - not cheap but very good and no more expensive than anywhere else of this ilk. This was followed by Dinner in The Northall. Food was excellent with great service - a very knowledgable Sommelier. One slight negative - I had been told there was only the Valentines Menu available (which was an excellent menu) but did notice other diners having another menu.
Breakfast served in the room each morning was very good.
I have never written such a long review, but this hotel deserves it. I sell Land Rover/Range Rover and this hotel had only a few days before been held up as an example of 5 Star Service that I am expected to supply to my customers, so I was extra critical. Even when things went ever so slightly wrong they handled everything really well.
Believe the hype and stay here you will not be disappointed. I certainly aim to stay here again.

Room Tip: We booked Deluxe King, but received a free upgrade to Executive. The rooms are so quiet doesn't...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graham C
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for posting a charming review of your Valentine's stay at Corinthia Hotel London. It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, and managed to experience many of the fabulous facilities that makes the hotel so very special. We appreciate your feedback, and are delighted that despite a few setbacks the team managed to restore your faith in the hotel at every opportunity. We can think of nowhere better to spend a weekend than in one of our beautifully appointed rooms, sipping Champagne, before dining in The Northall, enjoying live music and bespoke cocktails in Bassoon, then waking up the next morning to breakfast in bed. We are delighted that you and your girlfriend enjoyed a most memorable experience, and look forward to offering you a warm welcome on many more occasions to come.

Kind Regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I chose this hotel for celebrating my parents silver anniversary and it was a great decision. The hotel has large, high-ceiling beautiful common areas and an enormous italian restaurant. The Deluxe suite was great and we had a wonderful time at the hotel!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stuti D
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We feel very privileged that you chose to share your parents silver wedding anniversary with us. We are also delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and all of the party enjoyed their visit. We very much look forward to welcoming you and your family to celebrate many more special occasions to come.

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed February 13, 2014

It is not our first time at the Corinthia, we have stayed there several times. The hotel is really nice but we noticed that the quality decreased.
Our problems:
-no mobile connection in the rooms, we had to go to lobby/street to use our mobiles
-wifi connection gets disconnected frequently
-housekeeping problems: housekeeping took away dirty coffee cups, glasses, plates etc. but forgot to bring new ones...not a good surprise before your morning coffee. They left the windows open in the rooms so when we returned in the pm, it was freezing in the rooms. Not a nice surprise in winter with 5 degrees outside....I found dirty glasses next to the minibar in the cupboard that was left from a previous guest..disgusting! I saw greasy hair left on the hairdryer from another guest...I almost threw up.
I am very sensitive about these hygiene issues so I was unsure if the room was properly cleaned at all and I did not feel good staying in the room.
It is a shame because I think it is a beautiful hotel but I am afraid I will not come back for a while.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank florina598
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London and for bringing your concerns to our attention. I am very disappointed to read your reviews, and that we failed to live up to your expectations. I would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia London, please may I ask that you contact me directly, when I may personally address the issues you have raised.

Tokyo
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I had a priviledge to stay here. I always have been disappointed by London hotels since they are not value for money. The Corinthia is guranteeing what you get by what you pay. It is an expensive hotel but it worth it. But travellers are advised that this is not a business oriented hotel. There is no desk fit for work. Just relax and enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. The hotel has been designed to meet the needs of both the business and leisure guest, offering a range of exceptional amenities to meet the needs of the twenty-first century traveller, including complimentary Wi-Fi throughout, a dedicated Business Centre, all rooms have an multi-socket international power hubs, a selection of multi-lingual TV channels, and a large table that serves as both a desk and dining table. We very much appreciate your kind compliments and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I chose the Corinthia for a weekend away after scouring the internet for luxury hotels in London. It was my boyfriend's 30th birthday and I wanted it to be special. The second we arrived, I knew it was going to be that. The smartly dressed Concierge immediately assisted us out of the taxi, taking our bags, which reappeared in our room.

As you walk into the hotel you are greeted by high gloss floors, beautiful flower arrangements and gigantic chandeliers. It certainly has the wow factor. I never take much notice of photographs provided by management on Trip Advisor, as I worry that they are touched up or portray something better than the reality, but I can honestly say that even the photographs on the website of the Corinthia do not do this place justice. You simply have to visit to experience it for yourself.

At check in, we were informed that we had been given a complimentary room upgrade, before being offered a short tour of the hotel's restaurants and bars. The public areas are luxurious and clean. The hallways smell of new carpet.

The room itself consisted of a huge bed, a fitted wardrobe, a flat screen television, two arm chairs and a desk area. We had two small Juliet balconies opening out over the inner courtyard. The colour schemes are muted and pleasant. The bed sheets are of such high thread count that they feel like silk. The bathrobes are white and fluffy and replaced daily, as are the slippers.

We discovered a square birthday cake adorned with a macaroon and a small box of chocolates next to a handwritten welcome note, which was a very luxurious touch.

