“Magical Hotel. Magical Host.”
Review of 40 Winks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
40 Winks
Ranked #5 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

From the moment I arrived, David was charming, kind and generous. He greeted me at the door and immediately offered me a warm cup of tea. Guest need to take their shoes off at the front door, such a respectful Japanese sensibility. I immediately felt at home.

The hotel is stunning and so wonderfully unique and quirky. If you appreciate charming conversation, an insightful guide to London, luxurious accommodations (the softest sheets and most confortable bed!), and a getaway from cookie-cutter hotels, then 40 Winks is for you. I stayed three nights and enjoyed every moment of it.

David even took the time to show me and the other guest around Brick Lane and Columbia Road on a beautiful Sunday. It was like visiting an old friend. I recommend 40 Winks completely. And, can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vynsie
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Hi Vynsie,

It was an absolute pleasure having you here. Hope you got back home safely.

Look forward to seeing you back here again soon.

All best,

There are newer reviews for 40 Winks

Reviewed May 22, 2013

There are many stylish design hotels in the world, but 40winks is peerless! It is full of wonderful things I have never seen before,,,,,,, sofa, chairs, tables,,,, ornaments,,, everything is amazing and harmony is perfect. Even just to look really fun!! There is no cutting corner but very at home. During stay, I often read a book with tea sitting on different beautiful and comfortable sofa or chairs in the living room. I was completely relaxed and spent a luxurious and happy time.
Moreover the bathroom is sooooo marvelous. Not only bathtub with lion faucet but also its gold wall with bird drawing is very lovely. Gold but not gorgeous, a little bit Asian mode. Anyway it is really good sense.
Its host, Mr. Cater is cool, nice and charming gentleman. He himself served breakfast and it was also very nice time to talk with him.
Everything there, fantastic elegant people, space, atmosphere and things, always makes me happy. I’m really a fun of 40winks and repeater.
Location is also good, metro station in 5 min. Especially near Shoreditch where there are a lot of cool and fashionable shops, restaurants and bars. My favorite area in London.

唯一無二!!
もともと飽きっぽいので、どこかいく時は、基本的に、毎回違うホテル、行った所のない所に行くのですが。。。でもここは別格!!すっかりリピーターに。 オーナーさんがインテリアデザイナーの方で、ほんと、さすが!! 置いてある一個一個の家具、オブジェ、家の中、全部、見たことないものばっかり!!見てるだけでテンション上昇。これ、かわいいーー、これ、かわいいーと毎日連発してました。。。
椅子とか、ソファーとかがほんとに素敵で、毎日違う所に座って、読書するのが日課になってました。(common space が 何部屋かあるので、今日はこっちの椅子、午後はこっちのソファー、、とか、いいながら、、あーー楽しい!!!)なんて贅沢な時間なのでしょう!!
素敵なお部屋って、そこでお茶してるだけで幸せな気分になる。2組しか泊まれないから、ほんとにアットホームで、毎回とっても寛がせていただいています。
高級ホテルや、デザイナーホテル、おしゃれなホテルって世界中にいっぱいあるけれど、ここは、無二!! オーナーのCaterさんもとっても、品が良くって知的で気さく。
また立地もeast London で Shoredich(東京の代官山とか神宮とかみたいなとこで、かわいいお店バーとかいっぱいある)とか近いので、買い物したり、夜はいつもそこで、食べたり、飲んだり。中心街のボンドストリートとかもいいけど、個人的には、こっちが好き。

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you so much for the charming account of your stay here...

Hope to see you back here again very soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My mum has an amazing ability to book unique experiences as presents for people. This Christmas she booked a night at Forty Winks as a gift for me and my boyfriend. I don't know how she discovered this incredible boutique hotel but she's going to have trouble topping this present next year. After spending the day around London we knocked on the door early evening and were greeted by David who showed us to our room. The house is simply stunning; every single item in it has been carefully thought about and chosen with a specific purpose and atmosphere in mind. Our room was beautiful and exciting and thrilling and evocative and dreamy and welcoming all wrapped up in one. We had decided to stay the same night as 'Bedtime Stories' which is a night David puts on monthly. You are required to turn up in your pyjamas and after some delicious gin cocktails a story teller comes to entertain you all. It was a nostalgic and witty experience with David as the dashing host making sure you are all having a fabulous time.
The next morning we had breakfast with David and he told us about why he had started 40 Winks and what the house means to him. It was incredibly refreshing having such an interesting honest chat over coffee and we left the house we renewed purpose and a spring in our step.

I highly recommend a night at Forty Winks for anyone who wants to experience something real and bespoke and unforgettable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice B
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely review!!! Great to meet you and John. Hope to see tou both again soon.

Best,

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I haven't stayed at 40 Winks, just made an enquiry about the tarrif, as I am looking for a special birthday treat for two very special friends. His reply was warm, informative and concerned to make sure that it would be suitable for them - given the details I provided him with. Thank you, thank you. No wonder you have such positive reviews, the photographs on the website are stunning and I am sure that the reality is even more wonderful... I am not sure whether my friends will be able to visit, but I wish David continuing sucess with his business.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlorenceScholar
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Gosh.... very sweet of you to write!!! We do always try to make sure that we are as helpful as possible when guests contact us about booking here, particularly if they are booking a stay as a gift for friends or family.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I live in East London, but I went to 40 winks for a little holiday. I had arranged a surprise for my girlfriend, who only had the address of 40 winks, and no other information. I went earlier in the day to meet David and we talked so much I completely forgot time. David is a gentleman and he has created a wonderful place. David later greeted a rather surprised young lady at the door and was the perfect surprise host. He poured the champagne and provided a wonderful ice bucket in the shape of a top hat. It is a comfort and a joy to know that there are still people like David who delight in the exuberance of life. Its a special place I am looking forward to hearing more of his stories soon. Thanks again David, I take my hat off to you sir.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the lovely review!!! A pleasure having you both here... hope to see you back again very soon. Have a great weekend.

All best,

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Visitors don't "stay" at 40 winks, they experience it. I went to London to escape the monotony of daily work and life. I wanted intimate experiences where I could connect with new people, creative atmospheres where I could feel recharged and, if possible, a decadent night's sleep.

I had all of those experiences at 40 winks and more. Not only did I have record breaking night's sleep in a luxurious bed, David was a perfect host and told me of other hidden gems in East London. (I even joined him on a quick shopping trip to Spitalfields Market in search of antiques and treasures!) Every corner of 40 winks has details that excite and inspire. I left feeling recharged, reengaged and well-rested. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Morathompson
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Hi Mora,

It was an absolute pleasure to have you here!!

Do hope everything goes well with your big move, and hope to see you back here again soon.

All the very best,

Reviewed March 28, 2013

40 Winks truly deserves what magazines write about it. It is London's loveliest boutique hotel and probably one of the most outstanding and beautiful small hotels I have stayed in. I planned a very different and unique surprise for my girlfriend (now fiance) and 40 Winks fully delivered my expectations. Almost hidden like a treasure and very inconspicuously situated on Mile End Road you dive into a different world as soon as you enter the hotel. It is truly a wonderland in itself with an oustanding interioir design. You find something beautiful to look at in every corner. Mr. Carter added to the whole experience with his quirky East London charme. If you are out for a standard 5 start hotel experience than you are wrong at this place. But if you want something unique and definitely an unforgettable experience, than 40 Winks won't disappoint you. Thanks Mr Carter for making my first night as an engaged couple the perfect adventure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ralphmooh
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Hi Ralph,

What a lovely review!!! Thank you so much for that, and look forward to seeing you both back again soon.

Mr Carter