“Gorgeous, inspiring, mind opening”
Review of 40 Winks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
40 Winks
Ranked #5 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

A challenge it was to arrange our trip to London around the availabilities in 40winks. And worth every effort.
We felt enchanted by the breathtaking mixture of colors, textures and extraordinary decorations. Every room has its own atmosphere and feeling. I personally loved the lying in the bathtub surrounded by birds on golden wallpaper, I enjoyed the opium den wallowing in pleasure about its promising temptations.
Davids warm hospitality the short but inspiring and mind opening conversations revealed his charming character of what for me is an eccentric English gentlemen.
This magical place felt like a fairytale wonderland. Especially for my 11-year old Harry-Potter-fan daughter. In his beautiful, exquisite home David owns a wand. What more can you say?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bitzi K
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Hi darling,

It was an absolute treat having you and your daughter here. Hope to see you back here again very soon, or perhaps in Vienna.

Lots of love,

There are newer reviews for 40 Winks

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having read about 40 Winks in a magazine, I decided to try the experience. What a treat! David Carter is the perfect host, giving you advice on everything from getting around and where to eat. David Carter's home is absolutely wonderful. Each room has its own feel and experience. I could easily spend hours just looking at all the beautiful things in his house. No wonder this small hotel has received so much praise. It is located in the vibrant East London with easy access to the tube station, so if you want a different and unique experience while staying in London, this is the place to visit. I sure hope to come back one day.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Annette J
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you so much for the lovely review!! Lovely to meet you, and hope to see you back here again very soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I read about David's 40 Winks in a magazine over 2 years ago, and fell in love with the photos of his beautiful home. I ripped that page out and saved it, hoping to visit one day. That day finally came last weekend, as a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. David is the most wonderful host - full of wit, warmth and wisdom. His home is like stepping into a wonderland of textures and images, and I'm so glad we got the chance to stay there. Being in such beautiful surroundings, in a little oasis of un rushed calm, the rest of the world melts away for a while. Thank you David, our stay with you was a real tonic, and inspired us in many ways. Can't wait to come back again one day!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucy M
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Hi Lucy,

Thanks so much for the lovely review, and I do hope that you will be back here again soon (we can't have you waiting another two years!!).

Have a lovely weekend.

Lots love,

Reviewed September 5, 2012

A 1000 apologies David, I should have wrote this review a few months ago...Better late than never:)

Anyway...WOW...After spending ages researching for that something 'different' for my boyfriends birthday I stumble across 40 Winks. What a find, I was so excited before we even arrived and prayed it was everything I had imagined. 40 Winks exceeded all my expectations and Richard was blown away. A truly magical wonderland, a story to be told behind every door. With David your intriguing, excentric host.

A weekend to remember and never to be forgotten! Thank you

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Becky B
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thanks so much for the lovely review.... so glad you both enjoyed it, and hope to see you back here again very soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

As a young intern travelling alone in London, I have stayed in a lot of different places and had a variety of different experiences; this has been by far the most wonderful, breathtaking place I have ever stayed, in London or anywhere else for that matter.

It was an absolute pleasure staying at 40winks. David Carter is a lovely, entertaining and conscientious host, and his home is a magnificent dream world, beautifully decorated with all kinds of quirky pieces and instantly exuding a warm, welcoming atmosphere.

It really is a hidden treasure, and if you want something unique, opulent and luxurious then this is the place, but I warn you now you will never want to leave; personally I cannot wait to return!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for the charming review!! So glad you enjoyed your stay...
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

40 winks, for David's house is a tale of a child, let go your imagination and your life prince become a reality.
The house is decorated with great elegance, the home of David's wonderful, every detail is thought out.
located in the trendy East London, London you live outside the crowd with all the benefits of a trendy neighborhood.
I had the chance to live there for two weeks, I will never forget this wonderful experience!

Room Tip: the single room on the garde
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Caroline N
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thanks so much for the very sweet review... it was lovely having you here, and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hidden behind a rather unassuming door, lays a warm, welcoming treasure of a hotel. With only two bedrooms, a single and a double, it doesn't feel like a hotel at all, definitely not a B&B either, just... something totally different. It is the house of interior designer David Carter, a friendly, interesting spirit who gladly shares a cup of tea with you in his lush and secluded garden. As soon as I closed the door and left the manic traffic behind, my shoulders relaxed and I found myself wandering between the beautiful and quite extraordinarily decorated rooms. It's the home you wished you owned... inspirational.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Tinah A
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for the very kind review!!!