“Delicious”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Restaurant opened this week
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I live near to Trullo, and have always rated it as a good-quality neighbourhood restaurant where they cook simple Italian food with exceptional ingredients, so I go there periodically. Unusually for a popular restaurant, I think it has been getting better lately, and the additional space downstairs means that it feels less busy and rigid about the 2 hour slots. The meal I had last week was sublime, particularly some very slow-cooked lamb shanks with aubergine and chick peas, and some perfect cheese with paired wines. The young staff are uniformly friendly and enthusiastic. A fantastic place to have within walking distance.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

went with friends recently after hearing good things about this neighborhood restaurant. let me say it was good. They seem to have a chef that certainly knows the ins and outs of italian cooking and uses the correct ingredients well. Started with sliced ox cheek followed with Ribollitta and finished off with a baked sea trout washed down with bottles of Barberesco. A nice buzzing restaurant where they dont mind a bit of noise at the table. All good and we'll be back fro sure.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had heard so much about this restaurant from our son that 5 of us went there for his birthday. We weren't disappointed. It isn't cheap but it is worth it for a special treat.
The atmosphere was understated. The service was outstanding; calm but friendly and unobtrusive, with excellent memory of each diner's order and requirements. When there was a problem it was sorted quickly and with no fuss.
The food was really good; Pappardelle with beef shin ragu is super and Burrata with Castelluccio lentils, agretti and spicy tomato sauce gets full marks for perfectly balanced flavours. I wish I could have managed to fit in a pudding, however, the birthday boy was brought a complimentary ice cream and candle; a lovely touch!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I didn't know Trullo's backstory but I liked the look of it from the outside - and it always seemed full. I liked the look of it from the inside, too. From the clever rustic-chic design to simple menus in a stylish font, I felt I and my appetite were in good hands. My approach to art is - if I could do it, it isn't art. The same applies to cooking: if I could do it, it isn't cuisine. And, sadly (because I really wanted to like the place), my orecchiette were no better than something I might have knocked up quickly in order to catch the Ten O'clock News on a yoga or badminton night. In fact, they may even have been very slightly worse, such was the rubberiness of their texture and the gloopiness of the sauce.

I gave the Dorset lamb a miss because I wasn't convinced it was this seasons's and was thereby obliged to go for the rainbow trout - hardly the "seasonally focused" food promised by the website, though I guess farmed trout is always in season. Although I asked for it to be cooked through because I'm not too keen on rawish fish, it came back barely cooked at all under its burnt skin so I managed to eat less than half. The few under-roasted vegetables and teaspoon of bland horseradish mayonnaise that came with it were not far short of embarrassing - unless I had missed the point of the whole enterprise, which I concede is possible.The rhubarb and almond upside-down cake was OK but then so was the pineapple version I made a couple of weekends before. It really gives me no pleasure to say it but ninety quid for two for a midweek lunch of this calibre is, to put the very best spin on it, audacious.

4  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I really love this place. Upstairs a nice restaurant and downstairs more casual New York style vibe. Lots of choice for vegetarians. very interesting dishes. Not really italian I wouldn't say. And not cheap either! But nice friendly place that's impressive.