“Exceeding my high expectations”
Review of Viajante - CLOSED

Viajante
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Patriot Square
Transit: TUBE 3 minutes walk to Bethnal Green tube on the Central Line (between Bethnal Green Road and Hackney Road). Take the 1st exit on the right hand side of the station, walk straight up Cambridge Heath Rd. TRAIN 2 minutes walk from Cambridge Heath Road overground (5 minutes from Liverpool Street) BUSES 26, 48, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388, 394,D3
Description: Viajante offers a blind style tasting menu of 3, 6, or 9 courses for lunch and 6 or 12 courses for dinner. Menus are based on the seasonal availability of produce and on the diner's dietary restrictions. Lunch is served Wendnesday to Sunday: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pmDinner is served Monday to Sunday: 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had relatively high expectations and I already suspected the food would be excellent, but everything about the whole dining experience was outstanding and much more special than I had imagined.

I loved the "snacks" at the start of the meal. I think there's something very satisfying about eating with your fingers, especially when your senses are give the chance to enjoy so many textures. All the staff were exceptionally attentive but not overbearing - quite a hard balance to strike.

The main courses were delicious. I particularly liked the milk dessert. Without sounding pretentious, it was presented like a real work of art. And the beauty of it seemed to be, that it was actually quite simple.

We didn't have any digestifs or teas/coffees but the truffles were out of this world. I was about to ask for a copy of the menu, when a beautiful printed version was brought to us. Seems that the team really does think of everything.

I didn't go for the wine pairing, but my boyfriend did. And how could I refuse trying a few drops of each? I had no idea that dry Tokaj existed - what a wine! My particular favourite was a sweet wine from the Mosel valley though. Really heanvenly.

I liked how the staff took time to explain every course to us, and even answer all my questions. And the open kitchen was fascinating. I liked how close and familiar everything was.

Both being big foodies, my boyfriend and I have been to quite a few great London restaurants over the last months, but nowhere offered the same warm, relaxed atmosphere and personal service.

I want to go back again tonight. And tomorrow. And possibly the night after that too.

Many thanks to the whole team!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was really looking forward to my lunch at Viajante but was really disappointed. Things didnt start well as our welcome was poor and the service indifferent.

Some really interesting ideas and flavours, some of which worked beautifully but others were really wide of the mark. At a cost of £170 per head, the tasting menu with ' beverage pairing' was too expensive although the wines were interesting and complemented the sometimes extremely challenging flavours well. The tasting menu was just that - 9 'courses' plus 5 amuse bouches were each a single mouthful or two and I was disappointed that there were so few high end ingredients at this price

Overall this is a restaurant which doesn't deliver, the tasting menu is overpriced and represents a victory of form over substance, service is nowhere near what I would expect at this level. Very disappointing

2  Thank seniledelinquent
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was my second time at Viajante and it was disappointing. The service was poor, not very attentive and with too much of the wrong sort of attitude. Some of the food was exquisite - the olive soup, the bread, the Iberico pig ribs, and the milk, but there were too many indifferent courses and I wasn't keen on the vegetable courses (carrot and beetroot) at these prices. Wine pairings were good but not as interesting as before and the explanations were often hurried and mumbled. Not the special experience I had last year and I won't be going back.

3  Thank culturevulture43
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A girlfriend's birthday. She really likes to go to top end restaurants & try the Chef's Taster Menu. So off we trot from all 4 corners of London to Bethnal Green - interesting area of London in & of itself - to the Viajante Portuguese restaurant in the Town Hall Hotel. My girlfriend & another guest had arrived before me. They asked me if I'd had the same reception as they'd had: 'where was the rest of the party?' We had to ask for the music in the bar to be turned down. But the 'Darkness' cocktail got my vote. We were twice asked if we were ready to go into the restaurant. Pleasant enough setting., But had to ask for the music to be turned down 3 times. Articulate Maitre d' who clearly explained what was ahead of us. I managed to spill my first dish onto my white top. I used my napkin to clean myself down. I then asked for a clean one. The waiter 'tutted' at me. Yes, 'tutted' at me. The napkin was reluctantly replaced. I spoke to the Maitre D'; service was extremely attentive from there on in. The food was different & on the whole enjoyable. But the price!!!! ee gods! more than a return flight to Barbados - yes, a return flight to Barbados. Won't be making a return visit.

4  Thank Helen H
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let's start with the end. The conclusion.
This restaurant is the best I've visited in England. Without the slightest of doubt - and I have visited quite a few.

Food: Pretty amazing stuff! We went for the 9-course set menu, and I would recommend anyone visiting Viajantes to do exactly that! We also opted for the wine-pairing menu, allowing us to taste wines from new and exiting markets, such as Hungary and Bulgaria, along side French, Italian and Portugese wines.

Location: In Bethnal Green, which to visitors not familiar with London is quite some distance from the Square Mile. However, a taxi will get you there in 20ish minutes. The restaurant is beautiful, and interestingly staff has chosen to use white table cloths on the dining tables. This creates a more laid-back atmosphere, which we definitely liked.

All in all, one of the better food experiences you can find in London right now. Not to be missed.