“Exceptionally clean but not quiet or roomy”
Review of Judd Hotel

Judd Hotel
Ranked #246 of 556 London B&B and Inns
London, England
“Exceptionally clean but not quiet or roomy”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I haven't found a cleaner hotel - spotless. Location - okay for 10 minute walk from St Pancras. Good tube and bus links from there to everywhere. Taxi about £12-15 to Trafalgar Square if not sat in traffic. Located in the basement single room LG6 I could hear the low rumble of the Tube and the trundle of wheeled luggage as people went down the road. It must have had single glazing because I could also hear conversations. The cleaners cupboard was in use outside my door (along with loud conversations) from 7am on Monday. The bed was very comfortable but I have slept better in £25 Youth Hostel dormitories. Great en-suite & shower but needs a swivel shaving/make-up mirror because the light is behind you in there. WARNING - I returned from a celebration the night before and in my slightly drunk state could have sworn I was told 9.30 was last breakfast but clearly I was wrong. It's only served 0730-0900 [8-10 Sundays?]. This is the worst timing I have ever experienced and led to an difference of opinion when I turned up at 0908 to avoid the tourists, thinking I had 20 mins. They did eventually let me in and one of the kitchen staff was very helpful in providing sausages, beans and bacon, tepid from the leftovers. The yoghurt was very good and the filter coffee was excellent - shame they whisked it away without offering a second cup. I can imagine the breakfast is great if you all shoehorn into this basement room within their 90 minute schedule. I find that really poor. Overall it is a nice little hotel which with a few changes, could be a little gem to which I would return but so many small things let it down hence my 'below average' rating. I normally pay around £100 for single use of a large double in a 4* quiet hotel in central location, so at £70 this tiny 2M x 3M noisy room is very poor value. Air con didn't seem to work very well so very hot and unpleasant night. Imagine double rooms on higher floors are quieter & I could have then given a good sleep rating and improved the value rating.

Room Tip: Avoid any Lower Ground (LG) rooms. These are noisy, particularly LG6 which is next to the cleaners c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

just returned from 3 days in London staying in the Judd. We went down for a few museum exhibitions and wanted somewhere cheap, but not nasty! The hotel completely surpassed my expectations. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms were compact, but very clean and neat. The bathroom in the room was modern and clean and the water nice and hot!

It is an easy 5-10 minute walk to Euston station or Russell Square tube station and only a bit more to the British Museum. The area is clean and lively, with lots of pubs, and small restaurants to choose from in the evening.

Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and varied and we were even able to leave or bags in the hotel when we checked out on the last morning, and collect them later in the day when were were due to go home.

A perfect little budget gem that I am sure that I will return to!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent three days at The Judd before a cruise from Southhampton. We arrived before our room was ready, but our bags were secured so that we could go out and do some sightseeing. Our check-in went very smoothly upon our return, and we were given a room ground floor, with a view out onto the streetfront. While the room was small, it was large enough for the two of us, plus our luggage. There was a mantle in the room which was ideal for holding many of our toiletries.There is no in-room safe, but the front desk was happy to store our valuables in their safe. Breakfast every morning was very good and filling. The location of the hotel is excellent, close to the British Museum, the Kings Cross station, many pubs. Lastly, the front desk attendants as well as the breakfast room attendants were friendly and helpful. Our room was always spotless and comfortable. I would recommend The Judd and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was ground floor facing the street. Unfortunately, our sleep was often interrupted by peopl...
Sechelt
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Judd Hotel for five nights in September and were on the first floor in Room 105. The location was great-- close to pubs, shops, a launderette, and the tube, buses and trains. We felt very safe walking around the area. The room was clean and nicely decorated and the bathroom was modern and clean. My only complaint was the room was so small--enough room for the bed and a night table and small closet. There was a small space at the end of the bed but not much room for anything else although we managed to squeeze our suitcases into the room. The ceilings were high so we didn't feel so claustrophobic. A full English breakfast was served in a pleasant breakfast room along with yogurt and juice although there wasn't a great choice of cereals. We paid nearly $1200 Canadian dollars for the five nights which I thought was expensive but then this is London and you pay for location. We found the staff very helpful and courteous and they assisted us with our suitcases as there was no lift. When we left we easily walked with our suitcases to St Pancras to catch the train so that saved us money as we didn't have to take a cab.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were looking for a last minute central London hotel for one night. The Judd Hotel ticked all the boxes. The staff were friendly and helpful, the location is great for Kings Cross and the rest of central London and the room was just what we needed, albeit small. After a night on the tiles the unlimited and well-cooked breakfast was very welcome as well.
If you are looking for good value hotel where you don't plan on staying all day you can't beat the Judd Hotel.

Crieff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I wanted somewhere reasonably priced, clean and central and i got all of that. I was very pleased to be in comfortable and peaceful surroundings. I will definitely stay here again! It is small but it is very clean and the breakfast was ample. After all, we are talking the centre of London where space is a premium but i felt very relaxed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Really nice location a stones throw from Euston station. Very pretty quiet location in Cartwright gardens. Pleasant five minute walk from hotel to small shopping centre and Russell Square tube station. Room was clean and well appointed. Beds were comfortable lots of pillows! Breakfast was good. Would definitely stay there again. Stayed three nights excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012