“Better than Pub Food!”

Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Description: Blissfully hidden down a quiet side street, the 'Princess' has become a Shoreditch institution. From the award winning people behind Smokehouse and the Pig and Butcher, the Princess serves top quality traditional British pub food in the lively downstairs bar and refined British & European cuisine in the elegant and charming dining room. We source the best meat and fish we can using small family companies, farms throughout the UK and south coast day boats. Winner of multiple awards including Timeouts "Best New Gastropub''.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

While they do have some traditional selections such as fish and chips (yum) and shepards pie with a twist (venison was yum!) They have other preparations which change daily and have the flair of a chef! We were there twice, in our long stay...recommend the pork chops but the BEST was the Sticky Toffee Pudding...decadence in a glass and every member at our table swooned. Great staff and a great vibe, beautifully restored with a clean modern approach but still lots of old English appeal.

There are newer reviews for The Princess of Shoreditch

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Excellent service (apart from twice bringing a main course option that wasn't ours!) and a really lovely environment full of character. Not an extensive menu, but very high standard and incredibly tasty! Note that bookings made for dinner upstairs before 8pm have a 2 hour limit. However, a table was set aside for us downstairs when our table upstairs was needed, so was fine. Will go back for sure!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We booked very last minute (we were in a cab heading into the West End!) and they managed to squeeze 5 of us onto a small table upstairs. It was certainly a tight squeeze but well worth it!

We all started with a few of the unique Ales that they had on tap. The India Pale Ale was excellent.

I had the sauteed bacon and crispy hen egg which I can only say was excellent. We also had the fishcake which looked odd (more of a mousse) served with crispy bread but were very nice. 3 of us had the steak and chips and this was excellent. We shared a platter of cheeses which were all very nice but perhaps we didn't order enough for 4 as we demolished it fairly quickly. Service was excellent and the serving staff were friendly and charming. Wine was great, beer was really good and the atmosphere was excellent. Also very good value. Definitely would recommend!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Princess Friday night and found it tucked away in a Shoreditch side street surrounded by after-work drinkers enjoying a warm evening. Inside the airy lower floor was loud and bustling with a hipster crowd and overly pretty bar staff. I was initially concerned that the place was a bit too cool for a pleasant meal, but turns out I was very wrong. After a bit of a wait (during which I admired and sampled their great selection of local craft beers amongst the Belgiums and usual suspects they had on offer) we were shown up the spiral staircase to the dining room for dinner. The room was small and decorated with funky Vicoriana. The five of us sat at a little table and began..
Food was pretty good. I had a yummy scotch egg for starters, there was an amazing artichoke heart to dip in aioli, all very tasty. Main courses were not quite as exciting, but my lamb chop was nicely cooked and pork belly tried was fatty goodness. What really made the meal was the service, from finding us in the bar to the end of the meal, the guys were super lovely, attentive, funny and generally charming. Most amazingly, when my other half received an asparagus tart topped with a poached egg, we all looked to see if the yolk would cascade over the tart when cut. Alas, the yolk was firm and we carried on with the meal without a thought. Within minutes, totally unprompted, a waitress appeared with a fresh poached egg, this time nice and runny! Fabulous, bordering on psychic service.
Final note on the price, although I felt the drinks in the bar a little expensive (maybe I don't drink in Shoreditch enough) the meal itself was very reasonable at just under £35 per head including wine.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I suggested this to friends recently. We all are "foodies" and are what I would call global diners, because we are and have. It's a building and a space with lovely personality, big windows, great light, high ceilings, on a corner. And a cool spiral staircase up to the top floor dining room.

The food was very good, all fresh ingredients, interesting combos and one of the best chocolate fondants we've ever had. Great wine, as suggested by our server, to work with the meals. But the service, from the moment you walk in the door, was stellar. Like you were warmly welcomed into someone's home and looked after. Including our server, who we offered to adopt and take home. Not only was she very knowledgeable, she was genuinely engaged in food, wine and attentive to providing us with a lovely meal and experience.

However, I'm only providing 3 stars instead of 5 because of the noise level. It is not enjoyable to have to shout over the table in order to have a conversation while out at dinner with friends; in fact it is exhausting. When I arrived I noticed the sound level downstairs and was relieved to find out that we were seated upstairs, where it was blissfully on the quiet side. However, that room soon filled up with other diners and too much noise. I appreciate absorbing the sound in an older building can be a challenge, but there are clever ways out there now. Baffling from the ceiling would work at the Princess I think. But far too many restaurants allow this to happen, and it is to their detriment. I really enjoyed the Princess and had been wanting to try it, but I won't be back due to the noise level, unless it's fixed. For a noise level rating, I give it 4 bells out 5.

1  Thank Linda1027