“Love it - I'm a regular”

Travelodge London Waterloo Hotel
Ranked #427 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I actually cannot now remember how many times I've stayed at this hotel. It's given me a roof over my head every time I've gone to a gig at Brixton Academy, and it's sheltered me when I've gone to the Royal Vauxhall Tavern and events at the South Bank. Yes, it's a Travelodge, but unlike other hotels in the chain (Kings Cross Royal Scot, I'm looking at you - yes, it really was like a cross between "Titanic" and "The Shining" before it was refurbed), it is always reliably great. The rooms are always clean, the staff are always friendly and exceptionally helpful, and the prices are always affordable.

This particular trip was for two days. We were given a downstairs room, and as it faced onto a road, I was a bit worried about noise (yes, even after I've stayed in a hotel hard by Heathrow Airport with jumbos tickling the roof all the through the night, and heard not a sound), but it was fine - all you could hear were the muffled sounds of people chattering on their phones, and that only occasionally. At night it was very quiet.

Travelodge seem to have upped their game since I last stayed in one - clearly enduring consternation in the face of Premier Inn waffling on constantly about how AMAZING their beds are (and, having slept in several, I can tell you that they are, indeed, quite marvellous), Travelodge have now got jiggy with Sleepeezee and have designed their very own Travelodge bed! How cool is that? No more saggy mattresses - it was a really impressive bed and I slept very comfortably in it. And ate a pasty quite comfortably in it, too, if I'm honest (my glamorous life...). In fact, Travelodge are so proud of their new beds that you can actually order one yourself. Imagine what that would be like: it rather reminds me of the Tour de France team who took their own mattresses everywhere so they didn't have to get used to a different bed each night.

In terms of location, it's a 5 minute walk to Waterloo Station, and I do believe it has a gym (which I didn't try).

I should have a small moan, though - guys, c'mon, when are you going to have adjustable showerheads in your bathrooms? I had to put a Boots carrier bag on my head, and it's really not a particularly attractive look. In fact, I looked gigantically foolish.

But other than that... yeah! I like!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank helvissa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,761)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Overall, very pleased with our stay. No frills hotel but had everything we needed. Bed and pillows very comfortable. Rooms and public areas of hotel were very clean and tidy. Excellent location very close to Waterloo train/underground station and good choice of restaurants, bars/pubs etc. nearby. Excellent price. We will be returning next time we visit London.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The Travelodge London Waterloo is only a few minutes' walk from Waterloo station. It has a new feel about it and features the refurbished Travelodge rooms. I had paid the extra £10 for an early check-in from midday, which I thought was a good feature. As I waited to be served in Reception, I was irritated by Pop music blaring out of a speaker in the ceiling - not exactly a good omen for a restful stay. However, the receptionist was pleasant and I was given a room on the fifth floor, at the back of the building, which turned out to be quiet. There were two very quick lifts to serve the seven floors.

The room was very spacious with a cool, relaxing decor (see photo). The window looked out over a block of flats at the rear of the building, away from the traffic of Waterloo Road, and the room had a nice calm feel to it. While new and stylish, the furniture was basic and I don't know how it will look in 5-10 years time. A large TV was attached to the wall facing the bed and tea/coffee facilities were provided. There was a big empty space in the room which looked as if it was waiting for a sofa, or at least a chair and table - in fact, there was only one (cheap plastic) chair in the room. The bathroom was basic but clean, with a good-sized walk-in shower. On the negative side, the toilet seat was loose. Nevertheless, the whole room made a nice, comfortable space as a base for visiting London. I didn't take breakfast in the hotel, as there are a number eateries within walking distance at the railway station.

In my opinion, this Travelodge provides a very good standard of accommodation for the price in central London, when most alternatives at this price are probably small, old and tired rooms in 1 or 2-star establishments. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and thoroughly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CRobDerbyshire
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a budget hotel but handy for Waterloo railway station and Central London . The War Museum and Borough Market are fairly close by and a taxi fare to Mayfair was less than £20 so the hotel is pretty central for most of the sights in London. At £70 per person for B&B in Central London, it was good value.

Room Tip: Keep the window closed to keep out the traffic noise
1  Thank David R
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Our room was clean, with all the essential furnishings and a lovely comfy bed. We were near Waterloo tube station, very convenient for the central attractions. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was delicious and reasonable priced

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The location at Waterloo is excellent for a short stay in London, with the hotel just a short walk from the station. This is the best Travelodge I have stayed in and puts many other London hotels to shame. Spotlessly clean room, no noise and an extremely comfortable bed. breakfast is OK with a reasonable but not outstanding choice

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Perfect for Waterloo station as only 5-10 mins walk and really comfy beds. Reasonable selection of food for breakfast although the bacon tasted a little odd. Only pizza available late set night, despite the impression that food is available 24 hours. Would stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple