“Great location, cheap price - Yes!”

Hostel Strand Continental
Ranked #360 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reykjavik
“Great location, cheap price - Yes!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

I went to London with a group of 28 students (age 17-22) and I needed an accomodation near Covent Garden but with cheap price. I found Hotel Strand Contintenal and it provided exactly that. Also the staff was very helpful with everything.
The beds were clean and on each floor there is a shower and wc. The lounge room on first floor we could use free wi-fi and have our group meetings. This fantastic location made it possible for us to skip using the tube, we walked everywhere. We will definitely stay there again next year.
But...for family people or people looking for high cleanliness and rooms with space maybe this is not the first choice. Also there are a lot of stairs so if you have bad feets then at least make sure you have a room on the lowest floor.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Larpera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed for a total of 3 hours. Ordered a family room. No tv or toilets in room. Not even a shower so made to feel dirty like the hotel. Strong smell of cat pee and the carpets filthy. Chips in the mugs I really would not recommend this HOSTEL. A common indian restaurant open to the public whilst you are there. No lifts, seedy cheap and overall a complete waste of money

Room Tip: Don't stay here in unclean living conditions
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Nat187050

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I needed a cheap one night accommodation in Central London. I did not require much more than a bed to get a little bit of sleep and a bathroom to wash my face. I found the Strand Continental as it had the most convenient location in the very centre of London. After reading the awful reviews I searched some other hostels but they had equally horrible reviews. I then decided that I would go for it and have the most horrible hostel experience in my life so that I can stay away from hostels from then on. I even chose a three-bed dorm.

To my suprise, it was not as bad. I got a good night sleep, did not get robbed by flatmates and the toilets and washbasins were not revolting.

Although £25 appears to me as a slightly higher price than what I would pay for this, it is probably understandable given the location.

So my experince showed me that it is okay to stay in cheap hostels as long as you have reasonable expectations. That is a bed and usable bathroom. I realize that much of one's experience depends on what people you share a room with. I was lucky to share a room with two fine young people. But then I believe you must get really unlucky to share a room with a person that acts unapropriately as most of the hostel-travellers are just humble students.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank jkl-cz
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

The room I stayed in was filthy. The linen was used and it smelt revolting. I have never experienced such dreadful living conditions and have taken photos as proof.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

I was not shure this would be a good experience because of the reviews on this site and the low price. But I was suprized by the nice staff, clean toilets and showers and a very acceptable room.

If you want something cheap in central London this is a very good option. You have to put on your own sheets, but for the price you get more than you pay for.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank olebjarne
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

We paid around £80 for this hotel, which although is not a lot for central London, I was expecting a slightly better place!
Pros: The room was generally clean (bedding, sink etc.) although carpets were filthy!
The location is excellent.
Cons: Beds were terrible with springs sticking through. Kettle was there but no plug anywhere near the cupboards etc so had to hold kettle whilst it boiled over the bed! (plug by bed). Walls like paper - could hear people in next room talking and doors have a very noisy bang when they shut! Breakfast v minimal in fact just 1 slice of toast there when we went down (decided to go out!)/
Would NOT stay here again as could probably find somewhere else for a little bit more money, that's a million times better!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

For the money I wasn't expecting four star accomodation but what we did get was absolutely appalling the room was 5+ floors away with no lift so you needed to be athlete fit to reach your room on arrival we were given bedding so that we could make our own bed (obviously no chamber maids) The beds were awful as was the shared bathrooms The room was dire with curtains that would have been better to be absent rather than hanging on by a couple of hooks looking like blankets thrown up at the window . The previos occupants of the room had more facilities laid on as we found traps for cockroaches under the beds. All in all should have gone elsewhere but would have lost deposit which should have been refundable on the grounds of false advertising.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends