“disappointed”
Review of Palmers

Palmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Palmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,510 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, Diner, Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Description: Palmers Restaurant is a stylish yet informal brasserie-style restaurant in Mile End that is a smart spot filled with natural light, bright artworks and smiley staff. Decorated with tiled floors, wooden furniture, floor-to-ceiling windows and plum-coloured banquettes – this dining room has a friendly, linger-over-dessert-and-wine vibe and regulars know the star of the show is the creative modern British menu which is filled with gems such as the queen scallops with slow-roasted pork belly and Madeira sauce; the Bresse Bleu pear and walnut risotto; and the quince and hazelnut crumble with custard. Suitable for working meals and family nights out, Palmers – which is located on Roman Road, has earned an enviable reputation with local food-lovers.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A warm welcome into a very quiet restaurant on a Friday night was uplifted by two excellent starters worthy of a "fine dining" establishment but despite my wife's superbly cooked and presented duck breast the evening was spoilt by the very salty risotto accompanying my cod dish. We were never asked during the meal for our comments or otherwise and not wishing to spoil the evening i waited until they collected the uneaten risotto before commenting. i was most suprised that despite asking the server to check it out with the chefs no response was forthcoming until I asked when invited to choose dessert. the response was a disappointing " all three chefs tasted it and said it was okay" it wasn't!

1  Thank woodcol

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were huge fans of "Winkles" the wonderful fish restaurant that used to be on this site so it was always going to be hard to love Palmers. We went 3 times to give it a fair chance and some parts of our experience were very good. The service is warm and friendly and the starters generally good. Main courses were more hit and miss, although the rule seemed to be that the meat was much better than the fish, on one visit they even managed to put me off eating turbot! It's not cheap either and just not quite special enough to warrant the expense. If you go expecting a 5 star restaurant I think you'll be disappointed, but go expecting 3 stars and you might be pleasantly surprised.

3  Thank eastendbird
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We're 3 friends who eat out all the time and always looking for new experiences. We came in from Wanstead this eve based on the reviews on here, and I used to live around the corner so love coming to my old stomping ground. As has been described, it's an unpretentious environment - a little Wagamama-ish and was packed and quite noisy, which is fine.

I don't know if the family who runs it is Czech, but the exquisite and polite boy serving was and the girl was also eastern European and messed up the order slightly. I will speak for what I had. The crab ravioli was nice, though woefully under seasoned and was just the acceptable side of tepid to avoid being sent back. The starters all came out very quickly. As did the mains, and my Rib Eye was also tepid. Only the chips were hot - decent, but not outstanding. The steak was fine, though the lighting was so low I couldn't see what was fat or lean, which meant I had do the unrefined business of extracting fatty bits from my mouth into my paper napkin.

Had the main food been as hot as the cheese was refrigerated cold I may have been happier, Why do some restaurants manage to stick 2 fingers up to the EU and serve cheese at proper temperature and get away with it, whilst other slavishly follow the rules? House white and red were very drinkable and reasonably priced.

It was OK. I would go again, but wouldn't rush. The cab they arranged home tried to rip us off for £20 for a uber-easy 6 mile/10 minute drive home.

3  Thank trevgti
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

From the outside, this restaurant doesn't look particularly special. The indoor decor isn't great either. However, the food is very very tasty indeed. The bouillabaisse starter was packed full of flavour, the pork chop seasoned to perfection. Huge portions, great value. Service a bit slow but pleasant. Would recommend as a tasty, relatively cheap eat

1  Thank Izzysaunders
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've lived in Bow for about 3 years now and have only just tried out this gem of a restaurant. It's by far the best restaurant in the area, and I would even go as far as saying it's the best restaurant (value for money and quality) in East London.

I had the Bouillabaisse to start, which was exquisite, and the grilled pork chop for main. If pushed, the only fault I could find was that the portions were perhaps a bit too big. Saying that, I ended up with a doggie bag for lunch the next day so I can't really complain.

This charming family-run restaurant is definitely worth trying, just make sure you're hungry.