“Far better than the average lower budget hotel”
Review of St Joseph Hotel

St Joseph Hotel
Ranked #1,019 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The cost of the stay was so low I was, I admit, nervous about the quality of the hotel and the service. I shouldn't have given it a thought! The hotel is decorated to a high standard and the receptionist was most helpful when we first arrived.
Our room, though small and on the lower level (so no pretty view), was modern, had all the facilities I could need, and the bathroom was modern and tastefully laid out.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was adequate for our needs.

Room Tip: I'd book up as soon as possible - they seem to be full all the time and, frankly, I'm not su...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 2, 2012

On the first of four nights we were placed in a basement room which was too small for a single let alone a couple. The window view featured dustbins and hotel linen. We tried to change immediately but were told the hotel was full but on the second day we did move to
a ground floor room which was much better though still on the small side.
The room itself was neat with a nice shower, hair drier, tea and coffee, a fridge and a safe which we found impossible to operate so we left our valuables in the case under the bed.
The breakfast room was also small but the complementary food was adequate and included boiled eggs, toast, tea, coffee and soft drinks. We did feels the need to bring in supplies of ham and chicken to create some variety.
The staff, especially the reception team of Rod and Ash were very helpful and the room was kept very clean and well stocked.
Overall the stay represented very good value for money and perfect if you're are a midget.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement as it seems that's where the really tiny rooms are.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bob w
Reviewed August 11, 2012

A lovely little hotel, We (myself and a friend) only stayed for one night and it was a lovely 5 minute walk to the tube, there were a few pubs around, and the road it was situated on was quite, the only problem we faced was our key card didn’t work but there was no problem, as they just gave us a key. A lovely stop over hotel with no frills.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jodie L
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Good: Contrary to our expectations, having read the ratings of others too late for cancelling, we found a decent (albeit small) room, on the ground floor (so no stairs to climb with the luggage), with a nice bathroom. Of course it is not a luxury hotel, but it was certainly good value for money. We think maybe we were so lucky as to be given one of the refurbished rooms. Probably the customers who left those terrible reviews happened to be given some old rooms on a higher floor. The breakfast room is admittedly small, but it never happened to be so full that one had to queue up for breakfast, even if we were there on the first days of the Olympics. As to the location, well, anybody knows that Earl's Court is one of the best in town.
Bad: The basin in the bathroom was so small that it was impossible not to wet the floor, where there was no rug. Also, there was nowhere to hang our handtowels near the basin, which resulted in dripping water on the floor (see above). But what was really appalling was the behaviour of the two girls who were supposed to work in the breakfast room. Instead of cleaning the tables they kept chatting all the time in their eastern language or texting on their cells. The filter in the coffee machine was never changed during our three days stay, the display kept reading "change filter" all the time. Asked what we were supposed to do for tea, one of them replied very rudely to me, even more so when I asked again not having understood her "green sachets", uttered with an accent which made it unintelligible. They were also very rude with some other customers who were asking about eggs. As to breakfast, it was very basic, with only regular cornflakes (no other cereal), only cheese (no ham) and only jams (no marmalade). Of course, no English breakfast, but we didn't mind as we had had that very often elsewhere in England where we had been touring. Lastly, if you need to print your boarding card, do it somewhere else, as the Internet connection is so unbearably slow that you might spend £ 5 or 6 before you manage to complete the form, save it and send it to the manager's mailbox for printing, as it costs £ 1 for 15 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiziana C
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room was tiny, the walls were filthy with a hugh crack the whole way down one side of it. The bed clothes smelt quite bad and when we pulled them back there were black hairs in the bed.The bed was also situated under the window which made the bed feel damp. The 'breakfast' was a choice of toast,cornflakes or an egg...not very good!!!!!
We had a looooooong 2 night stay and would definitely not return again!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bernie K
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After reading some horrific reviews on here I was dreading staying here. It wasn't anywhere near as bad! It was good value for money as exactly what you would expect for a £39 room. I wouldn't want to stay there for longer than a night but it was a roof over my head and a clean warm room. The room wasn't spacious but adequate for 2 people needing a place to crash.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Hotelier1992
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I arrived and was given a key to LG6 and went to the room to find the key didn't work, came back and was asked was I doing it right. Given another key which didn't work and then next time he came down and said I'll let you in. Pity I did as when I got in the room was disgusting, mould ran all the way along the left hand side of the ceiling and the walls were splattered in something (I said blood but the owner said coffee). Skirting boards were hanging away from the wall and mould and damanage was all around. They did move me to another room when I complained but this was on the top floor with no lift but again the key I was given did not work and I had to walk all the way back to reception. This room was cleaner but was very very very small. I ended up sleeping on top of the bed in clothes as I wasn't convinced of the overall cleanliness. Next morning I left as soon as I woke; deciding not to stay for breakfast. There was also a discrepency between what was quoted and what I was asked to pay. They said it was a service charge of 5% but I'd like to know what service I received? On this note I don't blame the hotel but booking.com who should have quoted the full cost before deciding to book.

Room Tip: don't choose a room here
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo