“Superb Hotel in Every Way - Questionable Ownership”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #14 of 1,069 Hotels in London
United States
“Superb Hotel in Every Way - Questionable Ownership”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Was asked to change my hotel by my corporate travel dept from my usual London business hotel, to the newly opened Corinthia. I questioned the ethics of saving money at the expense of putting profits in Ghadaffi's pocket (google the story), but I played along regardless, to be a good corporate soldier.

The hotel's ownership notwithstanding, its is absolutely superb - and I'm very picky. Public spaces are beautifully and very tastefully designed. The restaurant at breakfast was marvelous- very beautifully designed as well. New hotels usually have staff teething pains- this one does not (or I got lucky). Stayed for 5 nights- flawless service to an almost Asian standard, with employees who understand both graciousness and lexicon of discreet sophiscated service, and the tastes of global travelers.

The rooms were fantastic- excellent craftmenship in the bathrooms, the seamlessness of the hardwood floors meeting the carpets, the design, textures, colors of the room, layout of the closets, sophisticated lighting, flowers, silk wall behind the bed etc. There is even a small table outside the room, in the hall, by the room door where the newspaper is laid each morning (versus hanging from the door in a cheap made-in-China bag). Net net, the best hotel room I've stayed in when it comes to Europe, in some time.

Minor criticisms? Nothing that would constitue anything material. The bed was two twins with a connector to make it a seamless king- not my thing. The phone is too far set back from the bed. The curtain mechanics could have been constructed better. Catering to a global travel set, plug outlets for north american devices would have been helpful. Room was wired with in-wall speakers, but there was no wire to connect an ipod to it (I don't usually carry one with me), BBC 24 instead of BBC world....etc. But these are all very minor.

Not my preferred area of London, though the Embankment Tube station is very close by, which provides access to the West End via the Northern Line. Not easy to get a taxi at certain times. Beautiful period buildings, but too close to London tourist hell (with the consequent cheesy chain restaurants on the Strand etc.).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, provided the owners can come clean re how the shareholding works, and where the profits go. Other hotels, though, should take note of what taste really constitutes- this hotel is Exhibit A.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Globetrekker63
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
This is a review we should be very proud of and thank you very much for the very thorough way you explain the design, feel and offering of the hotel. We are looking at making the pulleys on the curtains easier to use and I was sorry you did not find the media hub which can accommodate three different types of international plug. We are providing iPod cables in all rooms free of charge now and we are placing them in all rooms. We have a much better taxi service now as we have completed a campaign reaching out to the 24,000 London taxi drivers. I am delighted that we are Exhibit A and we hope to remain there.

Matthew Dixon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I had the privilege of staying 4 days in the new Corintha for a company conference. It has been a great experience. The room is superb and very spacious. The location couldn't be better and the breakfast is stunning. The hotel is not cheap, but it is truly world class!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SanThom2000
I am delighted that we are in your opinion a truly world class hotel. It is a testament to the effort we have put into designing and building the hotel. Importantly though it shows that the team working in the hotel are bringing the building to life. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Warm Regards

London
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The Corinthia is a worthy addition to London’s competitive luxury hotel scene. Well located for the main tourist sites or the theatre, galleries, restaurants and museums in the West End and easy access to the Embankment Tube station next door, this is a new, spacious and beautifully decorated hotel. The room was large, nicely furnished with excellent amenities, and with big windows and a nice outlook. No dank gloomy rooms here. However, the mark of an excellent hotel must surely be the quality of its staff and their empowerment to respond appropriately to its customer’s request for service. Here, the employees are professional, knowledgeable and friendly, without being overly familiar. Restaurant staff are obviously highly trained and experienced professionals and not merely keen amateurs. I have not previously heard of this hotel chain, but based on my own recent experience, it is up there in the league of the Four Seasons, Aman, Mandarin Oriental and the Peninsula hotels. I highly recommend this hotel to London visitors.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank GlobalVenturer
I am absolutely delighted to be ranked in your opinion along with such other worthy hotel companies. We believe that the Corinthia offers London a very exciting and compelling new hotel that is of the highest quality. Your comments certainly reflect that and I have shared them with my team.

Warm Regards

Reviewed June 19, 2011

had drinks in the lobby bar and ate at massimo. This hotel is beautiful but even better is the staff who I think are the best in London. The food was great. This hotel is excellent. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wama_88
Thank you very much for this review. We will draw great encouragement from your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We enjoyed lunch at the Corinthia (The Northall) a quiet Sunday afternoon after having heard many great comments from friends in the hotel business. The hotel was airy and bright despite the unplesant rainy day outside - a true testament to the skill of the interior designer! The light interiors and fresh flowers immediately made you forget about the world outside - and we were quickly wisked off to the Northall restaurant to enjoy our lunch. The dining room with its soaring ceilings and pleasant colour scheme is still intimate with elegant tobacco coloured leather chairs and banquets. The staff was fantastic, and we were pleased to see that a high chair had already been arranged for our son. Service was effortless and natural, and the plesant staff made the lunch a true enjoyment. The Maitre d' was personable, and took the time to come by and chat at multiple occasions - exchanging pleasantries with our son who loved the attention. Several other members of staff asked our son for his name (he is 2 1/2) - and bid him farewell by name when leaving. This is the level of service that makes one happy to pay a premium for a great experience.

The meal itself was was flawlessly executed. The food was most enjoyable, and our Rib of Beef served with an excellent and succulent Grenache from Spain (recommendation of the sommelier) was a nice treat. Three of the diners, including the author, are seasoned hospitality professionals, and in a typical year we see and experience several hundred hotels. As such, we may be slightly more critical than your average guest - but we were all blown away by the genuine luxury experience. In fact, it would have been easy to just lounge away most of the day at the hotel amogst pleasant interiors and excellent staff.

Following our lunch we proceeded to tour the rooms of the hotel. While we were not staying as guests, the rooms were elegant and inviting - paying hommage to the historical nature of the building with classy and elegant furnishings. The devil is in the detail they say, and this is perhaps where the Corinthia has the most suprises for their guests.

While the Corinthia brand may be lesser know for the luxury traveller - the quality of the hotel and staff should give the London luxury scene a serious run for their money. This is not stuffy London luxury, but a fresh breath for the contemporary luxury traveller. Well done and hope this hotel will achieve its rightful place in the London luxury scene.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank modusvivendi
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Just stayed on a recent trip for business. The standard rooms are as large as suites in other hotels and with all the amenities. This is my new favorite hotel in London

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Brian P
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
12th May 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your shining review of Corinthia London. It is pleasing to know you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable rooms – they were designed with these key qualities in mind.
We are delighted to be your new favourite hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards
Reviewed May 6, 2011

After having seen Corinthia London's photos (mostly computer generated) online, I was impressed enough to make a booking for afternoon tea. Being a new hotel, I was curious to see how their tea experience would compare to the long standing hotels: Claridges, Ritz, Dorchester and Lanesborough (The Big Four).

The hotel is right next to Trafalgar Square and Embankment Tube - easy access to Westminster, the West End and Buckingham Palace. St James Park is not far and the street itself, Whitehall Place is lovely and quiet.

Inside, the lobby is elegant. Clear vases of white arum lilies were scattered throughout the hotel.

Afternoon tea is served in the Lobby Lounge which is in between the hotel’s two main entrances. Personally, like the big 4, I would have carpeted the floor in the LL to distinguish itself from the surrounding spaces. The feel of the LL is very similar to Apsleys at The Lanesborough due to its sky light & chandelier, but with less formal table settings. The decor is very polished, with natural light flooding from above. There are plans to open a side garden courtyard which will be a unique, welcomed feature.

Despite a few problems with our reservation confirmation, this was soon made up by a personal apology from the LL Assistant Manager, Mr. Carmine, who continued to serve us. This was an excellent touch and he couldn't do enough to make this a positive and lasting experience for us.

I was seriously impressive by the scones here. The cakes were nice too, as I find most hotel afternoon tea cakes look the part but taste bland. Not so here. The scones were perfectly formed, just warm and ever so crumbly yet stable enough to hold in your hand before gorging away at them. Inside, they were so fluffy, better, dare I say than Claridges which, up until now, served the best scones (Savoy’s were surprisingly large and chewy).

The selection of tea was average, not monstrous like the big 4 but of high quality. This was fine for us but for those who are serious about their tea selection, may demand more. My only concern when (not if) I visit again will be the seating arrangements. Like the Promenade in The Dorchester, the LL’s table settings demand customers to share the same sofa as your stranger neighbour, and some tables were 10cm away from the next, neither which I am not a fan off. There are separate tables for you and your co, if so desired, which we had on this occasion, so do request this at time of booking. I did pass on feedback regarding the music they were playing from the speakers, which included Bob Dylon. I don’t mind not having a live harpist or pianist playing during tea like the big 4 but tourists or even Londoners on a grand day out might expect this. I suggested they play classical music – it’s a safe bet. For me, good scones beat live pianists. All the other fine details I look for in an Afternoon tea experience were met.

Afterwards, I requested a tour of the guestrooms which also included the two restaurants and bar - all stunning, particularly the the Massimo restaurant and the fireplace in the Bassoon bar. The hotel is not finished, but I wouldn't let this put you off staying here. I noticed plenty of security. The guest rooms were cosy, modern yet stately in decor. Rooms have a city view or Juliet balcony (my preference), which reminded me of Paris. Homely touches avoid this from being a ‘corporate hotel', which given it's location, could easily have been. The bathrooms are big and all have a window. Unfortunately the spa was unfinished so we were unable to view it – but it will be ESPA’s global flagship spa, again with impressive CG images so no doubt I’ll try this when it opens.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms have huge walk in wardrobes
  • Stayed May 2011
10 Thank Iheartlux
MathewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments which were warmly received, comments I will of course share with my team. We are delighted to read your words of encouragement, especially in these early days of opening.
I am pleased to say that carpets for the lobby area have since arrived and have been fitted which has indeed enhanced the look and feel of the space. Your point regarding the seating arrangements is in fact something we ourselves have been considering and would hope to resolve before your next visit.
It is encouraging to hear that you found our food and service standards match that of other leading London hotels. For your information, our afternoon tea has been created in collaboration with celebrated Pastry Chef Clare Clarke.
We appreciate your comments regarding the music style, however we felt the need to move away from the norm and are proud to be the first hotel in the UK to work with La Musique du Faubourg who have provided an original and eclectic music selection for all public areas.
Once again, thank you for your support. Without your considered comments, we are unable to measure our service.
We look forward to extending a warm welcome again very soon.