“Best English breakfast I've ever had!”
Review of Terry's Cafe

Terry's Cafe
Ranked #712 of 22,675 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: If you’re looking for a Michelin-star restaurant you’re in the wrong place. Terry’s Cafe is a diamond in the rough. In an area now saturated with chains and soulless cheap snacks we’re proud to have achieved TripAdvisor’s 5-star rating and Certificate of Excellence for two years running. We offer good, affordable, locally sourced produce. And with our ever-increasing takeaway menu you can walk away with your lunch for a fiver. Our story: Terry came from a modest family of cooks. His dad was a chef in the army and his mum a pastry cook, so naturally he grew up around food. Born and raised in South London — all his family were from the Borough — where bomb sites were the playgrounds of his generation. Like most working class families in London, summer holidays were spent working on hop farms around Kent, pulling down vines for the local breweries. During the war he was evacuated to Folkestone, where he lived with an Army major and his wife. After the bombs stopped falling, Terry was reunited with the major on a trip down memory lane which resulted in his ownership of two pigs. This quickly turned into a smallholding two thousand pigs. (Promise we’re not telling porkies.) Learning the trade: At 17, Terry got a job at Smithfield Meat Market, where he learnt his trade in all aspects of butchery. But after a long career in the market, he decided it was time for a change of direction in order to spend some time with his young family. In 1982 he opened what is now known as Terry’s Cafe. With his extensive product knowledge, cooking and butchering skills, he produced wonderful home-cooked food using the resources from Smithfield and Borough markets nearby. South London ambassador: During his life, Terry was an ambassador for the local community. He passed on his values and experience to his son, Austin, who was named after Austin’s of Peckham, a former antiques shop on Rye Lane. Terry even got a discount on antiques for promoting the name. Austin has worked in Terry’s since becoming a Saturday boy at the age of 14. Now in his thirties, he plans to move forward with his dad’s winning formula and continue to promote traditional values and British culture in a positive fashion. Terry’s Tea Drink tea for Victory -World peace & positivity Have you seen the news lately? It seems like every day there’s another war, scandal or natural disaster. Just thinking about it would make your head spin. While you’re at Terry’s, we’d like to encourage you to pause for thought and meditate over a cup of your favourite brew. It’ll help you put things in perspective and appreciate the wonderful world we live in. The only London caff with it's own blend of tea. London’s noted cup of tea was the result of a research trip to Sri Lanka and India that was more about self-discovery than tea discovery. But the people at Terry’s are no stranger to a decent cup of tea. The distinctive flavour and soothing effect of these teas were hard to ignore. And soon they were on a boat to London to be sold exclusively at Terry’s. Terry's Tea : London's noted cup of tea since 1982 , pure unblended , fully traceable ceylon tea , available in store and on the Terry's cafe website . Available in English Breakfast (Cylon Black ) . Earl Grey . Green tea & Jasmine . Chamomile .London's morning pride coming soon . SUMMER NOTICE :Please note we will be closed on Saturdays for the the month of August only . Return to a normal work Schedule in September
Wittlich, Germany
“Best English breakfast I've ever had!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you're looking for a full English breakfast while you're in London like I was, then just go to Terry's Cafe. I had The Works, which I highly recommend if you want a little taste of everything (plus you can't beat the price). Also, they serve Monmouth coffee which is absolutely phenomenal...I literally couldn't stop drinking it. I think the best aspect of Terry's Cafe, though, is that it's still very much a neighborhood institution. I went fairly early on Monday morning, and besides me, the waiter knew almost everyone by name as they came in to order. It's on a quiet street, unpretentious, cheap, and the food is so delicious - basically the ideal breakfast cafe.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ebiggers

• Polish first
durham
“Absolutely Fantastic.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

First visited Terrys after seeing reviews on Trip advisor.I was not disappointed.This is a fantastic little cafe serving really delicious food.Have visited on 3 occasions and had the works for breakfast each time.These were the best breakfasts that I have had.They were really huge and the quality of the food was superb.They really set you up for the rest of the day.The staff are really friendly and the atmosphere is great, with trad jazz playing in the background, and a great mixture of customers.If anyone is staying in the London Bridge or South Bank area, give your hotel breakfast a miss,and go to Terrys,and enjoy really superb food.

Aberdeen
“Amazing breakfast - best hangover cure ever!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I went here for breakfast on Saturday morning. We ordered 2 'Blowouts'. What can I say?!! I had a queasy tummy from the night before but, after a few mouthfuls of Terry's lovely 'bubble & squeak' I was right as rain! The breakfast here is legendary and it is so good I will visit every single time I am in London. The food is fresh, tasty and if it's a nice day, you can sit outside. The staff are very attentive and genuine. The best London café ever!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Just like mum cooked, but much much better,”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Its a regular thing when were at the training centre that a group of us try and get into Terry's cafe before the rush. Although we might only go two or three times in as many months were treated like regulars, theres always a bit of banter which was tradition back in the day, and carried on with Austin. He runs a tight ship in there and has a total grip during the busy times actually quite a feat to witness. So im in there with a group of six of us first time for a few weeks and after a no nonsence dinner inside me im up to pay, Austin only goes and thanks me by name, my mates use my nickname but that showed so much about the man i had to write it somewhere. oh, i had the most outrageously good steak and stilton pie with all the trimmings. And a slab of bread pudding to slip into my bag for later.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Great way to start the day!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went to Terry's Cafe on Saturday morning having read lots of good things. Really enjoyed the experience, the food was excellent and the cafe had a really nice atmosphere to it. Cup of coffee for 60p as well!