“Understated Opulence”

Ranked #19 of 1,088 Hotels in London
New York
“Understated Opulence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

My mom and I spent a girly week at the Corinthia and have not stopped talking about it since. The public areas are breathtakingly beautiful, yet contemporary. Our room (an executive twin) was supremely comfortable with plenty of space to move around in and two double beds.
We ate in Northall (where the lunch menu is a steal), Massimo, the Lobby Lounge and had drinks in Bassoon, and service throughout the hotel was friendly without being overly formal.
Room service arrives exactly on time and still warm, a feat for even much smaller hotels to pull off. Food throughout is very good, with the best assortment of breads I've ever had. Also, afternoon tea is not to be missed, nor is the blueberry eclair.
Of course, there were some minor issues, like a lack of wardrobe space for a week's worth of clothes, not enough English speaking TV channels (or DVD player) and in my humble opinion, Bassoon should really provide a food menu as well as a cocktail one, because, although their snacks are yummy, I would have loved to have a meal in there as well. But these complaints are only because everything else was so thoughtfully done, and I mean everything else, including the easiest check in and out I have ever experienced.
Location wise, it's terrific for the theatre, and in walking distance to Piccadilly. Taxis are plentiful in the area though, so it's not inconvenient to get where you need to go. Although, once you arrive at the hotel, you may not want to leave.
We've stayed in several 5 star properties in both London and New York, and The Corinthia puts all the others to shame, both in appearance and attitude.
Price wise, it is expensive. Very expensive. We booked a fantastic deal through American Express, but going forward, we've decided to compromise on our length of stay to enjoy the level of luxury the hotel and its restaurants provide.

Room Tip: We loved our courtyard room. Supremely quiet and with a view of the Bacarrat chandelier in the Lobb...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JujubeeNewYork
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I’m glad you got to experience the Corinthia London’s food and beverage offerings – both The Northall and Massimo Restaurant do a fantastically-priced lunch menu with a wide range of options for every taste. Our Room Service is actually an extension of the fine dining experience offered of The Northall restaurant and so I am pleased to hear that it was very good and arrived exactly on time. Our Afternoon Tea is certainly an experience not to be missed – I am glad you enjoyed our Blueberry Éclair, designed by well-regarded pastry chef, Claire Clark.

It is a shame that you were allocated a room with an average sized wardrobe as over 70% of our rooms have walk-in wardrobes, but thank you for this very useful feedback. I am pleased that you experienced the easiest check in and check out you have ever had (Corinthia London operates a flexible check-in and check-out policy meaning that our guests are not rushed to arrive and depart at expected times) as we believe this offering greatly enhances our guests’ relaxation and enjoyment.

As you highlighted, we are very centrally located and within walking distance to London’s theatre scene, as well as: Covent Garden, the Southbank, Westminster, the London Eye, Waterloo amongst other key London landmarks. Taxis can be found outside of the hotel and are plentiful in the surrounding area.

We are very happy to hear that our 5 star offering is surpassing expectations and even though prices at particular times of the year will reflect this, we do also offer experience packages that combine accommodation with restaurant offerings, spa treatments and, at times, special event tickets. These packages can be viewed on our website under ‘Offers and Packages’.

I do hope to welcome you back to Corinthia London again soon.

Matthew Dixon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fittleworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Lovely hotel everything is very clean and new,but you are charged for every little extra
eg..I had a very good hair wash and blow dry but when came to pay the £41 I HAD BE QUOTED had gone up to £65 plus vat and a cup of tea that i had been asked if i wanted was £5 plus vat!!! Also asked for some complimentary water in room and was £4.50 PER BOTTLE..........EVEN SPA TREATMENTS HAVE VAT ADDED ON AT END THIS IS NOT NORMAL....SHOULD BE INCLUSIVE PRICE.....
Also we went for breakfast and waited 15 minutes and where never served!!walked out great italian greasy spoon around the corner had scrambled egg and smoked salmon for the price of a cup of tea at corinthia........but it is a lovely hotel so if money no option go for it!!
One other complaint when go to spa from room in dressing gown had to walk across foyer...slightly embarassing..later found was another lift,,should have been told.

Room Tip: get a suite !!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angelina688
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your review – I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your wash and blow dry at Daniel Galvin at Corinthia, however, was naturally concerned about your feedback regarding additional costs. I have consulted with the salon and spa to ensure guests are more clearly informed about these costs beforehand. Having spoken to the spa, they have confirmed that all of their treatments are inclusive of VAT on the bill. The coffee, however, is exclusive of VAT. Further, I have also highlighted the importance of advising our guests on the best route to the spa – notably via the spa lift, which is accessible from every floor.

I was also concerned to read about your breakfast experience as we certainly do not wish to keep our guests waiting. I have shared your feedback with the restaurant manager as this helps him in his role ensuring the smooth running of service. Thank you for providing this feedback, it is only with our guests input that we can perfect our service and guests’ experience. We hope you will come to experience Corinthia London on another occasion in the future.

Kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Had a birthday weekend + Dinner plus drinks for 20 guests. Overall it was great restaurant staff were attentive but not necessarily responsive and forgot we had asked for drinks twice. They could also have replenished drinks quicker. They had been advised to inform when tabs hit particular levels but chose to ignore that.

All that said the surroundings and ambience of the Northall are not easily parallel led in London as the unique building has been matched with silatly tasteful interior decor.

Very classy and tasteful with value to be found if sought for.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback following your birthday celebrations at the Corinthia. I’m sorry to hear that the restaurant’s service that evening was not up to the usual standards we strive to provide our guests and I will be following up on the points you have raised.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed The Northall’s ambience and interiors and we hope to welcome you back to The Northall and to Corinthia Hotel London, in the future.

Darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend as a treat, but what a treat it was. The dinner, bed and breakfast package was great value and the food and service were outstanding. We had breakfast in the room, all served for us, and were upgraded to an Executive room which was large and lavish. All the details were there, this place is simply amazing. We felt like royalty.
A big thanks must go to Isobel Marcilla the Guest Relations Manager - she did an overwhelming job for us, and helped make it so special.
The ESPA was fantastic, so well designed and atmospheric. If you want to stay somewhere special in London, then don't look further.

Room Tip: Rooms with courtyard views are probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review – it is wonderful to be recommended as a special hotel to stay at. I’m glad you enjoyed our ‘Springtime Splendour Package’ & found the service to be outstanding. Our rooms are very spacious and some of the largest in London’s luxury hotel market; we’re glad you enjoyed all the details. Isabel will be delighted to hear this feedback and thank you very much for your kind comments. Our ESPA Life at Corinthia spa is certainly a very luxurious and atmospheric offering and I’m pleased you enjoyed it. We hope to welcome you to Corinthia London again soon.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I love everything about Corinthia. Very nice and helpful staff, well- equipped rooms, beautiful building, the best breakfast in London served in a stunning space, two amazing restaurants, and great spa. The place to stay in London at the moment. A head above the competition.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review – it is great to read that you recommend us so highly. I’m glad you enjoyed our spacious, well-equipped rooms and that you found the breakfast at The Northall restaurant to be the best in London. We hope to welcome you again soon.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by our stay here. We booked a 'top secret' lastminute deal and I hadn't heard of the hotel before. Communal areas are very elegant. Wonderful afternoon tea and dinner. Rooms not huge (even with upgrades) but well appointed.

Staff helpful. Well located although not in the Mayfair hotspot. Very expensive to stay here but some of the deals on their website are v attractive eg the low season dinner bed and breakfast option.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank likest0travel
I’m pleased to hear you had a pleasant first experience at Corinthia London and what a great way to be introduced to a new hotel.

I’m also glad to hear you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea in The Lobby Lounge – several of our teas are signature blends and our cakes have been designed by renowned pastry chef, Claire Clark, making it quite a unique experience.

As you mentioned, we are located away from Mayfair and are just a few minutes’ walk away from Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, The Strand, The Southbank and also Charing Cross Station, Westminster and London’s theatre scene.

We are glad to offer several packages on our website to encourage our guests to have a full experience of the hotel – such as a spa treatment or afternoon tea included in their stay. We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to Corinthia London.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

Clearly when you spend well over £200 for a room you expect it to be good and there are quite a few in this high-end 5 star category in London. After reading the other reviews on here I knew the Corinthia was going to be good but for an all-important anniversary weekend it had to be awesome. It was. The staff were the most polite and attentive I have ever encountered (this can be unnerving at first but you get used to it!), you have use of the incredible Espa Spa under the hotel and, because we had a room facing the courtyard, one of the quietest hotel rooms I have stayed in. We were upgraded to an Executive Room and had chocolates and fruit in the room. The room was spotless and had every luxury you could reasonably ask for, the bed was very comfortable and the Loewe LED TV was exactly what you'd expect. The real bonus is that you can check-in and out whenever you like and really allowed us to make the most of the hotel and its central location.

Room Tip: If it's a special occasion, tell them, they may upgrade your room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review, which I took great pleasure in reading. It is fantastic to hear that your expectations of Corinthia London were high and they were still surpassed.

We certainly strive for a team culture that attracts and inspires dedicated, passionate professionals - therefore I am very pleased to read that our team were the most polite and attentive you have encountered.

I’m glad you enjoyed our hotel spa – ESPA Life at Corinthia. The thermal floor is certainly a great experience and as it is included in all our guests’ stays – I would highly recommend reserving a few hours of your time to experience it. The ESPA Life gym is also very well equipped and open 24 hours a day.

I’m glad you experienced our Executive room offering and appreciated our flexible check-in / check-out policy, which encourages our guests to arrive and depart leisurely at whichever hour suits them.

I hope you had a wonderful anniversary and we hope to welcome you again in the future.