“Great Food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cantina Laredo

Cantina Laredo
Ranked #432 of 22,199 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, South American, Central American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Cantina Laredo offers something completely new, a sophisticated approach to traditional Mexican cuisine. Our ethos at Cantina Laredo is to blend old with new by using contemporary and traditional techniques to bring a modern twist to the authentic flavours from all regions of Mexico. The menu is a culinary exploration of Mexico's regional cuisines in search of Mexico's most incredible flavours. Traditional and contemporary techniques combine to produce an intriguing menu that pays homage to authentic Mexican flavours. Emphasis is on the bold and intense flavours with simple presentation using high quality ingredients. Dishes are authentic, but not traditional with a modern approach to recreate classic dishes and invent new ones. The menu has been designed to create a sophisticated, yet informal and relaxed dining experience. There is no set procedure on ordering, dishes are designed to be shared at the table or enjoyed individually.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Being from Texas I'd like to think I know good Mexican food from bad. If so this place is a keeper. Their guacamole is prepared at the table and is good as anything I have come across.

I go to London frequently and will visit this one as much as I can. :-)

Visited July 2013

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - Anniversary meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went on a lovely warm weekend evening, two days ago. It seemed that the whole area was buzzing -except here.... However, we continued as had booked it and we were going on recommendations / previous reviews we had read. It was our Anniversary.

The food was 'ok'. But we thought a little over priced for what we got. Food was nothing special. The Top Shelf Guacamole was nice. But very easy to make/recreate yourself at home. The secret is to have perfectly ripe avocados.
As for the platter we had - we have made equally good Mexican food at home.
But the real let down was the lack of ambience. Little music. No buzz. No vibe. We found ourselves wondering 'is this really the right place?'.
It was our anniversary. So was expecting something special. We even left a message with our booking. In previous years, restaurants made that extra little effort - sometimes a complimentary glass of fizz and special attention to detail. Just a special touch.

But not here: Shown to table. Order taken. Delivered. Left to ourselves. Paid bill. We left.....

There was a big party in the back room, which I think perhaps may got more attention than we did - but it seems there are 2 distinct areas to the restaurant.

On way back to the hotel we passed through an area of Trafalgar square - wow what a buzz!

Laredo's....just don't seem to have their finger on the pulse. In the restaurant it didn't feel like any of the customers were having a great time or enjoying themselves. Very quiet and 'contained'.
The staff didn't really come across as happy or wanting to be there either. Nothing was special or memorable. Is it normal to add 12.5% service when you have only quickly seen the waitress twice?
Sorry. We were just not impressed. Will try somewhere else next year.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Excellent Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My fiancee and I ate here yesterday before heading to a gig at Somerset House. The mexican food was very good and reasonably priced. Next level up on cost from Wahaca, but also next level up on the quality of the food.

Can highly recommend the guacamole which is made in front of you at your table. Would recommend to anyone thinking of eating at this restuarant.

Morden, United Kingdom
“Wonderful anniversary meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We celebrated our anniversary with a wonderful meal at Cantina Laredo. Everything was perfect. The service was friendly and enthusiastic without being intrusive. It was a hot evening, so we started with non-alcoholic cocktails, which were imaginative and delicious. The guacamole prepared at the table was fantastic and well worth its reputation. My husband's Cascabel Ribeye was cooked to perfection and my Enchiladas de Mole were like heaven on a plate. The sizzling apple pie and tequila lime cheesecake were both scrumptious, and we had a carafe of delectable malbec to accompany the meal. Seriously good meal on every level!

London
“Let's just hope London doesn't pervert this one too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We all know the story too well.
You find a nice restaurant that you've never been to, you go in, just by chance and boom, all of a sudden you are in heaven, the food is amazing, the service brilliant and the price, just the right one...
Then, a few months later, you decide to repeat. And you find out the sad reality of London and its restaurants. It gets corrupted, the owner gets greedy, the service quality drops and the food... well you just wish you had never had ordered that food.
That's London. Restaurants know too well that after you there is another customer and another and another... Specially in tourist places.
Cantina Laredo is at that early stage that makes everything about it fantastic.
At first I couldn't put my finger on what it was... there was something familiar, yet foreign in the restaurant. Suddenly it dawned on me... decoration, service, food quantity and quality... It's American.
You have to give it to them. When it comes to make mass consumed food, Americans know how to do it. Think of The Cheesecake factory experience, clean, generous portions and just the right quality on the ingredients.
I'm Spanish and I love food and I love above all, very good food.
The bar in London is soooooooooo low when it comes to quality, quantity and service that an average American is like being in paradise, a real Spanish high quality place for a reasonable price would be Valhalla's gates opening for people, it just simply doesn't exist here.
So Cantina Laredo is that beautiful American experience that we all deserve but just a few have decided to give us in London.

The service is perfect, they are there but they are not, they all smile but they don't get in your life, they keep an eye on your table and make it look almost like magic.

The food... well, the spectacular display of the Guacamole freshly prepared at your table makes the visit worth, only if it's for that. Apart from that, the Burrito with Poblano sauce (if I don't remember bad) it's just fantastic, my wife had the Seafood tacos and they were just stunning. Let's not get confused, this is Mexican food that is normally sold at stands in Mexico DF, this is street food, but carefully crafted and beautifully presented. I'm in for that trip!

The wines were reasonable too (something strange in London again)
I didn't have a dessert but they all looked fantastic and I saw them preparing them at the table, again another very nice touch.

The place was welcoming, it looks a bit too posh for your average dirty, unprepared London hole and that might be something that scares new arrivals, don't be scared, be adventurous, go in and enjoy it.
The atmosphere was quiet (it was a week day lunch time, so nothing weird there) and the place was CLEAN! not clean as in London standards, it was really CLEAN, immaculate, sparkling clean! I love that, there was a nice soft scent of lime and mint from the Mojitos they are preparing that makes it feel even cleaner.

I just can't wait for the next time I can go and bring some friends with me.

Let's just hope London doesn't corrupt and pervert this one too... fingers crossed and napkin knotted.

Thanks for reading.