“Great birthday celebration”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Patriot Square
Transit: TUBE 3 minutes walk to Bethnal Green tube on the Central Line (between Bethnal Green Road and Hackney Road). Take the 1st exit on the right hand side of the station, walk straight up Cambridge Heath Rd. TRAIN 2 minutes walk from Cambridge Heath Road overground (5 minutes from Liverpool Street) BUSES 26, 48, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388, 394,D3
Description: Viajante offers a blind style tasting menu of 3, 6, or 9 courses for lunch and 6 or 12 courses for dinner. Menus are based on the seasonal availability of produce and on the diner's dietary restrictions. Lunch is served Wendnesday to Sunday: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pmDinner is served Monday to Sunday: 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went to celebrate my birthday with family and friends and the food was great. we all went to the 9 course menu and on top we had 6 amuse bouche. I've been in many Michelin stars restaurants and O Viajante is one of the best. I believe he will receive the second star soon.
Thanks for the great birthday dinner.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

After deciding to go a little off the beaten path, we decided to check out Viajante for supper one cold Sunday evening. Approaching the building from the tube station, there's nothing to really identify the presence of any restaurant here, but sure enough we were greeted immediately after entering and directed to one of two dining areas. We were lucky enough to be seated at a two top immediately in front of the pass with an unobstructed view of small, open kitchen. If you are interested in seeing the ballet that is a well oiled kitchen, this in itself might well be worth the visit, but we were there for the food.

The tasting menu for our seating consisted of five 'snacks', followed by ten blind tasting courses including dessert. Like many restaurants, the snacks were in fact small amuses with some interesting choices including amaranth with sorrel and a gordal olive soup. After a nice pause, the main event began with favourites at the table being the lobster with chicken skin, the prawns with pied de mouton and the Iberico pluma. All of the courses were interesting but some left less of an impression than others. Nothing was remotely bad, but the progression was not as consistent as it could have been.

We chose to have wine pairings throughout featuring mostly Spanish and Australian wines but also including a really unusual slightly tart sake wine served at the end of the meal that might have been better as an apertif, but it was certainly unique. Service was nicely paced throughout and was decidely a team event involving some of the kitchen staff as well as the chef.

The overall feel was relaxed, noise level was a little high probably given our proximity to the kitchen, but the tables are nicely spaced. There is another dining area behind the old fireplace further from the kitchen and a very cool and dark lounge across the hall to chill before or after supper.

If you are looking for something different and don't mind a bit of a hike, Viajnate would be a great choice to check out.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Viajante has never really been on my radar being slightly further out. However we booked after not being able to get a table almost anywhere else in London, we didn't have too high expectations, but still expected a good meal.
Which we got in abundance!
Very trendy servers who do a fantasic job.
We went for the 9 courses, and if I had to do the six courses I couldn't choose any of my dishes that I wouldn't want, which in a tasting menu I think is really saying something.
The food was just so full of flavours and so well done. It is serious food delicately done.
Again some people want meals rather than this sort of thing. But I loved it.
So unexpected and great that when you want a really nice xmas-time meal that you get one!

Tip-if you want to see the open kitchen then ask when booking as one area some people can't see it, but that didn't bother me in the slightest.

1  Thank Likeshisf00d
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had the twelve course tasting menu with wine accompaniment. Certainly, it's the most interesting food I've ever had. Which is not necessarily the same as the most enjoyable. Each course was a culinary experiment, from his famous "milk three ways" desert, or three courses of cod, spread over the evening, because Portugal is famous for it's cod. The courses were small, served on rocks, in special bowls, or to be eaten with the fingers.
Nuno (the chef) presents some of the courses himself, and he's really sweet and passionate. All the staff were attentive and friendly. We had a view right into the kitchen and enjoyed watching the process. By the end we were really satisfied. Where some courses weren't really to our taste, or maybe even put process before end result, it was still worth the experience. If you're going for hearty comfort food, this is not the place for you.
For me, the wine pairing was one of the highlights, with an intricate story of each wine, what makes it unique, and how they came across it. Really knowledgable and enjoyable.
I'm not rushing back, but we did like the experience overall, and we're happy to tick that box of gastronomic cooking. Well worth a visit.
Love the building as well, and the cocktail bar next door to end off the evening.

1  Thank TOSOTC
Reviewed December 4, 2013

After a careful analysis and comparison with other previous degustation experiences, in similar restaurants, this experience wasn’t the best, very far from it.
The ambience:
The austere building doesn’t match with the waiters, that look like trendy pop stars albeit the dark casual uniform. The decoration was simple but too ascetic and, above all, the acoustic was terrible and the space very noisy even if only a few tables were occupied. If one wants to exercise the palate and the eyes the other senses must not be perturbed with loudly and inappropriate music.
The service:
I couldn’t count all the waiters since for each dish there was a different one, what doesn’t help in consistency of service. They were as parrots with a memorized cassette and run away as soon as they deliver the speech. Even the Portuguese girl could only explain the plates in English!!! Sometimes we have to ask to repeat it to understand properly what they have said and it was impossible to know more details about the plates. Of course they were not obliged to know, but should have asked to the chefs.
We were looking forward to meet the famous Nuno Mendes but…no sign of him, nor any other chef or member of the cuisine team. It was Sunday so maybe that was the reason for his absence. This is very impolite for a restaurant of this kind, where the encounter with the chef(s) is part of the degustation experience.
The menu:
We had the 6 courses menu, without wine pairing.
The water tasted like tap water …..in a bottle. No problem, but…they charged 1£ (!!!) for it and some people might dislike tap water. Presently in common good restaurants (no need to be Michelin) they have even a list of different markers of waters. The Portuguese wine we choose was excellent (as almost any Portuguese wine, of course!) and the less expensive one: Quinta de Chocapalha 2010, Lisboa.
There was a redundancy of tastes and ingredients and some dishes tasted almost the same: ”fumeiro” (smoke) and olive oil. Besides, the same ingredient was used repeatedly: chicken skin (at least in two dishes) and milk (at least in three dishes). Diversity wasn’t “the name of the game”. The best amuse bouch was ameijoa à bolhão pato, a typical Portuguese dish created in honor of the Portuguese poet Bulhão Pato; the worse was Yeast and potatoes. The best dish was Iberico pluma with fermented leek and walnuts but the pork was row in the middle, what should always be avoided with pork meat. However, there was an overwhelm of leeks and the taste of it stayed for long. The worse was carrot with butter milk and horseradish. I couldn´t eat it due to the intense and prickly taste. I am Portuguese so I like sea food and fish and those where OK. The desert was milk, milk and simply milk and honestly unlucky, specially the petit fours.
One last thing, the degustation menus are, usually, small portions of several dishes but in this restaurant they exaggerated the “small is beautiful” concept. The Bulhão Pato ameijoas was one (!) per person!! Ameijoas are not oysters as we all know!
I have been to a few degustation restaurants in Portugal and Spain. I am a fan of some, more popular, Portuguese chefs: the great Luis Baena, the Michelliner Avilez, Henrique Sá Pessoa, I appreciate molecular gastronomy so I felt disappointed with this experience.
For 134 £/person and a Michelin star, we were expecting much better.

1  Thank anapom