“The 3 beds!”
Review of Judd Hotel

Judd Hotel
Ranked #237 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Judd Hotel is really convenient. Its close to Euston and the tube. Its also off the main drag at Euston Road in a square, cartwright gardens, which is quite (well quite for london) Its clean, and fresh inside, but its a functional place and i would use it for convenience rather than any feeling of luxury/ambiance. My room was in the basement, sounds horrible but its winter and the curtains are closed so thats not a problem. But when i got into the room there were 3 beds. They were all small singles. I couldnt understand why they wouldnt put in either a larger bed or take one bed out and put in a desk and chair. i had to work on one of the beds - not great for any business person. But comfortable and the bathroom was fresh and clean (apart from the broken sink - come on guys !!) But that didnt inconvenience me. Breakfast is actually in a small but nice room in the basement and they had a cooked breakfast which was nice - set up for the day.

So overall OK just wish they did more to cater to the business market.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MikesBike

Reviewed November 28, 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel (I use the term advisedly) for three nights. On our first night, we were woken by loud machinery close to the room we occupied (Room G04 on the ground floor). I phoned Reception and in my conversation with the duty-receptionist, the following points came to light:
· The complaint about the machinery was a known issue
· The previous occupant - the night before - had demanded to be moved to another room" (apparently this had been done on the morning of the day we arrived)
· That it was too late to effect a move to another room, but that he would leave a note for the day-staff

The machinery continued to switch on and off intermittently throughout the night, resulting in a restless - literally and figuratively - and very uncomfortable night. Early the next morning, I spoke to the receptionist (Manuel, from Fawlty Towers, springs to mind ....), who confirmed ALL of the above. He offered to move us to another room on the first floor; I insisted on viewing the room beforehand and we were - reluctantly - escorted to the room in question. It turned out that our fears about the relocation were not unfounded: the replacement room was located directly ABOVE the machinery! We would therefore have been confronted with the same issue, albeit from a different angle, so to speak. I asked the receptionist whether I could speak to the Duty Manager, but he refused, saying that he would "deal with the issue". I left my card with my telephone number behind, insisting that the issue be resolved as soon as possible. The receptionist phoned me half-an-hour later and told me that he had put the matter to the Duty Manager, who in turn had come up with the following - remarkable - "solution":

If we were not happy with the room - or indeed with the replacement - the only measure open was for us to check out of his hotel! I expressed my surprise at the manner in which Judd Hotel had chosen to deal with the matter, and informed the receptionist that if we were indeed to follow the Duty Manager's "advice", we would not be paying for the previous night, and he assured me that the Judd Hotel would NOT be charging us for the night. We then booked into another hotel (fortunately, despite the start of a very busy weekend, we were able to find a room in the area) and went back to collect our luggage. On departure, I made sure that the receptionist had understood your instructions clearly and asked for your contact details. He - reluctantly, as always (reluctance does seem to typify his behaviour in all things!) - wrote down the name Andi Valdre on the back of a card; for all I know, this is his own name .....

Because I did not trust the receptionist at all, I immediately informed my credit card company by e-mail that the Judd Hotel does not have my authorisation to charge my card; again, my instincts proved to be correct: the Judd Hotel charged our credit card! Clearly, the receptionist carried out this - unauthorised - transaction even before we had left the hotel.

This "hotel" is not worth the top billing it gives itself. AVOID!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank I P
Mark0brien, General Manager at Judd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

After speaking to my staff who were on duty that day at Judd Hotel I would like to recount events to you.

You were given room G04 upon check in and complained about noise coming from the condenser units. Unfortunately the hotel staff were not able to move you that day as the hotel was fully booked. You agreed with reception to move rooms in the morning.
The following morning you called the reception to complain about the noise coming from the condensers. My receptionist arranged for you to see two available rooms. The first one was room 101 on the first floor. You rejected this as you could see the condensers. The second room you were offered was LG01. You declined this room as it was in the lower ground floor, near to the dining room and you claimed there was a smell in the room.
As no other rooms were available you decided you wanted to cancel your reservation with the hotel. My receptionist informed you that you would have to pay for the previous night and would waive the late cancellation fee.
You reacted rudely to his suggestion and left the hotel.
My receptionist completed the sale on the pre-authorised credit card for one nights accommodation.
Having spoken with the duty manager he did advise the receptionist to let you leave the hotel with no penalties although you had been offered alternative rooms in the building. We charged the night you had stayed.
I checked on our computer system and the person in room G04 was a corporate guest staying with us for one night only. The computer showed no trace of a room move for this or any other guest from G04.
I have spoken with all the reception staff and none of them recall telling you there would be no charge. They do however recall you being very rude to them. I do not appreciate guests being rude to my staff.
As far as I can see, Andi dealt with your request in a professional manner and you chose to be rude and non co-operative.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night (a Saturday in November) and really cannot fault it. Despite its close proximity to student accommodation, there was no noise disturbance, even in a ground-floor room at the front of the hotel.The building itself is beautiful and has a high standard of decor. Staff at reception and in the breakfast room were very freindly and helpful. It's true that the room was small but, as other reviewers have said, people don't go to London to spend all day in a hotel room. In short, we would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants pleasant short-stay accommodation in a quiet but central location.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights. Excellent location with plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby. We walked to Camden Market from the hotel in about 25 mins but Russell Square and Euston tube stations are only a couple of minutes away. Breakfast was included and was very good. Room was spotless and despite being small was very nice. Let's face it, how much time are you going to spend in there that its an issue?! You're on holiday! Receptionist was very friendly and let us drop our bags off before check-in time so that we could go exploring.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the Judd Hotel. It was comfortable, clean, and the staff were very polite. The breakfast was good and freshly prepared, with several choices - juice, hot drinks, cereal, yoghurt, sausages, bacon, toast, beans, and two kinds of eggs. The room was nice and the bed was super comfortable. The wifi worked well and was available throughout the Hotel.

There were just a few cons - Our double room was quite small for two people, but it was ok for one night. Our sink didn't drain properly... although perhaps if we had told someone at reception about this, they may have fixed it. Also, our room on the lower ground was noisy in the morning with sounds coming from the reception area above us and the breakfast room next door.

Overall, this was a very nice place to stay and I will come back the next time I am in London!

Room Tip: The lower ground rooms are noisy, so a room on the upper floors may be better
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The Judd Hotel is on Cartwright Gardens which is a nice Georgian crescent lined with hotels. I have stayed in just about all of them. The Judd Hotel has been recently renovated and is very clean and has all the necessary amenities. The double room I was in was quite small - two people would be hard pressed to walk around in it at the same time - but it was comfortable and relatively quiet. My room was on the ground floor with a window looking out on a small, concrete yard with a glassed in floor which was actually the skylight of the breakfast room. A higher room would probably have a nicer view, but I can't complain about the room itself and the price was reasonabe, if not cheap, but then nothing decent in London is! I would certainly return to the Judd again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JeanMcK
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A comfortable clean well maintained and managed small hotel within easy reach of Euston/ St Pancras/ Kings Cross and bus and tube routes (7 mins walk to Euston Mainline station and 4 mins to bus and tubes). Location is on a quiet square away from the traffic noise. Stayed two nights in a twin room on the upper 3rd floor. Lovely well decorated clean room, comfy beds, WiFi worked well. Rooms are small as to be expected in London but adequate. Excellent cooked breakfast and extremely helpful and friendly staff. Good value for money in London and we'll be returning.

Room Tip: No lift in the hotel. Rooms on the third floor have access via a narrow steep staircase - a bit tric...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family