“Fantastic time and we will be back”
Review of Judd Hotel

Judd Hotel
Ranked #193 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We booked at the Judd Hotel on the last minute. On arrival at the Judd we were made to feel welcome, we arrived early so had to leave our cases in reception the staff made sure they were secure until our room was ready. My son and I were in a twin room on the ground floor, which was lovely. It was clean and airy clean towels everyday, and the breakfast was lovely just enough to start a busy day sight seeing with.

Room Tip: We were in G1 ground floor and even though it was near the reception area the noise was minimal.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tania P
There are newer reviews for Judd Hotel

Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is a well thought out hotel, pleasant, very clean, the staff are very helpful and the rooms small but very homely and comfortable. Getting down for breakfast is no different: helpful staff, attentive and the tables are well set out and spotlessly clean. There is a small variety of cereals and a reasonable cooked breakfast spread. However there is no sign of any fresh or tinned fruit; grapefruit and orange segments would be a start, but a good selection of fresh fruit would really make the stay worthwhile for those of us who like fresh food. The same allpies to some more vegetables with the cooked breakfast like tomatoes and mushrooms. Also these days one expects a choice of teas like green tea, rooibos, earl grey ...AT LEAST!!!! A little more of this kind of refinements would certainly make the Judd a place to reccommend. But until then.....it remains average because of breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The rooms are small but very clean. A nice en suite bathroom that had been recently modernised. Bed was ok but the springs moved a lot, which indicates the bed should be replaced. Friendly and helpful staff. Big advantage is it is 5 minutes walk from St Pancras station, underground and Eurostar. Not inexpensive but nothing is in central London.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

We (family of 3) stayed 3 days at Judd Hotel that turned out to be an excellent "base camp" for our stay in London.

It was in walking distance to a number of tube stations (Russell st., Euston Road, Kings Cross) so we had easy access to many parts of London. Just around the corner there were a number of restaurants of all tastes and with reasonable prices.

The staff was very kind and competent. The room was clean but rather small considering that we were 3 persons. However, if we only had been 2 persons in the room it would have been ok.

The breakfast was dull and the most basic "English breakfast" a hotel can serve. Considering the price we payed for the room one would expect a little more, e.g. some fresh fruit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst in London for a meeting. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room, a single, although small was very nice and comfortable and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was fresh and modern although the pressure on the shower could have been better.
The breakfast was an excellent Full English with all the trimmings, again with friendly service.
The only down side for some will be lack of a lift if you have lots of bags to carry up the narrow winding staircase. I would recommend this no problem for short stays and its proximity to Euston, St. Pancras and Kings Cross.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I made a rushed trip to London in July and foound it hard to find accommodation at a price I wanted to pay. I normally stay at the Parkwood Hotel, Marble Arch, but they were fully booked. I chose the Judd Hotel in Cartwright Gardens, as I had stayed at the Parkwoods sister hotel in the same street, so knew the area.
I found the desk staff very helpfu, the hotel very clean and recently spruced! I chose the top attic room, mainly because I wanted a view out on the trees and I thought it would be quieter. It was pretty good, a quiet street, you can't choose your neighbours though, so a couple of late night loud arrivals, not hotels fault.
The room was small, ok for one person, however the shower was probably the smallest I have been in, and I have travelled a lot through the UK, I am of small build, so anyone bigger would have struggled!
My only gripe would be with the breakfast and breakfast staff.....they were not on the ball and didn't cope when there were more than a couple of tables in the room, a bit of training there would help. The actual breakfast, although they advertise it as an "english breakfast', it wasn't good. the food sat on the bainmarie, drying out, in the end I ate elsewhere.
To sum up....it was adequate, but for the price, I get better value at the Parkwood.

Room Tip: Top rooms, despite the climb!
1  Thank frith59
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here for two nights with herself for a westend show/sightseeing. We checked in late and as such were given the "short straw" if you will. Check in was fine, we were given room 5 on the ground floor(avoid at all costs). As it was late we went straight to bed hoping to get a good nights sleep before a long day ahead. WRONG!

The room must have the waste disposal pipes going through the wall next to or above it as everytime somebody flushed we were disturbed by the noise of the water gushing down the pipes. This happened throughout the night and as a result we both got little sleep. Also, the room was tiny. It appeared to be a room that was split in two. The bathroom was like a telephone booth. When on the toilet your feet are in the shower. The sink was like a lunchbox and it was impossible to wash your face without your feet getting a subsequent wash!! This was a terrible start to our break. The bed was flush against a wall on one side and there was barely enough room to open the door beside the bed. Some would call it compact - I'd call it cramped!

The next morning we went down to breakfast half an hour before closing, as were exhausted from a lack of sleep. We sat at a vacant table that was waiting to be cleaned. After a while the waiter on duty cleared the table. We got food, but had to wait for our (cold) toast & by then our food was also cold. The buffet was limited ie rasher, sausage, egg. We saw no fruit or yoghurts available. The waiter was disinterested, disgruntled and unhelpful. He had no problem coughing over our food while delivering toast to us.

At this point we were going to complain about the room/service, however, we decided that the hotel seemed booked up and we had a busy day ahead and a lack of sleep the night before, we would sleep well that night. We also didnt have time to hang around for someone to check out at midday as we wanted to go out after breakfast.

All in all, I find this hotel to be overpriced (check other htoels at Cartwright Gardens, as location is great. Lots to choose from on that road) room size is way below average and the buffet leaves alot to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mark0brien, General Manager at Judd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Thank you ‘pizzaboy1989’ for your review.
I am saddened to hear that your stay in our hotel was less than enjoyable.
You checked in late so therefore the only room available was G05. The room is compact but it is perfectly appointed as is the bathroom.
The breakfast is very busy in our hotel. We offer sausage, bacon, beans, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, toast, yoghurts, tea, coffee etc. I am sorry you didn’t get a yoghurt or fruit.
Regarding my waiter ‘coughing over our food’ I can’t believe this. All my staff are trained in Food Hygiene and are compliant with the Food Standards Agency. However in light of your comments I have instructed the hotel manager to organise some refresher training for the staff.
It is unfortunate that you decided not to complain at the reception. We would have arranged a room transfer for you while you were out. All we would have required was for you to ensure your bags are packed in the room in order to for us to move you. We rely on guest feedback whether positive or negative in order for us to identify areas we can improve upon.
I have had my maintenance team check for the running water sound in the room but we can not hear anything. We will however keep an eye on it.