“Very disappointing lunch - and charged for things we didn't order!”

Carluccios - The Brunswick
Ranked #3,346 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Was here for a team work lunch and we were asked to submit our orders in advance the day before.

Confusingly then, we still had to wait nearly an hour for any food and the service was so badly managed that some people were only getting their food when most people had finished.

We also got charged for bread and olives that we didn't ask for - in most restaurants if these arrive on the table, they are complimentary!

And as for the food, small portions and fairly un-memorable and bland. As others have said, Carluccio's is not what it used to be.

Slightly alarmed that waiting staff have to scan their fingerprints to operate tills too!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had spent the morning at Madame Tussaud's and were looking for a quick bite afterwards and happened by this little place. Had pizza and rustic vegetable soup with a caprese salad. Delicious! Service was a little over the top but that was probably due to our jet lag more than any problem with our waiter. Would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We decided to return to Carluccios after visiting twice previously a couple of years ago. The place is conveniently located near Russell Square tube station in the Brunswick shopping area.
We were greeted and shown to our table but then felt a little rushed to order. The atmosphere was ok, for a late Saturday afternoon. The food was served promptly i had calamari to start while my wife had the Tuna and caper fish cake. The calamari was very good. For mains I went for the beef stew with grilled polenta, my wife had ravioli and my daughter the linguine frutti de mar. I felt the beef was ok but a small portion and wasn't all that hot. The ravioli was bland tasting mainly of butter and the Linguine was ok but had to ask for a separate dish to place the muscle shells.
We can remember having excellent food here in the past but feel it has failed to maintain its standards.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Christmas works evening dinner for 5, Mid December .
The restaurant was 1/3rd full when we arrived but so very loud. This amplified as more arrived and it was difficult to hold a conversation without raising our voices too. Starters arrived and these were generally good. House wine both red and white were purchased but were poor quality and taste that I could only recommend that you avoid these. We waited ages for our mains- we'd all ordered steak. 4 arrived on time and ok but one didn't look at all the same and was completely over cooked. I asked for this to be replaced , the staff were good about this and accepted that a chance was reasonable. This took such a long time to arrive that the rest of the group had completely finished. The replacement wasn't great undercooked potatoes that were covered in 'eyes' . Without hesitation the manager accepted that this needed to be removed from the bill. Deserts were generally ok though the restaurant hadn't prepared for the special requests they'd been made aware of at the time of booking so my desert was a meringue without any dressing and too dry to eat so I was able to take it away with me. We had been in the restaurant for such a long time we declined to order coffee . It appeared that there wasn't sufficient staff as it took ages to get food out of the kitchen. Our evening was not a success

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant today for her birthday. Food was pretty good and reasonably priced for central London. But the place just has no real atmosphere.