“Go big or go home!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Reviewed August 6, 2013

With a plethora of fine steak restaurants dotted around London it is hard to establish yourself as a worthy contender in this somewhat saturated market. JW however, has a very good go at it.
it's probably my 5th visit, I need to point out that I usually opt for the lump crab cake starter, perhaps a little punchy at £14 but worth every penny - 95% crab meat, chunks of ocean bliss.
This time I went for the sunday roast, to my dismay the crab cakes weren't included on the very reasonable £24 2 course menu. I had the goats cheese and pumpkin salad, very pleasant and light enough as not to affect my appetite for the main. The roast beef (New york strip) came as three thick slices of perfectly cooked meat, accompanied by gravy, large yorkshire pud, roast veg, greens, roast potatoes and horseradish sauce. i huge serving that I could barely finish.
The Mrs chose the 8oz fillet, cooked to a perfect medium rare, melt in the mouth and full of flavour, washed down with a slightly overpriced bottle of Malbec, everyone's a winner.
both courses were wonderful but nothing on the menu beats the cheesecake to share. If you're a fan of cheesecake this is the mother of all mothers. A thick, syrupy biscuit wall encases rich and creamy cheese topped off with a layer of sour cream that finishes the masterpiece, absolutely sublime.
This place doesn't come cheap but at the same time it doesn't do things in halves. If you;re in the area or staying at the hotel is is well worth a visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

After a long day of travel, then a long day of touring, my son and I were happy to give the JW Steakhouse a try. It was worth not leaving the hotel-matter of fact, I would go back even if I was not staying at the hotel. It is not cheap, but the portions were well-sized. We ate the local beef, cooked to perfection the way I ordered it, Medium Rare. The room had a good 'feel', we ate around 7pm and it was still light outside, the room was little with the natural light. The staff was very helpful answering all our questions. For steak-it was great!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went with friends for a dinner catch up, there was 4 of us as couples. Upon entering the restaurant, it was rather bare, it was a huge place over looking Hyde Park. It was a classic old fashioned steak house, the decor was lovely, the food was great as the guys loved the steak! The service was ok, not the best but the atmosphere was bare, nothing........ We haven't returned since & we won't be in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Bar staff produce wonderful cocktails and are very pleasant company. Food great as always but let down by poor quality table service. Asked for our wine to be opened early before we went to our table to no avail. Asked for one of the cuts of the board and then received two mains from the menu. Then they proceeded to be very unattentive left with our starter and main course plates for a most unacceptable time. Final straw was when we booked and when we checked in. No one mentioned that Park Lane was going to be closed at ten and we were going to have to walk to Oxford street to get a cab home. So an evening we had looked forward too was a little spoilt! Not the JW we know and hope this was a small and temporary slip in what is normally great service.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have visited this restaurant on 2 occasions. On my 1st visit, I had crab cake for starter, filet oscar, potatoes au gratin and spinach. While the crab cake had very little filler, it was not all lump meat and it lacked flavor. The filet was cooked to perfection and was wonderful. The sides where nothing spectacular. I would rate the food on my 1st visit a 3 out of 5 but the service I received that night was definitely 5 out of 5 so I decided that I would try the restaurant one more time.I returned a week later and ordered a plain filet, baked potato, and the special side- stuffed portobello mushroom. Once again, the filet was perfect, but the sides were disappointing and the service was TERRIBLE. . Server never stopped by after i received my food and she did Not bring the wine that I ordered at the start of the evening. Not sure if I will be back for a 3rd visit.