The bathroom was like a spa in itself. There was a small flat screen television at the end of the bath, two sinks and a separate walk in shower. The shower head was so large and powerful that I could have stayed in there all day. The products provided are produced by ESPA (the same as the spa) and smell divine. Most importantly, everything felt brand new. I don't usually take a bath in a hotel or like walking around in bare feet, but in the Corinthia I felt completely at home.

The service was also impeccable. We had brought a selection of DVDs only to discover that the room did not have a DVD player. We telephoned reception and they quickly attended to install one. The turn down service involved leaving a small selection of sweets on our pillows, which added some fun.

We visited the Massimo restaurant within the hotel for dinner and tried oysters for the first time. The staff were attentive but not overpowering, explaining the different types of oyster and where they are sourced. The ambience and lighting in the restaurant is perfect for romance.

We also visited the Bassoon Piano Bar for cocktails and live music. The cocktail menu is extensive and each cocktail is prepared like an art form. They are expensive, we spent around £70 for 4 drinks, but we wanted to have the full experience and it isn't something we would splash out on regularly. You are provided with a small stand of nibbles, such as nuts and olives, which are frequently replaced even when they are not yet finished!

The spa is like no other spa I have ever visited. Again, it is extremely clean and luxurious. There is a dark relaxation area with beautiful other-worldly light fittings. The sauna is a glass theatre in the middle of the spa. The Jacuzzi or Vitality Pool is spacious and equipped with internal lounging areas and spray jets. Cream leather sofas line the pool area on one side. I was a little apprehensive when I saw these in the photographs, thinking that by now they are probably grubby and a bit damp from the splashes of swimmers but I shouldn't have worried. They were immaculate.

So far this review has been glowing, but there were 3 areas that I thought fell slightly below perfection.

At breakfast (which is served in The Northall) and consists of a fantastic buffet and made to order selection, the bread was a white, shop bought loaf. For a hotel of this standard, I would have preferred a selection of rustic uncut loaves.

During our visit to the Bassoon bar there were a rather roudy group of Russian visitors, who were drinking excessively, dancing, arm wrestling and moving furniture. Bar staff and security monitored the situation and apologised to other visitors, but did not ask them to leave. Eventually, they spoilt the enjoyment for ourselves and another couple and we retired to our room. I can only assume that due to the amount of money they were spending, their custom was worth their chaos.

Lastly, we accidently left one of our DVDs in the DVD player. After realising this on arriving home I didn't bother to call or write it off as any great loss, but it would have been a real 5 star service and surprise if this had been returned to us in the post.

I have visited the Corinthia again but only for cocktails in the Bassoon bar, as I was with friends and desperate to show them why I couldn't stop talking about it. I would stay here every time I visited London if my budget would allow, but until the next special occasion I can only admire from afar and recall what a sanctuary it is.

I have one last thing to say before I finish my review and that is about me. When I read the positive reviews of others, I am concerned that their standards might not be as high as mine and so never completely believe a hotel or restaurant is great, until I see it for myself. Rest assured, I am a very harsh critic, uncompromising when it comes to hygiene, cleanliness, service and quality. And I promise you this, the Corinthia really is, absolutely exquisite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Plumsponge
Thank you for taking the time to post a glowing and extensive review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We are delighted that at every opportunity we were able to exceed your expectations, especially as the team takes great pride in our Craftsmanship of Care policy and training. We are also very pleased that during your stay you managed to experience so many of the excellent facilities that makes Corinthia London so very special, from the courteous greeting, to an upgraded room with beautiful Juliet balconies, the exceptional ESPA Life at Corinthia spa, the delicious Massimo Restaurant & Oyster Bar serving mouth-watering Italian food, bespoke cocktails in Bassoon, and the extensive buffet breakfast in The Northall, with a wide variety of food to please every palate. We were charmed to read that you have summed up all that is best about Corinthia London with the word "exquisite", it really does describe the experience perfectly. We only hope that you have another celebration coming up soon, as the team at Corinthia London can't wait to offer you a warm welcome on your return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Corinthia is located in an old government building, with immediate access to Charing Cross station, the Enbankment bridge for a breath taking view of the River/Big Ben/London Eye, and a 5 minute walk to Trafalgar Square. Since it only just opened in 2011, everything is spanking new.

Unlike a lot of hotels in London, the lobby at the Corinthia is full of light. Immediately I was greeted with a large table of flowers and a beautiful chandelier. Never really one for those gigantic bouquets, I thought having the flowers in multiple smaller vases were a nice modern touch. The lobby lounge is open and airy, thanks to the super high ceiling and modern decor. You can get afternoon tea here or casual bites. There’s an outdoor area if you prefer that.

I had a Deluxe Junior Suite, a large space of 700 sq ft. There’s an informal foyer leading into the office, which is separated from the bedroom (with a door). The office has a flat screen TV, mini bar, Nespresso machine and a large working desk. Perfect if you want to get some work done without disturbing whoever is in the bedroom.

