“The most wonderful place...”
Review of 40 Winks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
40 Winks
Ranked #5 of 580 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2012

As a young intern travelling alone in London, I have stayed in a lot of different places and had a variety of different experiences; this has been by far the most wonderful, breathtaking place I have ever stayed, in London or anywhere else for that matter.

It was an absolute pleasure staying at 40winks. David Carter is a lovely, entertaining and conscientious host, and his home is a magnificent dream world, beautifully decorated with all kinds of quirky pieces and instantly exuding a warm, welcoming atmosphere.

It really is a hidden treasure, and if you want something unique, opulent and luxurious then this is the place, but I warn you now you will never want to leave; personally I cannot wait to return!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for the charming review!! So glad you enjoyed your stay...
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

40 winks, for David's house is a tale of a child, let go your imagination and your life prince become a reality.
The house is decorated with great elegance, the home of David's wonderful, every detail is thought out.
located in the trendy East London, London you live outside the crowd with all the benefits of a trendy neighborhood.
I had the chance to live there for two weeks, I will never forget this wonderful experience!

Room Tip: the single room on the garde
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Caroline N
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thanks so much for the very sweet review... it was lovely having you here, and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hidden behind a rather unassuming door, lays a warm, welcoming treasure of a hotel. With only two bedrooms, a single and a double, it doesn't feel like a hotel at all, definitely not a B&B either, just... something totally different. It is the house of interior designer David Carter, a friendly, interesting spirit who gladly shares a cup of tea with you in his lush and secluded garden. As soon as I closed the door and left the manic traffic behind, my shoulders relaxed and I found myself wandering between the beautiful and quite extraordinarily decorated rooms. It's the home you wished you owned... inspirational.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Tinah A
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for the very kind review!!!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Some girls dream of Paris or Rome for their honeymoon... For me, it has always been London.

My husband and I wanted to experience the REAL London and staying at 40 Winks provided us with that and so much more. It was a pleasure chatting with David in-length about how 40 Winks opens him up to new ideas, global perspectives, and inspires him to make the world a better, more beautiful place. We ribbed him about the "takeaway pizza" guests who complained in a previous review... and I saw how it wounded him. He's an earnest man, quintessentially British - perhaps his reserve can be mistaken for rudeness or snobbery, but we found him extraordinarily kind and accommodating. And honestly, I was offended at the idea that someone would want to stay in their room (as lovely as it is) - on their computers the entire time - when the city of London is just outside their door. It's a joke. That is NOT why you stay at a place like 40 Winks. Just the idea someone would COMPLAIN having to take a bath everyday while on holiday is appalling. Waking up from glorious sleep and stepping into the most beautiful bath tub I have ever seen just put me into this inexplicably calming state of mind. In my busy life, I very rarely have the time to enjoy a proper bath and luxuriate in my surroundings... 40 Winks allowed me to enjoy city life, which can be loud and gritty at times, and slip into another world when I retreated to my room and bath everyday.

David introduced us to West End theatre, some of the most extraordinary gastronomic experiences we had in Europe, and great places like the Old Spitalfields market. His home is a revelation, inspiring me to take more risks in decorating our new home, incorporating antiques and collectibles with modern designs. Character and style. Some people have it - and others don't. I'd like to think my husband and I at least have an appreciation for it. But if you can't even appreciate the fact that David tries to provide his guests with a true London experience, don't stay here. Stay in a charmless hotel with all the wifi and shower stalls you need to stay holed up in your room the entire time you're in one of the greatest cities in the world.

If this review seems scathing to the naysayers, it's only because we loved our experience so much. And because I am a fierce advocate for my friends - and that is exactly what David has become for us. We hope to be back in the next few years, if he will have us again.

Thank you, David, for making our honeymoon so special. We will never forget our time at 40 Winks!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank The_Seattleites
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Hi darling,
What a lovely, kind review!!!!!
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here, and do hope the rest of your honeymoon was equally memorable.
Yes, we would love to have you back!
Keep well and hope to see you back here again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I travel a lot and I usually go to 4 or 5 stars chain hotels that have all the same look.
This hotel is the opposite with a unique ambience where every small detail is important
and especially selected to be there. You feel good to be part of it.
In addition, the elegant Mr. Carter is always available for chatting with a warm cup of tea or coffee;
I really loved it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicoletta C
Reviewed July 16, 2012

40 winks is the beautiful and magical hotel where you can experience unusual stay in London. After I stayed in a single room for few days, I didn’t want to leave.MrCarter dressed the hotel with beautiful interiors with a bit of wits. Even in this extraordinary place, I felt really at home chatting with him. You will be in love with the hotel especially if you like the arts and the interiors, but I also recommend it to anyone who wants to have a wonderful time in London surrounded by beautiful things.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Fumika0802
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you so much for the lovely review!!!!
Hope to see you back here again very soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Ode to 40 Winks

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with thoughts so true,
But this girl loved the ENGLISH soul in you,
And loved the light of your changing space.

I was on a solo trip to London, but with David's tips and lively conversations I felt at ease with my city experience. The highlight of my stay was his guided walk with me to a local antique market where I found several treasures for my shop back home! I'll be back again soon, David!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank deborah l
dcbc1, Owner at 40 Winks, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Hi Deborah,
Our first review in verse!!!
It was a pleasure to meet you, and do hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around Europe.
Take care.