The bedroom is a large open space, which you won’t find in too many London hotels since they tend to be smaller and more traditional in structure. The room features a gorgeous dark wood floor, a king size bed, LED tv, a sitting area, a cute Juliette balcony that overlooks the courtyard and a large walk-in closet with motion sensor lights. Marble bathroom has a relaxing soaking tub with built-in TV, tropical rain shower and luxurious bath products from their spa.

(When you book your room online, in addition to room photos, you can also see a floorplan and the actual size of the room. A feature I personally find helpful because hotels in Europe tend to have smaller rooms compare to the US)

Speaking of, I wasted no time to check out the spa and gym. The gym is 24 hours, but you do need to access it from the spa elevator after 10PM, with your room keycard. What I really liked about the gym was it had a fridge stocked with water and fresh oranges, an extremely rare find in London hotels.

The next day I headed to the spa, which spans over four floors: the spa, the thermal spa with heated pool, the gym and the changing rooms.The reception area is beautiful with plush seating and refreshments. There’s a small dining room if you want to eat. My therapist took me to the changing room, which had fireplace and relaxation area, a steam room, a sauna, a large shower room and of course, individual private ones. The individual massage room is also equipped with a relaxation area and a plush shower. My massage was so good I actually fell asleep.

I had breakfast every morning at the North Hall restaurant, which was MASSIVE. It spans over 3 huge rooms (I had no idea ‘til I was sat in different rooms every morning). The breakfast buffet was probably the best I’ve had in London. A huge variety of breakfast pastries, fresh juice, fruits and hot foods. It’s not cheap at 30 pounds a person (but this is where the Amex FHR comes in handy, complimentary! but in all honesty, I would pay 30 pounds to eat here every morning if I lived close enough), and there’s the option of ordering a la carte if you prefer that.

However, what really made my stay at the Corinthia hotel was the service. Someone walked me to my room, checked in with me twice during breakfast and she was also the one that sent me off at the end; the flowers in my room were changed everyday; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any in-room services; one evening I had complained about slow internet, which was no fault of the hotel (just busy aka slower on weekends). The hotel manager personally came out and made sure I wasn’t unhappy with my stay because of it. Of course not! I couldn’t be happier with my stay at the Corinthia and would absolutely recommend this fine hotel to anyone that is looking for a five star experience in London. I’m already plotting my next stay!

Ps, one thing that made a big impression on me was my welcome card. Usually I would get a generic typed letter, with the manager’s signature. But my note at the Corinthia was 100% written by hand. It’s the little things that matters most.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JJD82
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post an extensive review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We really enjoyed reading the detail, which conveyed the pleasure of your stay. We are delighted that you managed to experience so many of the excellent facilities the hotel has to offer, especially our award-winning ESPA Life at Corinthia spa, with twenty-four hour access to the Next Generation gym, a great boon for travellers who want to keep in their own time zone. The entrance to the hotel makes a magnificent first impression, especially the light-flooded Lobby Lounge with the iconic Baccarat chandelier. The buffet breakfast in The Northall has a wide variety of dishes to please every palate, from the healthy fruit, nuts, and cereals to a classic Full English, and now we offer Dim Sum as part of the selection too. Our Corinthia Hotel London website details all of the room types, and online booking couldn’t be simpler, just click the desired room and number of nights, or alternatively you can email our Reservations Department directly. We are always most pleased to read that our guests experienced exemplary customer service, we love to hear that the staff went above and beyond to exceed all of our client’s expectations, and in this instance it certainly sounds like they did. We very much appreciate you kind comments and compliments and look forward to welcoming you as a regular guest on many stays to come.

Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This hotel is stunning - probably one of the most beautiful hotels in London. But at a minimum of £400 per night, I was flabbergasted when asked to pay £25 for my morning swim. The reason I was given? ESPA is independent of the hotel. Well of course it is - most top hotels use ESPA, Elemis or some other established spa brand. But they do not charge hotel guests for use of their pools. If ESPA at Gleneagles don't charge then ESPA at Corinthia shouldn't charge either. If ESPA wants money from each guest that uses their pool then they should take this up with Corinthia and collect the money from them instead.

I swim every morning and every evening. My stay was for 4 nights. If my wife had been with me then I would have had £400 of swimming charges added to my bill. Completely outrageous. I declined the offer to pay £25 for 3 hours maximum in the pool and went to a nearby gym instead. One of the main reasons I chose the Corinthia was for it's thermal floor. I left the hotel feeling duped as the policy is nowhere to be seen on their website - nor is it mentioned on check-in. If Corinthia wants to be considered one of the finest hotels in London then it really must address this pay-as-you-swim charge. This is a 5-star hotel - not an easyjet flight.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
10 Thank Roryq M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We value every guest’s feedback as an opportunity to review and improve our standards of service. I am very disappointed that in this instance we failed to exceed your expectations. Please may I ask you to contact me personally, so that I may have the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia London and respond to you directly.